• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Words hurt.

iwrotethese

(AUTISM & ANXIETY GIRL)

your ableist slang hurts millions.

a couple of years ago, i posted a video on youtube that reached nearly 20,000 views. it was called, "i have autism," and it was very difficult to make. i ended up deleting it because reading the comments was devastating.

i don't want to be to that person--ashamed of who i am and where i come from. i hope to be an advocate for the awareness of mental health as long as i am alive. so once more, i'm trying this out. just a month or two ago, some friends and i created this video.

if you have ever struggled with your mental heatlh, you are not alone. take a few minutes to watch this, and share it if there's any chance it may help someone else. thank you.

Hi miss, i see you are a new member, welcome to AS.
Congratulations on your strengths to show it to the world, its very brave of you.
About the nasty comments, there are unkind and cruel people out there ready to hurt anyone, i'm sorry they hurt you.
Don't ever get down for the hurtful people who want to stop you for being yourself, as you said, you are a hard working young woman, you have people you care about, pets you love, deserves the same respect and happiness as anybody else.
I don't know you but i feel proud of you, i feel you want to make the difference, raising awareness of mental health.
I can imagine you have fight hard, continue to be brave.
Ps: Loved your hair and your voice, and if you have an youtube channel about autism i would like to see.

[QUOTE="iwrotethese, i don't want to be to that person--ashamed of who i am and where i come from. [/QUOTE]

Hi I am sorry you are so sad and were so lonely, I'm a H/F auspie and I have been there, and looked into the abyss, but the black tide rolls out with time. The two haves of my mind are now coming together now, what once hurt me now gives me the power to reach out and pluck unbelievable things from the eye wall of the hurricane, like golden straws. And life does have some poetic justice the people who made fun of me are likely all fat and old, and time has hardly passed for me, so there Ha ha! welcome best wishes Mael Oh sorry nice video

Hello and welcome, You were wonderful in expressing what it can feel like being different, and being autistic. Thank you for sharing this and please try to accept that there is nothing "Wrong" with you, just different. May you delight in who you are and in the beauty that you bring the world.

Peace

Pretty good quality video. As for comments, just disable them. Plenty of videos, even those made by companies and organizations have comments disabled. I believe they just don't want to deal with all the spammers and trolls. If people want to say something to you, they can contact you. I believe most trolls wouldn't want to bother to go through all the trouble if they can't just post in comments. I wouldn't take negative comments (unless they contain useful critical remarks) too seriously. Sometimes people are simply angry at something and like expressing their anger through insults etc.

If epath13 is right and you can disable comments, turn 'em off and leave 'em off. Those people on sites like YouTube, Cracked, and Gaia aren't exactly known for their higher brain functions or sense of common courtesy. If you make them work at it to give you an opinion, like private messages only, you're more likely to get civilized people, unless it's just a really pitiful troll hellbent on having their say. There's no hope for some people.

I wonder if posting the video on a different site like Vimeo might attract a different audience?

New Threads

Top Bottom