• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What will DSM 6 decide?

Divrom

V.I.P Member
Well, after DSM V defined us aspies out of existence, I'm curious what DSM 6 will do.

Personally, I think that the non-specific ASD will prove insufficient for diagnostic purposes.

What do you think?

Personally, I think that the non-specific ASD will prove insufficient for diagnostic purposes.

I've always thought that was the deliberate intent of the DSM-V.

A medical protocol influenced by "outsiders". Politicians and insurers with the intent to reduce the number of positive diagnoses as part of an effort to control costs and limit healthcare coverage to politically and fiscally accommodate the "Affordable Care Act".

A political solution once intended to pragmatically benefit both political parties. Just not the American people.

Last edited:
DSM V didn't really put us out of existence, it just changed our diagnosis to ASD. I wish they wouldn't have confused everyone though.

@kay Without the DSM there would be no way to know who can get IEPS, accommodations, or collects disability income. I'm not big on labels but I think it's necessary.

Can we be optimistic and hope the DSM just goes away entirely?

Fat chance.:pig::( The DSM is a diagnostic tool that speeds things up and simplifies patient care, thereby making more money for many people. Something so handy and profitable is not going to go away easily.

Fat chance.:pig::( The DSM is a diagnostic tool that speeds things up and simplifies patient care, thereby making more money for many people. Something so handy and profitable is not going to go away easily.

Yep. Spoken like a Capitol Hill health care lobbyist. :eek:

DSM V didn't really put us out of existence, it just changed our diagnosis to ASD. I wish they wouldn't have confused everyone though.

@kay Without the DSM there would be no way to know who can get IEPS, accommodations, or collects disability income. I'm not big on labels but I think it's necessary.

Oh, I know we need something but I would rather it be something of quality put together properly. The DSM is just too terrible of a mess to keep. It's long past time to find a better guide book.

Oh, I know we need something but I would rather it be something of quality put together properly. The DSM is just too terrible of a mess to keep. It's long past time to find a better guide book.
Perhaps the DSM should just be improved then.

:eek::( That doesn't mean I agree with it or like it. I figure we are heading towards computer diagnoses and the DSM helps that along.

LOL....oh I figured you didn't like it to begin with. ;)

I can sometimes process sarcasm that isn't directed at me personally.

Perhaps the DSM should just be improved then.
We need someone other than the American Psychiatric Association writing a book for diagnosis. Some neurologist should get together and come up with a new manual. The APA seems like a rather odd choice for deciding who is autistic. Actually I don't think I trust them to figure out much of anything.

Human neurology doesn't change appreciably from one continent to another. :rolleyes:

Consequently it seems only right for the world to have a single medical protocol relative to autism, IMO.

Take politics and economics out of the equation and just focus on humanity.

I've always thought that was the deliberate intent of the DSM-V.

A medical protocol influenced by "outsiders". Politicians and insurers with the intent to reduce the number of positive diagnoses as part of an effort to control costs and limit healthcare coverage to politically and fiscally accommodate the "Affordable Care Act".

A political solution once intended to pragmatically benefit both political parties. Just not the American people.
Exactly. It's all political.

Yeah, I feel bad for people that need the help that can't get diagnosed because they are off by one or two DSM criteria.
Especially people who can't afford a diagnosis. We had to pay pretty good money for my son to be diagnosed. I don't even want to think about what could happened if we didn't have the money for that, he surely would have fallen between the cracks. I didn't get a diagnosis for years because of the fact that I tried to get a diagnosis thru the insurance company and they don't want to go the extra step once they get you medicated.

I agree. I was somewhat saddened by how the international market went along with DSM's decision. To me, there are clear distinctions between Asperger's and other ASCs and the level of support needed (1, 2 or 3) is a horrible way to distinguish things.

The problem with any diagnostic manual is that it takes the humanity out of psychology. A diagnosis is more about checking the right boxes than getting to know your patient. Until the medical community moves past that mindset, no true progress will be made.

We need someone other than the American Psychiatric Association writing a book for diagnosis. Some neurologist should get together and come up with a new manual. The APA seems like a rather odd choice for deciding who is autistic. Actually I don't think I trust them to figure out much of anything.
I personally think it would be good for neurologists and psychologists to work together.

I don't feel the DSM writes off Autistic people at all. They wrote off the label "Asperger's" and I agree with them: autism comes in many different forms, and just having Autism and Asperger's is too simplistic. It's more complicated than that, which is why it's now a Spectrum.

I never thought I'd be defending the DSM considering how badly they screwed up the definition of something else I have (HPPD) but I agree with them on this one. Autism comes in many different flavors, a spectrum is more appropriate.
I also highly doubt it affects disability benefits. I was awarded disability after they changed the definition, and it didn't screw me over.

New Threads

Top Bottom