• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

what's the opposite word to 'suffering'?

lynne

:bounce::stomp::wavespin::spin:
Hello! I am new here and I just want to say
"I am certainly NOT suffering from Aspergers"
I began to read all about autism five or so years ago when I got to that point in my life when I realised it was ME that was the 'problem'. Since then my life has taken off.
My favourite phrase now is
"Know thyself"
and after a shaky start I havn't looked back. It all began when I was beaten to within an inch of my life, that I toyed with the idea that I had been projecting my natural desire to Bounce, stomp and wavespin onto others and all these amazing men I had been dating throughout my life were, in fact, what I had hiding deep down inside of me. In fact, when I married my ADHD husband I did a bounce, stomp, wavespin on the alter (to my horror) when he prematurely kissed me. There was a lot of love there that day in the 400 strong congregation. But, sadly, as I began to discover myself and pull away from the social dependancy on my husband, his ADHD kicked in. My attention roamed elsewhere (to me and not him) and we are now separated. I am truly alive for the first time in my life.
And how did I find myself? By going Right brain. I formed a women's only group (I'd been a strict tomboy up til then) and made us all do things we were terrified of. Art, dance, acting and, of course, singing. The group took off and attracted other Aspies and now we are all on stage and have our own theatre group. I was a scientist before all this and as I discovered, my right brain wasn't a thing to be terrified of.

I would like to share this with you all. I see Aspergers as 4D. The world is scary because we don't see it in 3D like NT's do, so we construct our own safety net. When this becomes a prison we break out. After years of falling flat on my face, armed with the notion that I had Aspergers, I hit the deck running and I've never looked back. I have proved again and again in my life that I begin a new
project far slower than my NT friends then, as I gather momentum, I end up surpassing anything they'ld ever dreamed of.

My only concern now is that the more I do right brain, the less Aspie I will be. And now that WOULD be sad.

Whoever you are, and whatever you become, you'll always have us to speak to!

Welcome to the forums!

Enjoying, I think, is the word you are looking for. I think we all know the freedom you are talking about--it comes with the diagnosis. Before, we had to think the world was bad, or we were. Now, we are free to be different without condemnation going either way.

Hi Lynne!

Welcome to the forum. You sound like a happy & adventurous person: one of the more gregarious & sociable people among us. There are several other Aspies here who are into dance performance & acting & art (LOTS of artistic Aspies, actually) so you'll definitely have a lot to talk about with them. As with other so-called 'disordered' people, we share some common traits & tendencies but individual differences are notable too. Some members are very emotional & sensitive, some are emotionally quite flat-lined (like me). Either way, it is a fun & accepting place. Oh: I think the opposite of suffering might be rejoicing.

Welcome! Welcome!

I love the 4D analogy. That fourth dimension is endlessly fascinating, even if it's not always pleasant, and I certainly wouldn't being it able to see it for anything.

I think it's fantastic how proactive, confident and fulfilled you are, and I wish your women's group all the best. I also love performing, by the way.

My antonym for suffering would be flourishing.

Enjoying, I think, is the word you are looking for. I think we all know the freedom you are talking about--it comes with the diagnosis. Before, we had to think the world was bad, or we were. Now, we are free to be different without condemnation going either way.

I am glad you understand.

Rejoicing is good. Very good.
I am very flat lined usually, able to steer through crisis after crisis but once tipped over an edge i am most definitely very sensitive and very emotional. It's lovely to hear everyone's experience and realise it is OK to be exactly who we are. I do try to dig my feelings out in the here and now and expose them. I hate to wait til they build up and blurt out. It does me no favours. I have an NT boyfriend at the moment who can see my mood changes before I can. He's very helpful. Its fun.

Flourishing is spot on. That is exactly how I feel. Flourishing, yes. And very excited. I do tend to be looking out of the corner of my eye at the moment wondering if it'll all come tumbling down, like your Johny Depp picture, but I'm determined. Don't ever want to go back to the manic depression days of old. I love the fourth dimension and would love to be introduced to people who can obsess with me.

I don't understand the 4D analogy at all. If anything, people on the spectrum see in 3D and neurotypicals see in 4D (the 4th dimension being "the social dimension").

I feel the opposite. I will admit that the social interaction is the thing stumping me now. I seem to have grappled with everything else happily. Tell me this. Why would a disproportionate amount of people always want to confide in me, tell me their darkest secrets, invariably stating ' its weird, ive never told anyone this before'. I feel I can see deeper than them. I know what's behind the mask. Why would I be such a good actress? They would have called me a shapeshifter once. People describe my eyes as penetrating.
But I must say I have an NT boyfriend right now who sees my mood changes quicker than me. Its great fun exploring it with him.

New Threads

Top Bottom