• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What kind of metal awakens your inner warrior?

What kind of metal is best?

• Black Metal

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Death Metal

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Doom Metal

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Folk Metal

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Heavy Metal/Trad Metal

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Power Metal

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Speed Metal

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Thrash Metal or Crossover

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Some "clever" response from the periodic table (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!)

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
WTF??? i just found this, i think metal is dying lol

Funny, I played that video and I was thinking how the music part wasn't so bad (cannot understand the lyrics, sorry), but then I realised how much it reminded me of this Anvil song:

Anyone else think so?

I agree, even though I like some Japanese music & JPop. Babymetal is creepy AF though, the whole Idol industry is messed up and BM are just a product of that.

Yep, just picture all the creepy guys in the audience...that's what these idols are for. A product for men. Yuck.

Yep, just picture all the creepy guys in the audience...that's what these idols are for. A product for men. Yuck.

18j50iil8o3fejpg.jpg

And now, some Opeth

Funny, I played that video and I was thinking how the music part wasn't so bad (cannot understand the lyrics, sorry), but then I realised how much it reminded me of this Anvil song:

Anyone else think so?

Definitely! Actually, the intro sounds so similar the Japanese one could be a rip off...

Does anyone else know what I mean about metal though? How it just seems to upset my senses that these lead singers are screaming so much or singing in an opera register when they have a goddamn electric guitar backing it up? It offends my senses to hear a person scream overall.

I have to agree with you here. I like some types of metal (I don't know what they are called... I am completely ignorant about this topic and feel a bit like I'm trespassing on someone else's sacred ground here:D) and not others.

Typically the ones I can't enjoy are "unnatural" sounding somehow. Like death metal... it's just too intense for me as a synaesthete. Too much grey, buzzy, scratchy stuff getting in my face. :) I mean no offence to anyone who wants to rock out to death metal, but to my senses death songs all sound pretty much the same... I'm assuming it's the vocal that causes my biggest sensory response, all the scratchy grey patterning in my mind's eye, like static on a TV (before digital that is). I have much more difficulty with sensory issues since becoming a parent, so adding more noise to my life is the opposite of what I need right now. :rolleyes: :p

Oh no, did I kill the thread with my negative comment? Sorry!

To answer the original question, without strictly naming genres as I'm not well versed enough to name them... I used to listen to a lot of "alternative" metal like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden (early stuff, the first two albums...not that commercial stuff... They were great live), Henry Rollins (he was intense when I saw him live), that sort of thing. These bands really spoke to the despair I felt at that point of my life.

I also went through a youthful "hair/glam metal" metal phase... Mötley Crüe, Def Leppard, Guns'n'Roses, Whitesnake, Van Halen, that sort of thing. :D I can laugh about it now.

And there's the earlier stuff that I like, The Runaways, Steppenwolf, Judas Priest, and such.

Cancer Bats, I really like Hail Destroyer but I can't get into their latest album, it sounds a bit mediocre to me. I'm glad i heard this before their new album or I probably wouldn't be a fan.

Cosmophylla I'm glad you can laugh about it, Andy still loves those bands!!

:D That's cool by me. Love whatever you love, as long as it isn't hurting someone else. :)
[Whenever I hear that stuff it reminds me so much of being a kid... Some stuff like Crüe is just so sexist, I really can't listen to it now because when I liked them as a kid it was part of a mimicry phase, I started listening to them to be liked, etc. That's not to say I didn't actually enjoy the music. I did. But I had to ignore my own early feminist principles in some cases.]

Actually, channelling Axl Rose at karaoke is pretty fun. :D Oh, and Here I Go Again by Whitesnake was a favourite. That was one of my party tricks back in Japan, haha.

Ok, I now have to ask all the metal fans to explain to me what it is that makes a song metal... I'm guessing it's a combination of things but what are the key components of a metal song? I got thinking about this when listening to some stuff I first got into about 25 years ago... What makes those songs not metal? Here is an example, one of my absolute favourite songs of all time. Needs to be listened to loud to truly appreciate it.

I'd really appreciate if we could dissect the song and point out similarities, if any, and differences. What are the differences? Are they:
Lyrics/content?
Harmonies?
Vocals in some other way?
Effects pedals used?
Tempo?
Riffs?
Key? Key combinations?
And so on...

New Threads

Top Bottom