• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Is Something You Are Really Good At?

Peace

V.I.P Member
Along with things that we have trouble with, are also things that we are really good at. This is where we can talk ourselves up. It could be a sport, reading, baking or collecting things. So come on, and share.
I am really good at yard work. I love to be outside, weather raking leaves, pulling weeds or building a pond, I am at my Zen. Everyone says my yard is beautiful. I love planting, especially flowers and fruit trees. And so my yard is a garden with big play areas.

Am good at drawing and painting i like detail i like dali lowry picasso and i draw abstract art a lot i try use my work to get throu to people on the spectrum who struggle with communication. whether there verbal or non verbal

Where to start, lol

Mind you, all is taking from within a point of view compared to others. The notion of "being good" at something clearly is non-existent if there's no way to measure proficiency. And no, I will not start an argument about this statement here.

- I think I'm pretty good at expressing my opinion and making a point (either verbally or non-verbally). As well as addressing personal issues. For some reason it seems like this is a given, but I've noticed a lot of people on and off the spectrum seemingly have issues with that. So it's clearly not as easy as it sounds.

- I'm fairly good at writing music (within certain styles) as well as adding a few "out of the box" elements to it to create something a bit more unique (or so I've been told numerous times in the past).

- I consider myself a reasonably decent miniature painter. Nothing spectacular, but above average compared to the norm.

Yes, I'm somewhat modest I guess... I always have this notion of "there's always a bigger fish" floating in my mind.

Making people uncomfortable? If only I could find someone willing to pay for this "service"....

Ever consider management, or perhaps law enforcement? ;)

Hmm, what am I really good at...? I have a really good rapport with plants and animals and am able to care for them well. Also cooking and baking... I went to school for pastry arts and worked in a couple of bakeries years ago. My palate is very sensitive so I can often reverse-engineer recipes after I taste something or even make adjustments as I'm cooking by smell alone. (Not as awesome a superpower as you might think, by the way... sometimes I can smell my neighbor smoking in her back yard when I'm on the other side of my house with all the windows closed.)

So yeah, nature-y, nurture-y stuff like that.

Sounds like an admirable quality to me.
Ever consider management, or perhaps law enforcement? ;)

Hmm, what am I really good at...? I have a really good rapport with plants and animals and am able to care for them well. Also cooking and baking... I went to school for pastry arts and worked in a couple of bakeries years ago. My palate is very sensitive so I can often reverse-engineer recipes after I taste something or even make adjustments as I'm cooking by smell alone. (Not as awesome a superpower as you might think, by the way... sometimes I can smell my neighbor smoking in her back yard when I'm on the other side of my house with all the windows closed.)

So yeah, nature-y, nurture-y stuff like that.

Building a pond? Cool! I'd always thought that would be fun. Can you swim in it or is it for the garden only? What kinds of fruit trees do you have? What do you like to collect?

Along with things that we have trouble with, are also things that we are really good at. This is where we can talk ourselves up. It could be a sport, reading, baking or collecting things. So come on, and share.
I am really good at yard work. I love to be outside, weather raking leaves, pulling weeds or building a pond, I am at my Zen. Everyone says my yard is beautiful. I love planting, especially flowers and fruit trees. And so my yard is a garden with big play areas.

I'm good at petting cats, being with animals, talking to dogs, watching deer, listening to waterfalls, being a counselor to right handed people who envy left handed people, self defense, history, reading, writing, pissing off people, thumbing my nose at the fake social matrix, jobs counselor, experienced backpacker, good camping skills, swimming, football, boxing, old time photography, I'm excellent with my son, very good with women/er my female friend ;D hmmm what else?

I'm good at giving massages, tickling [if called to do that] cuddling, kissing & watching the Sunset. When I can I like to help people; sometimes they just need someone to listen to them. When I was younger I was really good at running away & hiding from the police... :ninja2:

@Peace - Aw, thanks. :wub:

Also...

