• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

what Obseesive behaviour upsets you

rolo

right now i am spending too much time trying to find a chat bar that this site says it has!!!-I have gone into the discussions section-seen a sticky(whatever that is) that says the chat bar is at the bottom of every page-well I can't find it-the point is I keep looking in the same box time and time and time again.... I do not even want to go on said illusive chat bar:mad:- but it said it was there so I am compelled to find it! - i do this for so many things-in the middle of the night i will open my eyes and think i had this useless piece of paper with some info on it and I must find it right now-so up I get and sure enough can't find it so I will then proceed to turn the flat upside down-when i do eventually find it to the welcome sound of the dawn chorus I will then throw a complete wobbly/meltdown/rage as i am so annoyed at having to finds it in the first place. This goes for passport, business papers/photos /random stuff that i might have seen on a web page that for some reason my brain says that if I don't find it, either I will go insane or the world will come to an end. Who else does nutty stuff like this??

Last edited:
Have some soup, Rolo. It prevents inconveniences like the world ending at inopportune times.

The obsession that is bugging me today is that ever since I bought my dream set of coloured pencils, I can't stop looking at, learning about, reading about, handling & comparing artist's quality coloured pencils!

Somehow I don't feel it's barely defineable as "obsessive" but I'm becoming a bit upset over the fact that I can't keep busy with personal projects/interests, not get the motivation to do so.

I somewhat think the obsessive "I don't want to do this"-thought upsets me most... but that's commonly called "motivation" I guess.

@ Rolo: Soup to the rescue! So many coloured pencils...so little time... haha.

@ King_Oni: Are you under a new or different type of stress? that can sap motivation...

@ King_Oni: Are you under a new or different type of stress? that can sap motivation...

Not neccesarily new or different, but my personal situation at the moment is dragging way too long now with social services and all. I went there with a notion of a depression over a year ago, I ended up getting my diagnosis a bit under a year since I walked in at social services... and since they're still on my back (for over a year) it's getting worse and worse by the day.

So no, like I said, not new or different... however, one could also state, that the rules get more challenging every day since it's a downward spiral for sure.

There's a slight end in sight though, so that's why I'm holding out... my girlfriend already told me, she thinks that I'm feeling way more ****** than I actually act. She might be onto something.

But yeah, like I said, it's probably more like the way the entire process is dragging and not going nearly fast enough over a variety of reasons, that's what's stressing me out a lot.

If The Netherlands are anything like Quebec, dealing with any social services/gov't related body can be exceedingly time consuming & tedious. I remember sitting with heaps of forms that I had to back up with yet another heap of supporting documentation. They wanted everything from photocopies of every ID card I had, to copies of my birth certificate & medical notes. Just assembling it all was nerve racking. Then they really drag their feet in getting things done. At one point, I actually sued (and won).

I really hope you find the strength to not spiral downhill. Your overall well-being is much too important to become compromised over governmental red tape. Do whatever soothes you & hang in there.

right now i am spending too much time trying to find a chat bar that this site says it has!!!-I have gone into the discussions section-seen a sticky(whatever that is) that says the chat bar is at the bottom of every page-well I can't find it-the point is I keep looking in the same box time and time and time again.... I do not even want to go on said illusive chat bar:mad:- but it said it was there so I am compelled to find it!

It used to be there, but I think with the new updates it's been removed, not that I ever saw anyone in it ever (I did click on it a few times to find a grand total of 0 in it) so it's the shout box now which isn't too dis-similar to a chat room, just more limited on the amount of characters.

The only time obsessions upset me is when I can't do them, the obsessions themselves don't usually upset me but when something goes wrong with an obsession it totally ruins it for me and I lose the interest and move on. Latest example being baking I was obsessed but then a few cookies went wrong, piping bags split etc I had a meltdown (or 10) and now I have no real interest in baking, I really should cancel my subscription to the magazine, although I still like to read about fancy cakes and things I just cannot be bothered to make them.

King-Oni- are you still in het nederlands? I lived there for 6 years- it sounds as if you are masking-no small wander but hang in there-. It seems as though you are just holding on to a lot of worry and uncertainty-no surprise that you can not motivate or concentrate on one topic/project-you say they (social services are on your back)-that would be a heavy burden-what are they trying to do exactly??[B]So no, like I said, not new or different... however, one could also state, that the rules get more challenging every day since it's a downward spiral for sure.

