• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is your social kryptonite?

Any sort of public speaking.

If I get up to talk infront of a group of people, I go bright red. When I speak I don't feel that I am able to hold their attention.

I was surprised last year to be asked to be bestman at a wedding. I didn't realise that he felt that close to me, we used to just go out for the odd drink after work and I hardly see him now since I left the company. I accepted as I didn't want to let him down and plagiarised some generic speech I got off the internet.

The scariest thing about it was that I remember standing up there and sitting back down, but I can not remember giving the speech. I'm not sure whether this is down to having AS or that I may have social anxiety.

I'm going to go with what Jusdifferent said and say other women (at least allistic ones). I think it's the societal expectation of women to not be forthcoming with what they want or need, so they have developed this elaborate system of hints, body language and subtext to get it across - which, of course all goes way over my head :sweat:
Also, I tend disregard (or am incapable of fulfilling, more to the point) all those same feminine societal expectations myself which tends to aggravate some.

Pop culture references. I keep up on current events but I don't know half the names of the actors out there, I don't go to the movies and I listen to NPR on the radio.

Talking about autism, especially if vaccines come up. That's when the crazy really comes out. "No, you're wrong about that, it's not a matter of perspective, quit it!"

Group situations are not very comfortable for me . It is kind of sad when I think of how uncomfortable I was at a lot of family gatherings and pretty much shut down and was perceived as antisocial or weird . Like many Aspies , I am pretty clueless when it comes to flirting and trying to develop some kind of attraction with a woman I might be interested in .

I would say that sneaking up on me while I'm doing a task or forcing something on me without any prior notice is my idea of social kryptonite. In general, I hate being put "on the spot" and need at least some measure of time to mentally shift gears, especially if the person wants me to go out somewhere and / or I'm engrossed in something I had hoped to accomplish. If I don't have advance warning then it's like my already-low social aptitude skill is debuffed significantly, if we were to use the allegory of life as an RPG. To be fair there are some times when I'm more receptive and willing to adapt, but these are not constant.

Pretty much anything social really is my kryptonite: I tend towards the extremes in emotional reaction, lately it's been off the scale whereas normally, in the past at least, i can bottle it up inside for awhile before it becomes a problem. I often don't get sarcasm, can't stand rude or assholish joking behavior from the hicks and wanna-be gangsters and so on around here though they consider it "all in good fun", I don't share literally anything in common with them, I have no social radar of when a woman is flirting with me or a fight's about to break out, was raised on pretty much no parenting of any good kind whatsoever including basics of hygiene and social situations so have been utterly failing at the most minute of baby steps and always on my own, those I interact with always tend to take anything I say, literally opening my mouth, as just cause for vicious verbal abuse against me or threatening physical violence towards me and my brother, I seem to get no credit whatsoever even if I give 200% effort towards a goal til I collapse, and am constantly scapegoated or made out to be a pariah as well.

Thus, I've decided I never wanna get to know anyone anymore. For the rest of my life. Finito.

New Threads

Top Bottom