• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What software do you use on your computer?

Google

V.I.P Member
This is what I use a lot on Windows:

7-Zip - Open source and free (so it doesn't have that annoying pop up when you open it like WinRAR does) file archiver.

Adobe Photoshop CS5: I have rudimentary Photoshop skills. The new content aware feature is really cool.

CCleaner - Frees up HDD space by deleting temporary files that aren't important. It can also delete other kinds of files, uninstall programs and select what programs start up. But you don't really need CCleaner to do those things.

Foobar2000 - I used to have a slow computer with hardly any storage so I rarely listened to music on it. I got a good laptop a couple of years ago so I could listen to music all the time. ??? asked me what audio player I used and I said Windows Media Player and he laughed at me and made fun of me but I didn't know anything about audio players since I hardly used them. I'm glad he told me to download Foobar. With thousands of songs loaded on it it would only use about 9 MB of RAM, very stable, has a nice, simple UI (some people say it's ugly but there's tons of skins for it), has a lot of plugins (I've discovered hundreds of new bands with the Last.fm radio plugin), etc.

Foxit Reader - It's a PDF reader like Adobe Reader but it's only 6.6 MB while Adobe Reader is over 40 MB. Adobe Reader also looked very cluttered to me and froze all of the time while Foxit Reader is very lightweight.

Google Chrome/Chromium - I started using Firefox in 2004 but finally switched to a new web browser a couple of months ago. Chrome has all of the extensions I need and is so much faster than Firefox. I usually use Chromium because I like using the latest stuff but if it's too buggy I use Google Chrome.

IrfanView - Photo viewer that I prefer over Windows Photo Viewer. Has more settings and options.

Miranda IM - When I used Pidgin 3 years ago it used 8-12 MB of RAM, now it uses 20-32 MB while I've Miranda use as little as 600 KB. This will sound wrong but I'm anal about RAM. When ??? uploaded his Miranda IM set up to Fileden I downloaded and never used Pidgin again. I had used Miranda before but the crappy default settings annoyed me and I wasn't good at setting it up. I still recommend Pidgin to most people because Miranda will take a while to set up for people new to it while Pidgin "works out of the box."

OpenOffice - It's like Microsoft Office but it's open source and free. I wanted to use AbiWord instead since it's more lightweight but it crashes all the time.

Paint.NET - It's like Microsoft Paint but way better. It has a lot more options.

Last edited:
Here's what I use:

Apps

Adware/Spyware Remover: Spybot
Archiver: 7-Zip
Audio Player: Foobar2000
Audio Editor: Audacity
CD/DVD Burner: IMGBurn
CD Ripper: Exact Audio Copy
Codec Information Tool: GSpot
Data Recovery: Recuva
Defragmentor: MyDefrag
Download Manager: FreeRapid
DVD Ripper: DVD Decrypter
Earth Viewer: Google Earth
File Manager: TeraCopy
Image Viewer: Irfanview
Instant Messenger: Miranda IM
Internet Browser: Firefox, Google Chrome
IRC Client: X-Chat
Maintenance Tool: CCleaner
Movie Player: Media Player Classic - Home Cinema
Office Suite: OpenOffice
P2P: Emule
PDF Viewer: Foxit Reader
Photo Editor: Gimp, Paint.NET
System Information Tool: Speccy
Text Viewer/Editor: Notepad++
Torrent Client: ?Torrent
Vector Graphics Editor: Inkscape
Virtual Drive: Virtual CloneDrive

Codecs/video renderers/etc.

Lossless Audio Encoder: FLAC, TTA (TTA is finally open-source and is rapidly improving)
Lossy Audio Encoder: Helix MP3 Encoder (Helix is better than Lame as it's 10x quicker at encoding and, 75% of the time, gives better results which can be seen by doing tests. Lacks support, but works great through dBPoweramp)
Misc. Video Codecs: QT Lite, Real Alternative Lite (all you need in order to watch Quicktime and RealPlayer videos through good video players rather than the inferior official players)
Video Renderer: Haali Renderer, MadVR (MadVR is a new video renderer that gives slightly superior results to Haali renderer. Media Player Classic - Home Cinema was one of the first players to support it. It still doesn't have much support)
Video Codec: FFDshow Tryouts (a superior fork to the original FFDShow)

I use:

Mozilla Firefox for browsing and blocking ads with ad block.
Photoshop for picture editing.
iTunes for syncing my music on my iPod.
Windows Movie Makes to make my videos (but decided to not make anymore YouTube videos for the meantime).
ccleaner for cleaning up the junk on my laptop.

