• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Workplace Inter-Personal Relationships

Abe1

I have a few issues with my boss at work, who knows I have Asperger Syndrome.

After a different incident at work, I got frustrated with them as I don’t think they really get the impact it can have on a person.

However they have a grown up son who has had learning difficulties growing up.

So when I mentioned that I thought that they didn’t get the impact of Asperger Syndrome, the person said they did understand it due to their 20 year experience of dealing with their son and to be honest they said it in quite a forceful way.

So my question is. Who is right?

Would the other person have a good knowledge of the impacts of Asperger Syndrome due to their dealing with their son?

Could it be counterproductive as two people with ASD are never the same?

This situation is tricky as my relationship is starting to change with that other person. I need to be careful I am feel I am getting isolated at work, the other person says I am getting myself isolated, something I don’t totally agree with.

Thoughts please and If I am the one in the wrong, I need to know.

It depends on your intent.

If your intent is to drive a wedge between yourself and someone else then attempting to prove how right you are will accomplish that. Sound like you have that one understood.

If your intent is to broaden the thinking of someone who deals with an autistic young adult, you have to understand that their experience is very real for them having lived it every day. They might not be able to see at that moment that autism is a spectrum, for all they can see at that time is very specific portions of the spectrum based upon their experience.

Neither party to the conversation had any interest in being told that they were wrong. So do over, have some compassion for yourself and the other party.

Just because someone has a kid with learning issues or autism certainly doesn't mean they understand. My family seems to be loaded with autistic traits and we don't even understand each other. I had an aunt who knew me for 45 years and my dad (most likely an aspie) prior to that and she never understood anything.

just because they are NT, or an employer, does not mean that they need to fully understand you.

So when I mentioned that I thought that they didn’t get the impact of Asperger Syndrome, the person said they did understand it due to their 20 year experience of dealing with their son and to be honest they said it in quite a forceful way.

Would the other person have a good knowledge of the impacts of Asperger Syndrome due to their dealing with their son?

To answer the question I put in bold: I think probably both of you.

I think it's likely that your boss some kind of understanding of how Asperger's Syndrome can affect a person, even if it is a narrow and/or flawed understanding based solely on their perceptions of their son.

I think it's also possible your boss has a good/excellent understanding of how Asperger's Syndrome affects their son, but little/no understaniding of how it affects you and/or others who are different from their son.

Because I don't know what leads you to conclude your boss doesn't understand how Asperger's impacts you (it would be helpful to me if you felt comfortable enough to share specifics, but I completely understand if you don't) I also wonder:

Is it possible that your boss has a good/excellent understanding of how Asperger's Syndrome affects you and how it affects their son and that the issue is actually one of different ideas about how a situation should be handled.....for example, different ideas of what is and is not fair/just/right/appropriate/most important in whatever the incident was?

Or do you think maybe there could have been some kind of serious miscommunication/misunderstanding that happened between the two of you (totally unrecognized by either of you) rather than any actual difference of opinion or problems with understanding?

I know that in my own life, people who have a really good understanding of all the many ways autism can affect someone might not always accurately see how it's affecting me because, for whatever reason(s): My words are not being understood the way I mean them; Or my behavior/nonverbals are being misinterpreted and, as a result, all sorts of incorrect assumptions are being made about my feelings and intentions; Or they've just gotten an inaccurate impression of my particular profile of ability and disability.

Also just want to add that your boss may have said they did understand in a forceful way because it triggers something about their history with their son.....something that hurts them and makes them feel defensive.

A suggestion for if you want to try to talk your boss about whatever-it-is again is to try to focus on your perspective without making any claim about what theirs seems to be, and ask them questions about their perspective.....so, maybe you could say something like:

"I don't understand why you [whatever they did/didn't say or do]";

Or "I don't understand why you [whatever they did/didn't say or do] given that [whatever you want them to understand about you -- whatever need you have that may have been unmet, whatever intention(s)/action(s)/word(s)/thought(s)/experience(s)/want(s)/etc. of yours may have been misunderstood]";

Or (this may be better.....depends on your boss, I think) "Why did you [whatever they did/didn't say or do] given that [whatever you want them to understand about you -- whatever need you have that may have been unmet, whatever intention(s)/action(s)/word(s)/thought(s)/experience(s)/want(s)/etc. of yours may have been misunderstood]?"

