• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Wonder if I am the only one to have this issue?

If he knows it bothers you, why is he putting you in the uncomfortable position to do it by yourself? I just don't get the logic with that. Maybe you just need to have someone do certain doors with you for awhile until you get comfortable and can do it on your own.

As someone with a boyfriend who can do similar things (his ability to understand and help varies), in my situation at least, I think he is either a) trying to 'fix' me or train me to do it 'normally' or b) just doesn't get it and can't reason with the feeling that I am doing it on purpose/being obstinate/not being considerate of his needs/imposing on him.

I don't have an issue with doors specifically, though.

I do have a problem going into stores, but for different reasons. I don't like walking in and then the assistants or shop owner look at you, and then want to come and assist you or otherwise engage with you. I don't want to be assissted, I just want to browse in peace. I'm not sure if this as AS or social anxiety issue.

Oh god, that reminds me of the last time I was shopping and hoping to go unnoticed. Of course, the assistant nevertheless came over and asked, "Can I help you?" to which I responded, "Help me with what?" without thinking. :rolleyes: She looked at me like I had two heads or something. Oops.

The door issue is a easy one to deal with, when I'm with my wife I always open the door for her. Problem solved.. .. I really do not think it should be unusual for a man to treat a lady like a lady. Guess maybe I'm old fashion.

Well said old chap! What has happened to good old fashioned manners? I always open doors for a lady. That said though, I had the same issue as AsheSkyler with ambigous doors, opens one way, has handles on both sides and no 'push/pull' sign :confused:. I don't worry too much these days as I've seen plenty of people literally trapped in the bank cos they couldn't open the door and a staff member's had to come and assist them.. I think most people have a sort of momentary mental stall at that point, so I don't feel so self concious when I'm standing there rattling it.. except wheelchair access doors as they can be quite stiff; you push, then pull, push harder, pull harder, then have to look for the button.. and there doesn't seem to be a standard position for it; I've seen big and small buttons between 5 and 15 feet from the doors, left and right side! What's that about? o_O

The worst thing I encounter all the time though are automatic doors usually at supermarkets where they seem to have a slight delay.

I've walked into several of these myself.. sometimes you can pull off a last second, 'casual' slip-through-sideways kinda move to cover yourself, but in my local Asda they're juuust slow enough to trap the shopping basket on the other side, while I'm standing there, red faced for eternity, waiting for them to open enough :eek:
Seems to me there's nothing like the sound of someone crashing into a shop door to attract the attention of millions!

So, I am in a shop with my husband, and he says: hey, to reduce the time, do you want to pop into that shop and I will join you? I tried as casually as I could to say: oh no, it is fine, I will wait here, but alas and LOL he knows me so well, that he gives me that "I know why you want to stay here" and oh, Suzanne, what are we going to do with you? Those phobias have to be dealt with! I just shrug and turn away. HOWEVER what freaked me out was not the actual being in the shop, but GETTING THROUGH THE DOOR of the shop I was in. Yes, I have this awful fear of not opening the door in the right way. I have no idea why this particularly panics me but it does, and stops me from so doing so many things, to help my hubby out.

Oh the shame of it all!

I can understand how different Aspies can have different challenges when it comes to entering busy public spaces. Doors can give me occasional difficulty - thinking the door I am at is the entrance when it is not. But if I end up at the right door, I usually can get in but I get lost once I get inside. First time in a restaurant, store, or bank I can get confused easily. Where does the waiting line begin? A long lineup at a bank can take twists and turns. If I stand in the wrong spot someone usually has to point out to me where I should actually be. How embarrassing!

That's why it's good to be home in my home town of Golden. I do not have to think fast on my feet to deal with unexpected twists.

Last edited:
I can understand how different Aspies can have different challenges when it comes to entering busy public spaces. Doors can give me occasional difficulty - thinking the door I am at is the entrance when it is not. But if I end up at the right door, I usually can get in but I get lost once I get inside. First time in a restaurant, store, or bank I can get confused easily. Where does the waiting line begin? A long lineup at a bank can take twists and turns. If I stand in the wrong spot someone usually has to point out to me where I should actually be. How embarrassing!

That's why it's good to be home in my home town of Golden. I do not have to think fast on my feet to deal with unexpected twists.

Just reading this, made my heart faint lol I have been there and get so flipping flustered that if a hole appeared, I would gladly fall

I used to love riding elevators as a kid! Now they make my head and stomach feel weird, so I end up very disappointed now when I ride them since they aren't as fun as they used to be.

I used to love riding elevators as a kid! Now they make my head and stomach feel weird, so I end up very disappointed now when I ride them since they aren't as fun as they used to be.

Me too. Until I grew up to be an adult who experienced a malfunctioning elevator. :eek:

It kinda soured things after that. o_O

New Threads

Top Bottom