Mac OS X, and most of the programs that came with it.
Audio Hijack Pro for fetching samples on the net.
Capo
Synthesia
Garageband
Logic
Final Cut Studio
Illustrator and Photoshop
Usually Safari for browsing but now using Camino.
Celtx for keeping track of script ideas.
Transmission
Maple
Coda for html and css
Adium for im
Stanza
Snak for irc
EyeTV
Pages
Numbers
oh, and iTunes
Evernote
Hazel
Geektool
TunesArt for fetching lyrics and coverart
Cyberduck
and VLC

By the way: All the apps I mentioned in this thread is freeware. I use some pay software as well - I just didn't list it.

Firefox - internet
Microsoft Office - all of those office-related things.
EndNote - store information about the scholarly references I've read
Microsoft Paint - for very basic image editing
GIMP - free, less powerful program similar to Photoshop
Inkscape - free, less powerful program similar to Illustrator
R - program for running statistics
Google Earth - whatever I want to use it for

I'm not sure about the music right now. I find the layout of both iTunes and Windows Media player to be annoying to navigate. My old computer came with something I think was called Creative Media Source Organizer or something like that, and I liked how that was organized.

Also, all music organizers I've come across don't seem to manage the composer/performer name issues associated with classical music well.

Google and ???, I'm now looking into Foobar now because you mentioned it.

Interesting thread. All of my computers run Linux.

I use:
Firefox
Chrome
Amsn
Pigeon
Transmision (torrent)
check-gmail
Openoffice
gFTP
nmap
opensshd
gnupg
truecrypt
gedit
xterm
irssi
silcd and silc-client
gimp
Abiword
Adobe Reader
Amarok (music)
VLC
k3b (burning software)
wine
Iptraf

and probably a hundred or so CLI based tools that are common on a *Nix system.

Let's see here. Stuff I use:

urxvt
tmux
bash
xmonad
htop
mpd
ncmpcpp
luakit
dwb
ipython
ROOT
mplayer
wget
rtorrent
inkscape
gimp
vim
pdflatex
tor-browser
stellarium
virtualbox (guests: haiku and whonix)

I'm running Arch Linux.

google chrome & fire fox web browsers mostly fire fox
Foxit PDF file reader
Paintnet general drawing work.
Advance systems care computer maintanance/cleaning.
Advanced systems care Driver booster monitor drivers for updates
Avast anti virus
Secunia PSI free application updater/monitor.
Delftship for surface modeling a free version availible
Paragon back up recovery
Faststone image veiwer

I am working on a boat design so I use a combination of delftship and paintnet.

warwick

Last edited:
Google Chrome
iMovie 9 (the update SUCKS)
Photoshop to resize photos for scrapbooking
Office 2011
Mavis Beacon (gotta get my typing certificate, man!)
Moonlight MahJong (it really helps with my reflexes because I have it programmed so I'm playing against a computer and sometimes it's really hard.
I have a couple other "apps" I use too but meh, can't remember them right now.

I'll eventually use more but for now these get me by. lol
I love my 27" iMac ^_^

Let's see...
Firefox
Paint
WordPad
NotePad
Windows Media Player
Windows Movie Maker
Sony Vegas Pro 8
YouTube Downloader
Fraps
Audacity
GIMP 2
Steam
WeatherBug
uTorrent
Comical

I will not mention commonly used software like 7-zip, gimp, or others already mentioned. I will try to make useful recommendations, or just show how helpless I are.

Please, if you think that the software I use has a better replacement, tell me.

WinDirStat is very helpful to find what files are occupying my space. Very useful to clean space on my SSD, which is small, expensive and precious.
This software display files and folders as rectangles, proportional to the space they occupy. So it makes easy to visually spot what files and folders are using the space.
windirstat.jpg

Splash Pro Ex for video playing. It haves Motion²,which duplicates the fps of the videos by interpolating frames. Does a good job, (but sometimes introduce artifacts). I'm sensible to low fps jerky videos, so it makes movies easier and more pleasurable to watch. Commonly, it plays videos at 60 fps.
His only problem is that it is a paid application.