Starting off by saying "I don't understand" would hopefully prevent them feeling accused of anything (no guarantees, though....people are confusing and there are a lot of things people commonly read into stuff that I miss). Hopefully they would then explain their perspective and/or actions to you, and it would clarify to you whether or not they do in fact understand -- and if it clarified that they did not understand, it would maybe give you a starting point to explain to them specifically what they did not understand.

But I'd also caution you to choose your battles wisely....being understood can be essential in terms of getting along with others at your work without constant conflict and/or essential for you to be able to do your job, is it in this case for you? If it's not essential for those reasons, is it important enough for you personally to be understood (which is a totally valid need for most people, and I'm not trying to diminish it at all nor am I trying to tell you how important it should be....it's different for everyone, I think) -- or important enough for you to prove that you are right that your boss doesn't understand how Asperger's affects you/affects people generally -- that you would risk damaging your working relationship with your boss (possibly forever) or even being fired? (I don't know your boss or your workplace -- maybe neither of these things are risks for you if you push the issue, but they would be for many people.)

Last edited:
Thank you all for the detailed replies. Going back a few years and I had a very good relationship with my boss. But there has been massive change in staffing in the department and this had caused major issues and I am increasingly finding myself feeling very sad that so many of my previous team took redundancy.

I do think that my boss is trying their best in a very difficult situation.

One thing is very frustrating for me is while my technical skills are excellent, my communication skills are inconsistent, and I am difficult to be around at times.

As I said before thank you for the replies and keep them coming.

I don't think just because they have a child with a learning disability they will necessarily understand, but if you try and convince said workplace-folk, you will likely drive them away. I know the satisfaction of being right feels pretty fantastic (I am one of those people who is always right), it can take a whole lot of restraint to just let stuff go, I know it takes me a lot anyway:p You'd probably be better off just to let them be, attempting to tell people how to understand autism can be near impossible at times... Frustrating, to say the least, but it is the world we live in. Pushing against a brick wall will only end in you going backwards, unfortunately.

After a different incident at work, I got frustrated with them as I don’t think they really get the impact it can have on a person.

This situation is tricky as my relationship is starting to change with that other person. I need to be careful I am feel I am getting isolated at work, the other person says I am getting myself isolated, something I don’t totally agree with.

No, this person does not understand the impacts of Asperger's Syndrome on everyone, not even totally on their own child, because they are not living it. And furthermore, they can't possibly understand the impact it would have on every Aspie, as it is very different. We know that even from the experiences of people on this board. But here is the catch - I would never, ever expect an NT to really get it or even get that they don't get it if they are convinced that they do. That NT is just being arrogant by thinking they do - or it's some kind of language thing where what they are saying doesn't really mean what they are actually saying. We hear that and think, what an illogical statement - you can't possibly understand the impact of Aspergers without having it and certainly not for all Aspies, regardless of their child. But they might be meaning that they understand something about it due to what they see about their son. In any case, their vision is clouded by their own opinion/perspective/experience of it and their judgements on it.

Wrong or right does not matter that much if you want to try to keep your job.

You are right that your boss cannot understand you just because they have an Autistic son. All of us are different. Your boss has the power to fire you even if they are just having a bad day, let alone if you point out they are wrong thinking that all people on the Autism spectrum are as alike as a carton of eggs.

They clearly have some incorrect ideas about what is happening at your work since they think you are deliberately isolating yourself there. That kind of thinking could be a disadvantage to you, since the personel changes make it a lot harder for you to cope there. I am not sure whether you can do something to change this idea your boss has, in a safe way.

There are several people on here who are better at solutions to problems like this, on this site. One of them is, "Judge", and another is, "Chance". I mention them by name so this thread will show up on their alerts and they may have something helpful to say. There are others as well, but those are the ones I happened to think of at the moment.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies, to be honest I don't understand myself a lot of the time, so to try to get others to understand me is an impossible task.

I think I will try to bite my tongue in future, and also try to fit in a bit more.

Working with me cannot be easy but being me is even more difficult.

An update on this, things have settled down once again in work, and relationships have improved once again.

Thanks again for all your comments and just coming on here and letting off steam really helped.

New Threads

Top Bottom