• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things that people do that really annoy you

Some people think it is "cute" because I try to be clear and concise--always. Why not say, "I'll have two ounces more" rather than just a little? There is no confusion and I get what I want and don't waste anything. My father always liked to be served and waited on. He didn't like buffets--he wanted his plate brought to him with what he had ordered. If we were making sandwiches he always wanted someone else to make his. I asked why and he said it just tastes better if someone else makes his food. I hate it if I ask someone if they want Coke or Pepsi and they reply, Whatever." Maybe I should give these people Moxie--have you ever tasted it????? :puke:

I can't stand it when people babble. My husband does this sometimes and it drives me up the wall! If I'm going through a quiet spell, he thinks he needs to fill the silence by talking about anything and everything and it just makes me withdraw more.

My mom does the same thing sometimes, especially during dinner. If no one is talking, she starts talking about random stuff that I don't care about and don't know if anyone else cares about, and if she can't think of anything to say she'll still say something like, "So... you know... anyway..." Empty talk that makes me groan inside.
One time my brothers and I were having dinner, and my mom, who was going to have dinner later with my dad, told us that we were really quiet and that we should be talking. But why should we talk just for the sake of talking? Are mealtimes more for eating or talking? In our house they seem to be more for talking. :exhausted:

"Let's ask anne when her wedding day is when she is so broke that she is living with her parents! Gee! You think she'll tell us it's within the year?"

NO. Unless I am making enough to COMFORTABLY live on my own, the answer is a very obvious THERE STILL ISN'T A DATE.

- People who get into the check-out line at the grocery store, get to the cash only to realze that they've forgotten to buy some item they cannot live without. They jostle everyone in line behind them, go running all over the store (delaying everyone else), shove their way back...only to place some stupid item that nobody really needs onto the conveyor belt.

- People who get to their turn at the check-out line, begin to quibble over the price of some vegetable or can of crap (causing a delay for a price check), then try to pass expired coupons from some other store & b!T@H & moan when they have to pay...like everyone else.

- People who get to the cash register, have 250$ worth of groceries, then try to pay with small change. This annoying person fumbles out a fiddly change purse, dumps out a veritable heap of dimes & nickels, expects the caissiere to count it all out, then adds a fist-ful of coupons, questions the price of every item, refuses to buy some items s/he took, examines & questions every item on the receipt & grumbles when they (FINALLY) take their effin' $#!T & LEAVE!!!

Anyone who isn't totally prepared to pay as quickly as possible and then exit the line before farting around putting their change away. Before I enter a lane I move aside and take out my store "bonus" car, any coupons I might have, and my credit card. I hold them firmly in left hand, unload my cart as quickly as possible using my left hand to assist as much as possible, try to turn the bar code toward the cashier without slowing down his or her progress, don't talk to anyone and pay attention to the cashier who may have a question like can two particular items go in the same bag. If I pay with cash I use a bill large enough to cover the entire bill. When the cashier is done I hand over the money (Which I pay attention to as the cashier counts it out) or card and take back whatever I am handed and MOVE IMMEDIATELY OUT OF THE LINE. Only then do I put away any cards, bills, coins and receipts. I have held up the line as little as possible and I hope the people behind me appreciate that. I realize some very old folks may not be able to go through all these steps quickly and for that reason I fervently request that they do not use trembling fingers to pick out the exact change. When I accumulate a bunch of change I gather an assortment of coins and use that to buy something like an ice cream cone to spend down the coins. I am not exaggerating anything I have written--I really do hate to be held up in a line and try to move through it in the most expeditious way. It breaks my heart when someone with a neurological condition has terrible shakes and can't possible do anything quickly. I once watched a woman take a full minute to pick up a stylus and sign her name. I can't get angry at her for that and pray I never deteriorate to that point. However, I think that people who are physically fit owe it to each other not to waste someone else's time. We don't have the luxury of knowing that they don't a valid need to hurry.

When you're in a drive thru lane for food and the cashier wants the money as soon as you move your car. I just got here! I haven't had a chance to pull out the appropriate amount needed to pay yet. ESPECIALLY when driving alone, this is one giant pain in the butt. Not everyone uses credit/debit cards! *raises hand*

People who stand talking to each other in a doorway! I never know if it's allowed to simply tell them to move so I can go through. (nor would I have the social courage to do so.)

Watch this video. How Germans on the Autobahn React to Ambulance Siren - YouTube
Notice how all the cars pull over when they hear the ambulance siren? Notice how there is a pathway cleared down the middle of the road with cars pulled over to each side, as the ambulance goes through? Notice how most cars had already pulled over long before the ambulance was in their view?
This video was not taken where I live.
People here seem to have no idea that they are supposed to give right of way to an ambulance. They just keep driving like usual.

Watch this video. How Germans on the Autobahn React to Ambulance Siren - YouTube
Notice how all the cars pull over when they hear the ambulance siren? Notice how there is a pathway cleared down the middle of the road with cars pulled over to each side, as the ambulance goes through? Notice how most cars had already pulled over long before the ambulance was in their view?
People here seem to have no idea that they are supposed to give right of way to an ambulance. They just keep driving like usual.

