• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do you listen to metal

thejuice

I listen to metal because I'm easily frustrated. I get frustrated when I have to think or do anything. I get frustrated with myself when im not doing anything. I get frustrated multiple times a day.

I go nuts if I listen to metal. Put me in a room blasting heavy metal music and I would go into major crisis mode. Same situation plus a person talking to me would result in disintegration of the self.

Sorry, not answering your question, but maybe it gives you an idea of how different we all can be. Have you considered other outlets for frustration? Do you think that listening to metal helps you?

Metal music sometimes gives me an energy boost. It can be thrilling to listen to. It can also be a release of pent up aggression or a way to feel painful emotions.

However it can sometimes prolong anger or make it worse.

It sometimes is over stimulating and the last thing I want to hear.

Metal also makes my tinnitus and ear ache worse. So does a lot of genres. Brass band music Im very physically intolerant too!

Listening to Metal music is a bit of a trade off.

Last edited:
Other outlets I guess could be drawing I've done that once or twice. Keeping a diary. Fibromyalgia means I'm limited exercise wise. Aggressive exercise would be counter productive. I can walk or swim though. I have stress balls. My ex therapist tried to teach me to let go of things and feel instead of think.

Last edited:
I'm old school rock from the 70's and 80's, Foreigner, Journey, Van Halen, Queen, Aerosmith, to name a few. There's got to be actual singing, enough separation to actually appreciate each instrument and vocal, and a good rhythm and beat to it. Judas Priest, Motley Crue, and Metallica is about as "metal" as I could appreciate in the 80's and 90's. The metal from the past 20-30 years is far too "compressed" to the point where it just smacks of noise, and the growling and roaring, it's just a barrage of sound that is irritating, at best.

I'm old school rock from the 70's and 80's, Foreigner, Journey, Van Halen, Queen, Aerosmith, to name a few. There's got to be actual singing, enough separation to actually appreciate each instrument and vocal, and a good rhythm and beat to it. Judas Priest, Motley Crue, and Metallica is about as "metal" as I could appreciate in the 80's and 90's. The metal from the past 20-30 years is far too "compressed" to the point where it just smacks of noise, and the growling and roaring, it's just a barrage of sound that is irritating, at best.
Fair enough I can understand that, some of it might be that that's what you grew up with. I grew up with nu metal which was loud and pilloried by the old school metal heads, to the point where it's banned to discuss in some circles online because it's not deemed metal by the genre police. I find myself having somewhat of an attitude like the old guard when it comes to modern metal today. It sounds so bad compared to my era and especially earlier eras. It sounds like industrial "refrigerator buzz".* White noise mastering and computerisation has made it so stale. Then again my taste is already set in stone and not liable to change to accommodate changes in commercial production style. However I doubt many modern bands will be playing at rocks clubs in 25-30 years like nu metal still is, so the genre did something right.

*To quote Thom Yorke

Last edited:
I like growling/screaming/shouting/wailing/ shrieking. It's like putting distortion or a dramatic effect on a guitar as an intensity enhancer and extreme music needs it. Thankfully it's not all compressed like your 20,000 leagues under the sea. Black metal for example has reacted in the opposite direction.

Last edited:
Once in a while I find a song by a metal band that I like, but it tends to be a song that has been toned down or is more melodic to begin with. I think the loud diving aspect can be effective and interesting but only in small doses.

Often as well the instruments and vocals are all in competition with each other, each trying to be heard over the other and it creates a unharmonious cacophoney.

I don't necessarily mind loud noise of itself, but it is more pleasent for me if there is a regularity to it. I can sometimes find enjoyment being around loud machinery. One of my oldest memories is my Dad taking me down into the Boiler room of the project we lived in. It seemed super loud but did not create an unpleasent reaction.

Listening to metal, but then playing it add different feelings, as well. Playing it live offers a deeper feel overall, and one tends to feed off of the crowd also rather enjoying it. To be whom is doing the vocals adds another layer. It is absolutely release in ways, but with the fact that metal can spread out into further stylings, you just further emotions from it. It's not all just abrasive sounds. I felt completely different things at a Van Halen concert compared to Sepultura/Biohazard tour or then Deftones or then Helmet. Then there's stuff like I record and release lately that harkens back to Hum.

Tones and tempos are really what's at play (no pun intended, but I like that it comes across as such). Down-tuned instruments change everything from abrasion to full tone, and tempos can have you chill and bouncing or ready to run through a wall.

Artificial loudness is an effective blunt force vibe but it will fatigue your ears over a whole album

I do not listen that often to metal. When I do it is usually black metal, more specifically the genre atmospheric black metal. To say why I listen, when I do, is not that easy, since the act of listening, and music itself, is often wordless. It is a direct way to connect with feelings through vibrations. I listen, for instance, to black metal, when I feel it can help me break through otherwise impenetrable layers of emotion. An outburst, often triumphant, majestic and explosive, of energy that helps me to do that.

I was shocked when I realised most people focus on vocals and lyrics over the other musical content. I view the vocalist as just another instrument. I'm not saying that's correct or better.

When someone tells me they can't hear the lyrics, to me it's not really that relevant. It's a nice bonus to look up the lyrics if I really connect with the soul of the music and want to understand the band on a deeper level.

I listen to a lot of metal. My favorite kind of metal is prog metal, though. And my favorite prog metal band is Opeth.

New Threads

Top Bottom