• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why are people okay with this?

Having consciously witnessed unsolicited experiences of the dead standing before me, I don't have a choice about rigidly defining terms like "life or death". With even my medical doctor unable to honestly comment on what happened, having ruled out any pathological evidence of hallucinations or being able to offer any other empirical explanation.

Since then I have had other experiences, which allow me to conclude that there is a great deal of witnessed happenings in the presence of others for which science is unable to fully explain. Where your entire understanding of the physical and scientific world changes, and you can't get it back.

As for all the cosmic details that follow, I have no clear answer to them. Only that I can only speculate, and somewhat contrary to what so much religious dogma claims.

Am I ok with all this? I was never given a choice.

Last edited:
I'm alright with paying for my sins, or being re-incarnated, but will I have to finish all the things I've been putting off?

Seriously though, all I can believe is that all life, all matter, all space is part of a universal whole. We spring up of the earth (or wherever) exist for a span of time in a highly energized state, then that state changes. I have witnessed three deaths, and obviously part of us, the matter of our being changes to a less energized state.

What happens to the non-material aspects of our being? Matter and energy are not destroyed, they only change states, so while our bodies go limp and turn back to nutrients and soil, our conciousness, life force, spirit must also change state into something else.

Whether we are aware of this change, or recall our previous state, is something we'll all have to experience to know.

Should be interesting.

Last edited:
The difference is because before, one had no history. It was a blank space, so to speak, but once born and gathering "data" throughout life, paints a very different picture.

It is ok to not feel ok about ceasing to exist, because in fact, one of my favourite scriptures Ecclesiasties 3:11 that says: He has put time indefinite into their hearts. And coupled with what Jesus did for all humankind, shows that we were never meant to die in the first place and why, for many, there is a deep dissatisfaction!

Because People are eternal beings, And Many subconsciously, know there is going to be some type of judgment, some to fear, some to fierce denial, some to anger, some to repentance, very few have no emotional response, except maybe the young you think death is far from them

I don't think animals contemplate death or afterlife.

That's peculiar... because I'm an animal and I've contemplated those things.

Why is it that most people are okay with not existing before they were born but are frightened at the thought of no longer existing after death? I have no memory or knowledge of a "before" life, so that must mean there is no "after" life, either.

But then again, the thought that *this* is the only life we get is pretty depressing.

-Death is a prospect we not only have to face on our own, but for others. It's hard to think of anything more confusing than _______________. There is no coherent concept for it.

Aside from the profound confusion of that prospect, of our thoughts becoming nothing, the death process can be traumatic. People hear and read about the death process, see it themselves, and even may have to assist others in the middle of that experience, seeing it happen firsthand over a prolonged period.

I've seen my fair share of death. Many people have seen more of it than me, but then again, it's fair to say that easily most people I'll meet aren't going to be people who have had this much familiarity with death forced upon them by the time they're only my age. I've taken care of multiple dying family members, and had a dizzying number of people close to me die.

It could take a book if I really wanted to write everything that's been on my mind and bothering me about death. So your question is pretty hard to answer, suffice it to say I'm very much not okay with death.

Last edited:
I hold that we are LIVING proof of what that judgement is! I hold judgement to be one of the worst of all possible actions and I will not ascribe this to God. I hold there is wheat and chaff in all done by and through the work of man and holy scriptures of any sort are no exception. The God I serve is not a respecter of persons. Mine is a Lord of UNQUALIFIED love that is Infinite and Eternal.

.... And how exactly are you answering the OP here?

Why is it that most people are okay with not existing before they were born but are frightened at the thought of no longer existing after death? I have no memory or knowledge of a "before" life, so that must mean there is no "after" life, either.

But then again, the thought that *this* is the only life we get is pretty depressing.

There is so much in this neat little package. First off, you cannot really claim that we didn't exist in some way or another prior to our birth. If we're honest with ourselves, we'll admit that we just don't know for sure. It's entirely possible that, for reasons unknown, we simply do not recall who or what we were before we ended up on Earth. Now, I'm not saying that this is the case, or even likely, but there are no reasons I can think of why it cannot at least be a possibility.

"Most people are okay with not existing before they were born" - Well, maybe. We don't really know, because to my knowledge there is no research on this. However, if true, it could be because non-existence is something that no one, at any time ever, has actually experienced. Non-existence is beyond experience, it cannot be an experience of any kind - by definition.

Point Three - being "frightened at the thought of no longer existing". Well, that depends. Some of us are not afraid of this (like me). Others just don't believe that death really is the end.

Point Four - "I have no memory or knowledge of a "before-life", so that must mean there is no "after-life" either".
Your logic is flawed, because it does not automatically follow that simply because you have no recollection of something that it therefore didn't happen. I don't remember the person I was when I was six months old. There are lots of things I no longer recall, but they were nevertheless just as real as this point in time where I am now writing this response to you.

Because People are eternal beings, And Many subconsciously, know there is going to be some type of judgment, some to fear, some to fierce denial, some to anger, some to repentance, very few have no emotional response, except maybe the young you think death is far from them

I don't think animals contemplate death or afterlife.

Upon what basis have you established that "people are eternal beings"? They might not be. "Many subconsciously know there is going to be some type of judgement" - umm, no. Why do you say this?

Deep down, in our heart of hearts, we all know that we (individually, I mean) have done wrong. This sense of right and wrong is built in...

