• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is your job? Likes and dislikes?

Apprentice truck mechanic.

Likes: working with machines rather than humans, get to play with cool power tools, good bunch of blokes I work with, I work with premium brand trucks, no day is ever boring, variety of work, very little paper work, I never take work home, each day is a challenge

Dislikes: constantly physically active (I have to eat every 2 hrs to keep up my energy), feeling like a dumb person at least 10 times a day (learning a trade at 40 something is HUMBLING), noise of sledgehammers knocking out bushes, having to be 100% alert all day

I ask for no concessions being female, older and ASD. BUT I admit I am worn out at the end of the week. I am holding out for the day I can get through an engine rebuild: without asking for help, sighing in exasperation and frustration that I have knowledge gaps, feeling I have to be on hyper alert.

I teach art classes for adults and children.

The good? More art experience, and it's great when people are having fun and enjoying themselves.

Dislikes? A lot can go wrong very fast. And a lot of people think they can't draw or paint, and spend the entire lesson complaining or talking down on themselves. That's stressful on my part too, because nothing I say can make them relax into it.

Grocery store bagger.

Likes: Organizing items, getting tips, nice coworkers, sometimes nice customers, ability to browse and look at items while doing shopback, picking up any items I need after work without a trip to any other store, the music (I have a whole playlist on YouTube of songs I've heard in my store and sometimes my whole personal playlist is made up of "work songs" lol), the pay, and being able to check my schedule online.

Dislikes: Mean/angry customers, getting harassed/teased/hit on, not being called for a carryout simply because I'm a girl (even if I'm right there), mean managers, customers and coworkers who "help" me bag but make it worse by mixing item categories or otherwise messing the whole thing up, coworkers who are loud in the break room, customers who stand by and watch me bag, customers with kids (they're either screaming or staring at me, there is no inbetween), customers who want paper in plastic, and customers who want their orders bagged in a super specific way and have to instruct me with every single item.

I work in the apparel department at a local one stop shopping place. My shift can end up occurring a bunch of different ways. I could cashier the whole time, I may be on the floor helping customers and making merchandise look pretty or I could be putting stock on racks.
Pros: I make above min. wage for my state, I get to move around and get various things done when I'm not cashiering so I feel accomplished by the end of the shift, I get to organize stuff, colorize stuff and otherwise make things look beautiful and inviting, I work with some decent people, I could possibly use my degree in a position I'm sort of interested in after I graduate.
Cons: I can't stand rude people, rude coworkers and thieves (which we have no shortage of), we have high turnover rates so we are short staffed most of the time which is stressful , nobody likes Becki, they tend to schedule you on both morning and closing shifts and sometimes back to back (the store opens 7am and closes 11pm), everyone thinks they know what's best, everyone thinks they're correct 100% of the time.

I work as an accounts payable associate/bookkeeper for a real estate and property management company. Some of these pros and cons are specific to just my company but here they are:

pros: I have a routine that I'm content with for the most part, I get to work with numbers and money, the company pays for my health insurance in full without anything coming out of my paycheck, the company owner provides breakfast every day and buys us all lunch on Fridays (and cake on people's birthdays), and I don't have to deal directly with the crazy tenants face to face or on the phone (I feel bad for the receptionists! It can get intense dealing with the tenants that don't pay rent on time and sometimes end up needing to be taken to court)

cons: Some tasks can be pretty repetitive which gets boring sometimes, my department is really small and sometimes I'm forced to make small talk with my boss (who's at least 20 years older than me so we don't have much in common), slightly longer hours than my previous job but I'm getting used to it

New Threads

Top Bottom