• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The only "help" I got from society as a kid was that they made me repeat a school year at 5 because of the social issues. Amazing.

In my case shore they did try to " help " but sadly back then they dident know anything about any NP diagnosis. Same here had to do grade 5 all over again as well (was actually succéfull in that one GOOD teacher and extra support) then 6 -9 DOWN hill again .

And prior to second round of grade 5 NOT good. Had problems from kindergarten as well as 1 class 2 term ) i was started in Scholl to early against my parents wishes. As i was NOT ready = result entire school a complete disaster :rolleyes:

Last edited:
In my case shore they did try to " help " but sadly back then they dident know anything about any NP diagnosis. same here had to do grade 5 all over again as well (was actually succéfull in that one GOOD teacher and extra support) then 6 -9 DOWN hill again .

And prior to second round of grade 5 NOT good. Had problems from kindergarten as well as 1 class 2 term ) i was started in Scholl to early against my parents wishes. As i was NOT ready = result entire school a complete disaster :rolleyes:

Same for me, school was a disaster. When undiagnosed, I assure the ones who've been lucky to be seen that it's very, very, very difficult with no support. We just have different experiences. For some society has been supportive and I clearly encourage that, but others had to "walk or die" on their own. It has to be said too.

I consider autism to be a gift in a way. It seems that since I spend less time using the social part of my mind, I develop skills in other areas such as creativity and logic. I also have a very good memory and can remember the exact words of conversations I had 20 years ago. I believe that the social part of my brain is instead used for helping me remember things, which is why I have such a good memory. Autism is just part of who I am and I have accepted this even before I knew I had the disability. Many other people do not even realize I have it because I have such a mild case but it is still there and can be a problem from time to time. I try to learn from these problems and find how I can better deal with them.

Society really helped me during a very difficult time in my life when somebody followed me or made their presence known but yet unknown. For a grand total of 4 years. This was hard. I was on antidepressants for almost a year. Then finally - they were caught. This has helped me understand that we have laws and men and woman in blue to at least try to help us. If l wasn't autistic, this would have not happened to me. Maybe the chain of events would have never happened. So to me- it feels like a curse. So everyday, l step outside of myself to blend , to slid by, almost like a unknown shadow that tiptoes around without disturbing the bigger shadows around me. At the end of my day, back at home - do l finally feel safe. To this very day, l don't know their name or what they look like. I don't know where they lived. I believe it to be a man. It's a story l can't believe happen to me.

Last edited:
I agree with those who have said that attitudes differ for each individual. I feel I was blessed with a great memory, tremendous focus, and a logical mind. I have difficulty reading people and understanding feelings, but I have learned coping and social skills to get by and fit in. Overall, I don't feel disabled at all.

My brother who I am just getting to know has significantly more anxiety than me and has poor self control. His weight has ballooned to over 500 pounds, and he has asked me how I lost 80 pounds and maintained my weight. I have tried to help him to set and commit to goals, but that does not seem to be part of his personality. He also has social anxiety and has not learned coping skills. In some ways we are alike (similar interests), but in other ways we are quite different. He has significantly more comorbitity issues than I have.

While I don’t consider Autism to be a gift or a curse it definitely has some impacts on my life. But the truth is that I could handle just being on the spectrum, it’s my comorbids that I are really consider to be a curse and the one that falls into the curse category is Complex PTSD which gives me ongoing struggles with not only painful memories and triggers but also the loss of trust in people and also the emotional problems that come with Complex trauma.

I am also very hyper vigilant and due to this I cannot live in the moment and be happy and I feel like Complex PTSD has robbed me of more things than Autism ever will.

Last edited:
While I don’t consider Autism to be a gift or a curse it definitely has some impacts on my life. But the truth is that I could handle just being on the spectrum, it’s my comorbids that I are really consider to be a curse and the one that falls into the curse category is Complex PTSD which gives me ongoing struggles with not only painful memories and triggers but also the loss of trust in people and also the emotional problems that come with Complex trauma.

I am also very hyper vigilant and due to this I cannot live in the moment and be happy and I feel like Complex PTSD has robbed me of more things than Autism ever will.

I like to completely deny all of that in me. Thanks for thinking this thru and articulating with clarity.

I had complex PTSD and I also think it caused me more problems than being autistic. I thought there was nothing I could do about it but I found self-help books last year that really helped me to the point where it's not much of a problem anymore. I added a list of books that helped to my blog if you're interested. I also have a post about alexithymia that may be helpful. I didn't create a post on PTSD because it can be dangerous to treat without a qualified expert (either a therapist or self-help book written by an expert) because treating it can bring back emotions and make you feel temporarily worse.

Link to blog on this site - How I overcame problems associated with autism

I had complex PTSD and I also think it caused me more problems than being autistic. I thought there was nothing I could do about it but I found self-help books last year that really helped me to the point where it's not much of a problem anymore.

My granpa RIP had SEVERE PTSD (from WW2 NOT a Soldier but a traveling shomaker with german troops. And NO he wasent a nazi we came from Sudet germany and i have no idea if he was forcfully drafted or not i belive so tho ) ANYWAY he was so bad he couldent sleep as soon as he closed his eyes he was back in the war. so up 24 /7 in his shomaker studio :(, He was SEVERLY broken mentally and also mentaly ill :( NOT evil but mentaly not good.

As i said before im happy for you that you found some aid to ease this PTSD and Anxiety and depression curse.

Last edited:
That is truly awful I’m sorry he had to go though that

My granpa RIP had SEVERE PTSD (from WW2 NOT a Soldier but a traveling shomaker with german troops. And NO he wasent a nazi we came from Sudet germany and i have no idea if he was forcfully drafted or not i belive so tho ) ANYWAY he was so bad he couldent sleep as soon as he closed his eyes he was back in the war. so up 24 /7 in his shomaker studio :(, He was SEVERLY broken mentally and also mentaly ill :( NOT evil but mentaly not good.

As i said before im happy for you that you found some aid to ease this PTSD and Anxiety and depression curse.

New Threads

Top Bottom