I'm good at petting cats, being with animals, talking to dogs, watching deer, listening to waterfalls, being a counselor to right handed people who envy left handed people, self defense, history, reading, writing, pissing off people, thumbing my nose at the fake social matrix, jobs counselor, experienced backpacker, good camping skills, swimming, football, boxing, old time photography, I'm excellent with my son, very good with women/er my female friend ;D hmmm what else?

I'm good at giving massages, tickling [if called to do that] cuddling, kissing & watching the Sunset. When I can I like to help people; sometimes they just need someone to listen to them. When I was younger I was really good at running away & hiding from the police... :ninja2:

Such a peaceful, loving way of life peppered with a nice dash of misfit-ish social cynicism to give it some extra flavor... awesome. :biggrin:

Not the swimming kind of pond yet, but that could easily be done.
I have several different kinds of Apple trees, a Cherry tree, a Crabapple tree, different types of Berries and a Garden.
My biggest collecting habit is old air cooled Volkswagens. Busses and Beetles mostly, and the parts to fix them. They are kind of like my rescue pets. I also love and collect antiques, and rocks. Pretty ones.

Years ago, for some reason, I had the delusion I could build one. Luckily I never tried it! ;D But I think it would be cool. In Colorado my ex-wife used to have a few fruit trees when she lived with her ex-boyfriend. Ya know Peace, you are making me hungry as you list all those fruit trees! ;) That's fantastic you have a cherry tree, apples, berries & the others. Yum.

Volkswagens-I hope you can turn this hobby into $ if you wanted to. Perhaps one day we will see you on TV buying and selling volkswagens ;) When I was married I went to a lot of garage sales/flea markets, rummage sales & some estate sales. It was fun, I had a few collections, dabbled in a little selling mostly thru helping a few professional sellers. But I never studied antique books/manufacturers-wish I had. Had a few antiques but had to sell them when I was going thru a divorce.

Do you have any favorite kind of antiques. I used to collect porcelain, glass, Japanese stuff, small old Nature paintings, old jewerly etc. My ex-wife and I had 3 small storage rooms filled to the top with boxes of stuff.

Not the swimming kind of pond yet, but that could easily be done.
I have several different kinds of Apple trees, a Cherry tree, a Crabapple tree, different types of Berries and a Garden.
My biggest collecting habit is old air cooled Volkswagens. Busses and Beetles mostly, and the parts to fix them. They are kind of like my rescue pets. I also love and collect antiques, and rocks. Pretty ones.

Well, my voice.. Singing.. It's the only thing that has kept me sane at times. I used to have an Youtube-account with videos of me singing, but I'd get trolled a lot, couldn't take it.. But that was very rare, people mostly loved what I did and that really helped me to get out there and sing more :) Here's one ->

And another:

*runs away and hides*

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Peace - Holy similarities, Batman! I also collect rocks (holy crap, like... a LOT of them) and have a cherry tree, an apple tree (only one because Galas are partially self-pollinizing, but I also grow quinces and pears), and I too collect many kinds of berries... we must compare fruit-notes sometime! :D I've exchanged seeds with other gardeners via GardenWeb before; if you ever wish to, I'd be happy to do a mail exchange of seeds or cuttings. (Also, I soooo want a pond... is it worth the maintenance, do you think? I'm already used to aquarium maintenance, so I have a realistic idea of what to expect on a very small scale, but that's it.)

@ Hadassah - You have an angelic voice. :angel: If I tried to sing like that, I'd probably find that I sound like the noise a cat makes when its tail gets accidentally stepped on. :rolleyes2: In all seriousness though, you're very talented (as your number of youtube views attests) and admirably brave to share it!

For me I draw and a number of people have said that the greatest thing about my drawings is that I have good line work, though there are some areas of it that could use some work.

And Hadassah, I have to agree with everyone else, you have an amazing voice. So nice!

New Threads

Top Bottom