• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why am I so forgetful.

So I'm really stressed out right now. I am a sophomore in college, who lives in the dorms, and I just found out that I missed the deadline for applying for housing next year. I honestly don't know how I forgot it, especially since it closed 20 DAYS AGO. I seem to be so forgetful yet I remember so many little things that don't matter. I can remember the craziest things yet I don't remember to do so many things that I need to do. I often forget to do things like shower, brush my teeth, eat, test dates/times(haven't missed one though, luckily), responding to emails, etc. This is the first time I've really forgotten something this big, usually I have others that constantly remind me, but recently I have not had anyone to do that. I feel like this is making my life so much harder and is probably contributing to a lot of my stress. I guess I would like some input, but I honestly just don't know what to do. I feel like I can't handle being an adult.
I would appreciate any input and I would like to know if other people are generally forgetful as well. (please don't say, "Don't freak out," that won't help me.)
Thanks.
I was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult. It was never obvious because I wasnt hyperactive as a kid and I did well in school but I was and still am very absent-minded. I’ve screwed myself over so many times Ive gotten used to it but still berate myself inside. I’ve lost checks - for large amounts of money, my keys locked in the car, not paid bills, traveled to Europe and walked around Barcelona with a 10 month old at night bc I hadn’t planned well enough to book a room (did end up finding one), gotten into a car accident for being distracted, and the list goes on and on and on. Once I started treatment I got much better. It’s been a couple of years since I locked my keys in the car. Maybe an evaluation would be worth it ?? Good luck. I totally get your frustration.

Ha, think that's bad? I forgot to register to graduate from college! IIRC my advisor mentioned it on the last day it was due, so I dropped an F-bomb & sped off to wherever I had to go (this was 16 years ago). More recently I forgot to get my car inspected. Was painfully reminded of this when I got pulled over & ticketed. Funny thing is, I can remember distinctly telling myself I need to get my car inspected back when it was due, but promptly forgot about it. It has been almost a year since it was due...

New Threads

Top Bottom