When Splash Pro can't play some video format, I use Gom player. Gom player with the codec pack plays almost everything without issues, including incomplete files still being downloaded, or with missing bits. It is helpful when I are downloading a large video, and I want to start watching it before ending the download.
I find Gom payer more useful than VLC, because VLC crashes frequently.

Bitdefender antivirus free edition. Las time I checked, it was the best free antivirus. Before, it was Avira antivirus.
About antivirus, I care of detection. I think that detection is more important than removal. And I care about how burdensome they are.
Bitdefender has the best detection ratio, and is really fast and lightweight.
His only annoyance is that it requires a facebook account. I made a "fake account" only for it.

Getright for file download. It resumes downloads, and is super fast because it can download multiple parts in parallel.
Frequently it download files which cannot be downloaded otherwise due to web page or browser bugs.
Frequently I cannot watch some Youtube video, because Youtube is so buggy, but once I get the file link (with this firefox addon), then I use getright to download the video at max quality, and full speed. Then I watch the video with Gom Player or Splash pro, with much better quality, and without Youtube annoyances.

Some files cannot be downloaded with getright. Generally the ones which ask to answer captchas. For those I use jdownloader. It automatically does some captchas, does resumable downloads, and sometimes downloads multiple file pieces in parallel (it does parallel with Mega).
His only annoyance is that it requires Java.

Tixati for .torrents. Is the best torrent manager I know.

www.maps.google.com running in Chrome instead of Google Earth. It is much faster than Google Earth, although it does not supports some features (like distance measuring, and lot of information layers)

Adobe Premiere Pro CC 7.1 for video edition. I encode with GPU accelerated hardware.
It is slow, burdensome and gives bad quality. I wish I had something better. Is not free.

vmware player to run old software, or software which I do not trust (like if I suspect it may contain malware).

Visual Studio for programming. Nothing beats his features.

Last edited:

Programming: Eclipse IDE Kepler

Application Server: Tomcat

Database: MySQL

Text Editor: Vim, IDLE, TextWrangler

Browser: Firefox

Admin 'stuff' and linux: terminal

IRC: X-Chat

VOIP: Ventrilo

Others: GIT, Steam

My own creations: Gaming emulators, Windows VM, Database admin tool

Some of these aren't exactly applications but I use them a lot nonetheless.

Windows 8.1
Microsoft Office 2013
Visual Studio 2013
Hyper V
Sketchup 2013
Syncing services (Drop box, Google Drive, Skydrive)
Android Dev tools (GUI tools, flashing, etc)
Steam (w/ games)

Thats about it. I'd like a more powerful desktop for some of the stuff I wanna do, but that stuff will probably come later.

I use Debian Wheezy as my operating system, and I've installed the XMonad window manager on it, since I think it is pretty productive once it is all set up. Software I use on a regular basis includes:
vim
tmux
mpd
ncmpcpp
urxvt
ssh
ipython
iceweasel
icedove
wget
mplayer
rsync
zsh
zathura
rtorrent
htop
xrandr

Good software that I don't use as often:
gimp
inkscape
ds9
stellarium
mutt
newsbeuter

I'm a Linux geek, too, so i also use the stuff that's in a typical install in the command line. I also run a Mac for work, with its usual stuff.

Aside from that, i use:

Sublime Text 3 for programming
MS Office and LibreOffice for office stuff
Gimp and Photoshop for image editing
Chrome for internet, though the Firefox nightly looks promising
Google music in browser for music
Blender for 3d modeling and animation
Steam and Blizzard for gaming

Well
physical OS:Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
Programs used:
Photoshop cc7
Malware bytes
Visual studio
Eclipse IDE
Utorrent
Steam
Notepad ++
FileZilla
Jungle flasher
Jrunner
Hxd
Herizon
Imgburn
Kodi
Crome- with Adblock
Tor
Ipvanish
Lebre office(going to upgrade to the office suite soon)
GSC studio
Virtualbox- Kali Linux, TAILS, cent OS, Windows 10 home premium 64 bit, backtrack and mint

Software that I want but don't have yet:
VMware
Auto desk fusion 3D
Sony vagus pro

And that gets the job done for most things

New Threads

Top Bottom