I'm not sure if there's an enforcement or actual law for it where you live, but if I'm correct, you risk a hefty fine for obstructing emergency services in Germany and other countries in that area. And with current dashboard cameras in emergency vehicles I wouldn't be surprised if they will review the footage and trace you down by your license plate if you keep driving on as if nothing happened.

Perhaps, and maybe my idea of driving lessons and exams in the US is way, way off... but over here you actually need to attend a driving school and it can take up quite some time before an instructor will green light your ability to drive and work within the frame of traffic rules. I've always had this idea that in the US anyone can teach you how to drive, just pass the actual practical exam. So over here there is a lot of emphasis on knowing rules rather than just being able to control a vehicle.

Well, of course, it could also be common sense that emergency vehicles need to get to their destination, and rather than arguing who goes where, there's been an universal notion of "make room in the middle so everyone goes left OR right, wherever he can find a spot". Perhaps the common sense department sometimes fails at certain places as well, lol

I really need to visit Germany, they seem incredibly efficient! I also need to thank them for building such great cars..

My boyfriend is still permanently injured (nothing major, just needs me to pick him up and crack his back into place at least 1x per day, can't sit on certain seats anymore) from a car accident where I slowed down for an ambulance and the woman behind me decided to keep driving. I'm pretty sure everyone learns this in their driving lessons but some people just seem to ignore it.

I can't stand anyone who's rude to me, especially in shops when it's part of their job to be polite and helpful for customers. I'm always happy to take my business elsewhere!

The most annoying thing someone can do is keep telling me the same thing in order to change my opinion over something and just because they seldom do, they call me stubborn. For example, someone might call me to hang out and I turn the offer down and they keep telling me "Why not? Come on, we'll do this and that and go there and then we can have this other thing...". No, just no! They don't seem to understand that I'm turning the offer down because I believe that whatever I'm doing right then seems to be more important to me than anything else they want to do!
Another thing is when I sporadically hang out in large groups, 3 < n < 6, (where n: number of individuals). I usually don't speak at hese occassions but they do, like speaking all the time about stuff none of them really cares about. And the others pretend to be interested in order to... you know, do their "social thing" that "has" to be done. For the record, I just look somewhere else and get lost in my thoughts, I can't stand it at all, seems to me like a complete waste of important time where you can do anything you actually like. Never standed over an hour at such occassions.

I'm not sure if there's an enforcement or actual law for it where you live, but if I'm correct, you risk a hefty fine for obstructing emergency services in Germany and other countries in that area. And with current dashboard cameras in emergency vehicles I wouldn't be surprised if they will review the footage and trace you down by your license plate if you keep driving on as if nothing happened.

Perhaps, and maybe my idea of driving lessons and exams in the US is way, way off... but over here you actually need to attend a driving school and it can take up quite some time before an instructor will green light your ability to drive and work within the frame of traffic rules. I've always had this idea that in the US anyone can teach you how to drive, just pass the actual practical exam. So over here there is a lot of emphasis on knowing rules rather than just being able to control a vehicle.

Well, of course, it could also be common sense that emergency vehicles need to get to their destination, and rather than arguing who goes where, there's been an universal notion of "make room in the middle so everyone goes left OR right, wherever he can find a spot". Perhaps the common sense department sometimes fails at certain places as well, lol

I think that in North America it's an offense, but not as big a deal as elsewhere. The only jurisdiction I could find a number for is Connecticut, which has a cap of $500, whereas in the UK it's up to 5000 pounds, which is a little more than $8000 US.

Of course, in the USA (speaking of stupid things), the police will lead officials such as the (remember, American) lieutenant-governor's secretary's assistant to important functions such as breaking ground on the new K-Mart Supercenter.

when people assume I'm a pyscho-pathic bomber..ok yes my skin is pale, I barely show any emotion, and like gore about has much has the next warmed-blooded person.
Next person that even hints at calling me "beast" is getting back-handed with some wet spaghetti noodles(irl not online)

Unsolicited advice based on little to no information from someone who thinks they have a keen understanding of what's going on. "I've heard a sentence or two about your problem, therefore I have the solution in a long, rambling talk on you and your life that includes what you're thinking and feeling. I have enough information to know this."

I never have the energy to talk to them and tell them everything they've assumed about the situation doesn't actually apply.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting article about the differente ways in which autistic and NT children copy adults: Children with autism leave 'silly' out

Here's something silly...I went to that link you posted and I was immediately turned off by the triple repetition of the following paragraph:

"When a child with autism copies the actions of an adult, he or she is likely to omit anything "silly" about what they've just seen. In contrast, typically developing children will go out of their way to repeat each and every element of the behavior even as they may realize that parts of it don't make any sense."

I can't stand that type of thing! LOL!

- People who assume they know you & say things like, "/you seem like the type who_____" (insert presumptuous, inaccurate BS here)

- People who know nothing about me so they assume some stereotype; "I bet you LOVE hitting the mall & totally blowing up your husbands' credit cards!" (vacuous, giggling client)

1. I hate all malls as a matter of course.
2. I have my own credit cards, I NEVER carry a balance & I would never even think of wrecking my husband's credit. What kind of imbecile does this person think I am?
3. People who give other people snarky & underhanded compliments that are really thinly veiled insults like,

I hate people who are friendly and smile, then the moment that person has walked off, they stab him in the back. And they reckon, ive got problems. Sheeeeeesh

New Threads

Top Bottom