• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

MROSS

Hello,

I'm inquiring about self-advocacy as it concerns adults with Aspergers. From my own experience, I've been able to self-advocate on many of the small concerns that appear from "time to time."

Yet, my concern, (as is similar to neurotypicals (NTs)) are the larger (usually rare) concerns that necessitates the involvement of a trusted professional advisor. Hence, the limits of self-advocating.

Do agencies like ASAN (Autistic Self Advocacy Network) step in to provide/recommend professional advisors in those situations when self-advocacy is not possible?

Are many professional advisors affordable (also offering services priced on a sliding-scale)?

ADDENDUM: If located in California esp. in or near the SF-Bay CA Region:

What roles would CA-State Regional Centers play in sending clientele to trusted advisors regarding those situations where self-advocacy is not practical? CA Regional Centers must become experienced with clientele who only need occasional supports for independent-living agendas; such as clientele with (HFA) High-Functioning Autism.

I'm in proximity to the SF Bay Area; what are specific examples of advisor services in the SF Bay Area experienced with Aspergers?

Thank-you

Just a few thoughts:

Why not give ASAN a call? They might know advocacy agencies local to you, which just may be affordable.

Understanding that ASD needs to be treated and viewed in a lifespan model, lots of agencies know that there are independent ASD adults, who may only need occasional back-up. If you have one in your area, try The ARC.

Lots of Aspies only need a little understanding. Some need more significant ongoing supports in place.
If your concern involves employment accommodations, fair treatment by a landlord or roommate regarding your ASD, it wouldn't hurt to get an agency like The ARC on your side going forward, to help be a liaison in future between you and a supervisor in getting accommodations, allowing use of whatever adaptive equipment, or even just things like ensuring your space is sensory friendly and allows some measure of solitude, if needed.
You can give agencies a try, even though many are parent-driven and for school kids, ones like The ARC help adults, too.

Best of luck!

Thank-you for your response.

Drawing parallels from senior citizen services can also yield service options appropriate for ASD adults. Many senior citizens 65 years of age and older can largely self-advocate on their own; yet only periodically need the help of trusted advisors.

Are there specific examples of services for the disabled consulting with senior citizen services? If not, get involved with local senior services, and at the same time, help our elder relatives!

Best.

New Threads

Top Bottom