This is one heck of a statement-maybe you can explore it and expand-would like to help if i can!

Last edited:
so glad you have time limited obsessions-literature out there says Aspies are preoccupied with one major obsession-nowhere have i read or heard that we have many, some last a few days ,some months-for me it could be wood whittling, i will learn about it and then buy tools and then lose interest for no apparent reason-right now I have ten 60x60cm canvasses to paint abstract and all the scraping tools pallette knifes and brushes but have suddenly lost interest for now-there is always something but never a permanent special interest-it seems as though many others do this-I do not have long term interests because i can never remember the information i have researched.

Last edited:
That's exactly how I am rolo, I jump from one thing to another. My longest obsessions have been fishkeeping(4 years), hair extensions(2 years) and cosmetics(2/3 years on and off). Even within those I jumped from one to another, changing my hair alot, different types of dreads, colours, being obsessed with different cosmetics brands. The fish I just kept buying more and more tanks, more and more fish, it got a little crazy at one point.

Did you keep tropical fish? I've always wanted to give that a go but it looks so complicated & i don't know the 1st thing about it.

right now i am spending too much time trying to find a chat bar that this site says it has!!!-I have gone into the discussions section-seen a sticky(whatever that is) that says the chat bar is at the bottom of every page-well I can't find it-the point is I keep looking in the same box time and time and time again.... I do not even want to go on said illusive chat bar:mad:- but it said it was there so I am compelled to find it!

The chat bar has been removed since it was largely inactive (the shoutbox is way more popular with members). Not long ago the site was infected with a virus which meant that we had re-install the forums and some features where lost during this process. Since the chat bar was not used much anyway, I decided not to add it back on the site. See this announcement thread for more details.

Obsessions upset me when I am unable to pursue them at any given moment. Like when I don't have enough money for my dolls or a teddy or if I can't be on my computer for certain amount of time. I get very passionate about things. I have a thing about threes and being in the middle stall in the bathroom. I get very upset if I can't do that. Like if I have to wait or I am forced by happen stance to go in another stall. No one seems to understand that there are rules that must be followed.

BJDs is a very expensive hobby. How do you manage to afford it? Are there ways to buy at discounted prices or less expensive parts & pieces? Whenever I find myself developing a rule that must be followed, I try to dismantle it before it sets in. I had one about taking exactly the same route through a wooded path near my home & along an incredible bike path when walking my pug. One fine day, construction guys were there repaving part of the path making it impossible to pass. I felt myself melting down & becoming anxious. Upon returning home & calming down, I realized that this insistence on sameness was not viable. Now, I force myself t take a deep breath & vary my route on occasion. This is way out of my comfort zone but the anxiety was less than that of suddenly encountering an obstacle & not knowing how to respond.

Some days I get totally obsessed with finding certain books that I will literally spend hours on the computer hunting for them. I will try multiple combinations of words and phrases on Google and then sift through hundreds of sites. I really bugs me that I can't find what I am looking for and it also bugs me that I can't seem to resist spending hours looking for them.

Did you keep tropical fish? I've always wanted to give that a go but it looks so complicated & i don't know the 1st thing about it.

I've kept tropical & coldwater fish as well as fully aquatic frogs, I was tempted by marines but the moral implications were just too much for me (most marine fish are wild caught and I just find it horrific taking a fish out of an ocean/sea and plonking it in a tank). It's not complicated at all as long as you take care of the water that's the important part, research anything and everything before buying.

For example you see that cute little oscar fish in the store, he's so small and sweet and a little 2ft tank setup isn't too much to buy....then you research and find out that little cutie will grow to be at least a foot long and will require a 6ft x 2ft tank. Or how about those nice discus they are really pretty and the neon tetras will look just beautiful....until your discus grow and start eating your neons.

Just have a look at the types of fish you'd like to keep and then research them, also look into (fishless)tank cycling, maintenance etc to see whether your willing to maintain it correctly. Have a look here Latest | Practical Fishkeeping for lots of good info, articles and of course the forum with lots of members who will have plenty of great advice.

Please excuse the typo on the heading of this thread-it's really beginning to bug me now-obsessive obsessive obsessive!!!

New Threads

Top Bottom