• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do you think there are so many autistics who are atheist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never did understand the point of, "Oh you automatically are bad and are now labeled as as sinner". I didn't really like the idea that Jesus got all bloody because of me when he really could have just kicked their butts if it got a group together. Me and bible study didn't get along that well and honestly it was just freaky seeing a grown man wearing barely any clothes being put on a cross covered in blood.

I was atheist for a very long time till I decided to research what religion I wanted to follow on my own.

Sorry to follow the "logical robotic Autie" stereotype, but the reason I am an atheist isn't because religion just doesn't make sense to me, from a logical standpoint. There is no scientific proof for the existence of "higher beings", and putting blind faith in something I cannot know is real is not something I can get behind.

Its not that I am against Christians... Its all the divisions within the religion itself that makes no sense to me.
Its all about logic and being real with what is claimed to be believed.
40,000+ denominations and divisions over 1 very great persons life... that mostly avoid his teachings like a plague... It makes no sense, thats where I derail. But please never think I dislike anyone for their beliefs. I just dig deeper than many I guess.

Its not that I am against Christians... Its all the divisions within the religion itself that makes no sense to me.
Its all about logic and being real with what is claimed to be believed.
40,000+ denominations and divisions over 1 very great persons life... that mostly avoid his teachings like a plague... It makes no sense, thats where I derail. But please never think I dislike anyone for their beliefs. I just dig deeper than many I guess.

It's a case of man trying to create God in his image instead of the other way around. That's why I left traditional church and denominationalism a long time ago. Since then, I have found a much closer relationship with God since I can fellowship with Him without dealing with the precepts of a man-made doctrinal system.

Why do so many NTs have religion?

They are more easily comforted by ideas that don't quite add up since they're less logical.

They get more from socializing than we do, and they're better at it. A religion is a society and provides opportunities for people to meet others.

They are more prone to put others down and get some reward from this, religions tend to define their members as being better than the non-members who fail to acknowledge the way that things 'really are'.

They have a stronger herd instinct than we do. This is part of the reason that they go to sporting events and cheer for people who don't know them, they are somehow able to feel part of a team that they are not part of. This is part of the reason that they go to political rallies, the Nazis took great advantage of this and had them cheering together in a similar way to the sporting events. This is part of the reason that people join the KKK, again there are torchlit gatherings and an enemy to focus on.

They are less likely to question authority. If, as children, they are repeatedly told by the adults in their life that a particular religion is true, they are likely to believe that throughout their lives.

They are more capable of feeling comfortable in whatever group of people they find themselves in, and will change their beliefs (at least outwardly) in order to fit in. We complain about having to act in order to fit in, but I'm not at all sure that we act more than they do, I know that in my own case acting is very draining. I am conscious of having to act, whereas I believe that many NTs act as a matter of course and it is little strain; possibly they would be uncomfortable if they were not given a role to perform. They are used to fitting in, and probably less comfortable than we during the relatively infrequent times that they actually don't fit in.

Why are so many of us on the spectrum religious in spite of the absence (generally speaking) of the above traits?

I have come to this thread late but would like to chip in. I mostly like the teachings of Christianity. I was raised in a Lutheran church but stopped going when I was a teenager. I don't know if it's aspie logic but I find I just don't seem to have any capacity to be spiritual, whether we are talking about Christianity or something else. Even if I like the idea in of itself. I can't call myself atheist as that would be confirming my believe in something when I don't claim to know the answers of the universe. I guess that makes me agnostic.

I read the bible a couple years ago and after found most of the story more unbelievable, particularly the old testament. Usually it's one person supposedly talking to god and then telling his followers what god supposedly told him. Hmm....ok. Though I find the message to be positive and beneficial to a society provided they don't pervert it and twist it into something of their own image.... good luck.

What I don't like to see is how western world so heavily condemns Christianity which you can believe in or not, but it is generally well meaning I think. This thread so far is no exception. What about other religions? What about Islam? Most of the world is under the threat of islmaification within the next century or less than a decade for parts of Europe unless current trends are halted and reversed, but people are still too busy attacking Christianity. I would think only East Asia and Latin America have a reasonably strong chance to resist. When the western world (and africa, india...etc) is dominated by a religion that turns women into nothing more than property on par with cattle and gay people slaughtered for their way of life, will the so called "progressives" be proud of their achievements? It is not PC to criticize Islam (which in of itself is a mark of sharia law) then they (the "progressives") will result to their usual name calling. In this case "Islamophobic" and "Racist" (Even though Islam is not a race). The suffix in Islamophobia suggests to have an irrational fear of something. There is nothing irrational to be feared when your familiar way of life is to be replaced with Islam. One just has to look at the quality of life most people in the middle east and North Africa enjoy or see the rotting cesspool parts of Europe have become. Do the "progressives" think "Wouldn't it be wonderful if the whole world could be so diverse and culturally rich like that? Look at what a utopia Somalia is. We should do that everywhere." I could dig up pictures if need be that shocked me how life in Afghanistan used to be. We have all seen the reality of life for women in Afghanistan. Did you know they used to be humans once before it all went to hell? Women could have educations (even university) and dress like women and be treated with respect? It's a good thing "progress" came along to fix all that. :rolleyes: Just wait for the "progress" your local "progressives" have in store for you.

Alright sorry this thread is supposed to be about autistic atheists. I'm getting off the trail but just want to see religions attacked fairly, or at least evenly for a bare minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom