• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Withnail and I

fadedface

This is my all time favourite film I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen or heard of it here?

Withnail & I (1987) - IMDb

Its a cult British comedy made in 1987 and about two out of work actors in the late sixties living in London who decide to spend the weekend in the country. The two main characters are 'Withnail' an outspoken and bitter failed actor who consumes a lot of alcohol and 'Marwood' intelligent and sensitive who wants to be an actor and has found himself living with the tempestuous 'Withnail'. Another side character is their resident dealer of exotic herbs the hippy known as Danny. They spend their days drinking in pubs and trying to heat the squalid flat they live in until they finally decide to get away for a weekend in the country at a house belonging to Withnail's eccentric and gay Uncle Monty who has taken quite the shine to Marwood. The sojourn in the country turns out to be more than 'Marwood' bargained for when Uncle Monty decides to pay them, Marwood particularly a visit...

Overall its an edgy but thoughtful cult comedy but also on another level a touching drama about two disillusioned males who are waiting for a break and whose lives are destined for very different paths. The final scene is one of the greatest in film history in my opinion.

Fans of the Harry Potter movies with recognise 'Uncle Monty' as Uncle Vernon played by the late great Richard Griffiths.

This has to be one of my all time favourite films. Definitely somewhere in my top 10. It really captures what its like to be young with little money, trying to have a good time and escaping unemployment and poverty. Its still very much like that for a lot of young educated people today with the state of the economy.

Watched it countless times and went with a friend to the cottage where it was filmed. We contacted the owner before hand and he let us have a look around inside. Not seen it in a while though, one morning I woke up and my opinion of it had changed completely and I became convinced it was terrible. I still don't know how or why that happened.

New Threads

Top Bottom