• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Whitewater Woman's Equipment Maintenance and Repair

I'd go with the metal sheeting or with more fly screen as you suggested. I wouldn't waste my time with plywood, even what they call "marine ply" is rubbish and it will just rot.

Those metal sheets are roofing sheets with a brand named coating called Zincalume. You can buy it in two trays wide as can be seen in your picture, and also 3 trays and 4 trays, it sort of took over from the old corrugated iron. This roofing is especially popular in commercial buildings, if you talk to some builders they'd probably be able to give you enough offcuts to do the job you want.

Side note: It always spins me out seeing houses made of timber, most of Australia has termites so everything's made of concrete and steel.

Yeah that's not a good spot for plywood. You'll have to replace it again and again. I would not use plywood there. There is something called exterior vinyl siding panel. Very durable and looks nice. Lots of different options and colors, these are just some examples:

1715204387477.png

Last edited:
The outdoors also has dogs, and raccoons, and other critters that might get through a low screen, if that is a concern. There are old plywood boats - longevity is a function of coating and care. In many cases the "best material" is the one you have on hand that fits easily, or the one you are familiar with working. Metal is also used for siding, generally with fewer and shallower stiffening bends. If you are only finding short offcuts, you can use them like shingles.

The ply wood is rotting due to mold. the metai is siding, most likely aluminum, could be galvanized and painted steel. Aluminum is light in weight.

Last edited:
I'd go with the metal sheeting or with more fly screen as you suggested. I wouldn't waste my time with plywood, even what they call "marine ply" is rubbish and it will just rot.

Those metal sheets are roofing sheets with a brand named coating called Zincalume. You can buy it in two trays wide as can be seen in your picture, and also 3 trays and 4 trays, it sort of took over from the old corrugated iron. This roofing is especially popular in commercial buildings, if you talk to some builders they'd probably be able to give you enough offcuts to do the job you want.

Side note: It always spins me out seeing houses made of timber, most of Australia has termites so everything's made of concrete and steel.
Excellent. I agree about the plywood, but don’t trust my judgments being new at this game.
Most everything in Florida is concrete. I don’t know why they made my house with wood. There have been some termite infestations, but the only reason it got bad was….well, let’s not go there. I will need to keep a sharp eye out for termites.
Yeah that's not a good spot for plywood. You'll have to replace it again and again. I would not use plywood there. There is something called exterior vinyl siding panel. Very durable and looks nice. Lots of different options and colors, these are just some examples:

View attachment 129676

I like the shake pattern. I’ll look into it. Thank you.
The outdoors also has dogs, and raccoons, and other critters that might get through a low screen, if that is a concern. There are old plywood boats - longevity is a function of coating and care. In many cases the "best material" is the one you have on hand that fits easily, or the one you are familiar with working. Metal is also used for siding, generally with fewer and shallower stiffening bends. If you are only finding short offcuts, you can use them like shingles.

Good point about wild animals outside wanting to come in. In the past there has been dog food stored on the porch, which attracted possums. I could put the roofing or vinyl siding where the external porches are and screen the rest. Usually, they just go through the cat door if I forget to close it or they pry open the screen doors if I don’t lock them. Haven’t had any try to go through the screens and I will not store pet food on the porch.

However, I did have fire ant poison on the porch and a possum got in and ate half a big bag. I never saw that possum again.

THANK YOU ALL.

Marine plywood is no more waterproof or rot-resistant. The money goes into making sure there are no internal voids to help a leak do more damage. Aircraft plywood is the same, except that it is guaranteed that no grain is more than 10 degrees from flat.

New Threads

Top Bottom