Not everyone. Sociopaths for example don't care about "right and wrong". They do what they like and don't care about whether or not they hurt anyone in the process.

...so we all have this ruler by which we automatically measure and judge our own behaviour.

We do? Who might that be? Can you give me a hint?

We accuse ourselves or excuse ourselves, but we always analyse ourselves and others (“I’m not as bad as Hitler,” for instance.) We all know we haven’t done as well as we should have, and we know that doing badly should require punishment.

Nope, I do not agree. Why should "doing badly" (on a test?) require "punishment"?

“It is appointed man once to die, and after this, the Judgement” haunts us and rings in our ears even if we claim we don’t believe it. Inside, we know it's true. We know the judgement is coming and that it will turn out badly for us, so we fear death.

No, we do NOT "know it's true". Well, at least I don't. How do you "know it will turn out badly for us"? How do you know this?

We might tell ourselves ‘there is no judgment,’ ‘there is no afterlife,’ but when we do, our internal sense of justice tells us if that were true, Hitler and Pol Pot would have got away with it, so we know that can’t be the right answer.
Maybe you tell yourself you’re better than some others, and so the judgment will (magically) turn out ok. Or maybe you say “if my ‘good’ outweighs my ‘bad’ I’ll be ok.” But those are rules you made up yourself, and since you’re not the judge, you have no reason to think that works.

Some people simply don't have an "eternal sense of justice". They go on to do all sorts of nasty things. Surely you must know this.

The trick is, that you must find out what the Judge requires of you. And here it is: “Therefore, you be perfect even as your Father in Heaven is perfect.” (Jesus said that.)

There's a trick? Yeah, I don't really care about what someone who lived approximately 2,000 years ago claimed without a shred of verifiable evidence. That kind of thing just doesn't work for me.

A tough order? Yes. Impossible? Yes, for you, and impossible for me too. But I believe God provided a way for us. It involves:
Turning from your bad behavior, as best as you know how
Turning toward God and letting Him rule your life, as best as you know how
Trusting that Jesus' sacrifice was sufficient to save you from that upcoming judgement.

Which "God"? There are so many of them. Jesus' "sacrifice" means precisely zero to me. In any case, how can it be seen as being a sacrifice if it's actually true that after three days he ascended into heaven to be by his "father's side"? That's not a sacrifice, that's a temporary inconvenience.

I believe that truth is exclusive; things are either true or false. That is, it’s either true for everyone or it’s false for everyone.

The claim, "It will rain tomorrow". Is that true, false, or undecided? I realise these are your beliefs, but I'm not a believer in the law of the excluded middle. Life, and reality in general, just isn't like this. It isn't either black or white, with no possibility of grey. Such simplistic thinking truly baffles me, I could never quite understand it.

When they say they wish they were never born it's just that they would be willing to sacrifice all life experiences, good and bad to not experience life in the first place. (In that moment. Sort of how someone who is angry may say I'm going to kill you!! to their kid or friends (when angry) but when the emotion passes they aren't actually intent on such a thing)
When it comes to death, the individual may not fear it. However it would still have many ramifications. Your death could effect your siblings, parents on a deep level other family members, friends and colleagues who may feel close to you. It's like a cause and effect "Bomb" that sets so many things in motion... Just like how having a baby is life changing and is also another cause and effect "bomb". Death would be the opposite polarity of this but similar in terms of causes and effects. And if your life was taken by your own hand you would largely be responsible for what happens to those effected. Their misery and despair, actions. Which circles back to the great unknown. The uncertainty of: reincarnation, life after death, karma, that people hold.

Also... i think most people would be afraid of death because... well... Just take a minute and look at videogames. Television shows. Movies. The news. It's all overwhelmingly infused with death and tied to fear or horrific ways of parting. It's very easily over 95% of all popular television shows, movies and video games. Tomorrow take out a notebook and jot down every single time you see or hear of death or the word kill. Your mind would be blown. Ever since you were a little child, death was still part of childrens movies too, part of your world. Which shapes everyones beliefs on it.

If this was the opposite and people were conditioned to think of death not unlike mass suicide cult members well.... you'd certainly have alot less people fearing it and most even desiring it. I don't think that would make for profitable members contributing their taxes and expertise formed over decades.

Upon what basis have you established that "people are eternal beings"? They might not be. "Many subconsciously know there is going to be some type of judgement" - umm, no. Why do you say this?

So what do you say we were created by nothing for no reason going nowhere and there is no justice in eternity. Just aimlessness?

So what do you say we were created by nothing for no reason going nowhere and there is no justice in eternity. Just aimlessness?

God no. I didn't say that, and I don't believe it either. "Nothing", which by definition isn't anything at all, has no creative powers (or anything else), which is why I so disagree with the likes of Lawrence Krauss when he discusses cosmology and tries to change the meaning of the word "nothing". I asked how people could be "eternal beings" because as I understand it we are born, we live, and then we die. As far as anyone knows there is nothing beyond this life, although there may be unexpected reasons for this, and we may be in for a surprise. Maybe.
Anyway, that is my point - i.e. we just do not know, so the claim made is unjustified. I also do not myself have some kind of subconscious knowledge that I will be judged (for what?), so that other comment is something I can't relate to either.

This is in reply to @Pats comment.
:)
Positive post! Thanks. I needed to hear from others who still believe and acknowledge God.

New Threads

Top Bottom