• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What do you think is the most intimidating dog?

Most Intimidating Dog

• Akita

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bullmastiff

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Doberman

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • German Shepherd

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Pit Bull

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Presa Canario

• Rottweiler

• Other

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters
Animals don't intimidate me.
I've been face to face with bears, big cats ect...
They act with intelligence and purpose.

If they get aggressive I fight back.
What other option is there?

I have been bitten.

Did have a big cat circle me one night, very close.

I was a bit drunk and walking home. It ran off a hill and went all the way around me, low growl. Hairs up. Little spooky. I just talked to it and got ready for some tussle. It left and I went home. Still walked at night for years there.

Animals are great. They deserve respect and kindness.

Intimidating is a different dynamic compared to an actual dog bite claim. When I worked in insurance some years ago the same breed would pop up regarding most liability claims. As an underwriter it was always my job to non-renew a policy in the event of a dog bite or other injury loss. Unless of course the owner gave up their pet. It was always considered an exposure which couldn't be controlled short of elimination.

The only times our statistics pointed towards one breed in particular, it was consistently the Labrador Retriever. Though even if our preliminary inspection reports indicated a Lab was in the household, that in itself was never sufficient to deny coverage for a new policy. If "Fido" behaves himself, no harm no foul.

Pit Bulls scare the heck out of me. I had some "questionable neighbors" move in next door a few years ago that had three chained up in their yard. They didn't use them for fighting, but rather as guard dogs; it was obvious that they were strategically placed. It was one of those households that had cars coming at all hours of the day and night. The largest would break its chain on a regular basis, so I never went outdoors unless I had my .44 strapped on. I was quite thankful when they were finally evicted.
I can understand unfortunately pit bulls can be intimidating but I knew a pit bull named coop who belonged to my Husband friends and he was the sweetest dog ever and he seemed to like me and would always sit next to me for a pat.once I was in the pool and I'm not a good swimmer so I stayed mostly in the shallow side coop kept following around the pool and guarded me but sadly he passed away recently I went to see him the night before he was to be put to sleep due to stomach tumours I when I saw him he put his two paws on my hands and left them there while I visited him,he was a great dog and proof that not all pit bulls are aggressive or dangerous.

I used to be a dog groomer.

Most dangerous dogs I have come across(bit by multiples of each of these breeds):
Cocker spaniels (almost all of them bite)
Siberian huskies
Border collies

Best breeds (never had one so much as growl at me)
Rottweilers
Shelties
Pitbulls

I think most of it has to do with the owner. All the dogs I've ever been bit by were not properly socialized.

Border Collies.
I have been around dogs my entire life, my mum is a dog breeder and trainer. My mum and I have been attacked by more Border Collies than any other dog. My mum says the breed has a tendency toward being quite unstable and unpredictable.
We have owned all the so-called "dangerous" and blacklisted breeds throughout my life- Pit Bull, Dobermann, Rottweiler, Belgian Malinois, Dutch Shepherd, and my mum raises German Shepherd Dogs. Not once have I ever been bitten by anything other than a Border Collie, a Cocker Spaniel, or a Chihuahua.

I am not afraid of the dog. I am mostly in despair and frustrated with the owners and the training or treatment of said dog.

Purely on looks alone and disregarding temperament,
The DeerHound

Those mammal piranhas called Chihuahuas... Most dogs seem to like me real well, not so much with little needle teeth monsters. I'm sure there are good ones! Maybe they were just acting like their owners... : )

My dog Mia looks ferocious (She is Rhodesian Ridge Back) but she doesn't have a mean bone in her body that I know of and I have had her since she was 6 weeks old. She is now 6 years old.

I can understand unfortunately pit bulls can be intimidating but I knew a pit bull named coop who belonged to my Husband friends and he was the sweetest dog ever and he seemed to like me and would always sit next to me for a pat.once I was in the pool and I'm not a good swimmer so I stayed mostly in the shallow side coop kept following around the pool and guarded me but sadly he passed away recently I went to see him the night before he was to be put to sleep due to stomach tumours I when I saw him he put his two paws on my hands and left them there while I visited him,he was a great dog and proof that not all pit bulls are aggressive or dangerous.

A guy I work with has a Pit... He is super gentle, a very sweet dog. I trust him. He has never once made me feel unsafe, or even worried. He's even got a better personality than I do. : )

When I was younger my Grandparents had a Dalmatian that "turned" or lost his mind... Something?
He got to where he would block the door not to let us in the house. He would be all happy, and then the next thing he would be standing there with a low growl and his hair all bristled. He vanished... I think my Gramps decided that wasn't going to continue. I become very afraid of that dog and I think he sensed it, and he would just stand there and growl at me... He never bit me thank goodness. He would snap at me, but that was all.

When I was younger my Grandparents had a Dalmatian that "turned" or lost his mind... Something?
He got to where he would block the door not to let us in the house. He would be all happy, and then the next thing he would be standing there with a low growl and his hair all bristled. He vanished... I think my Gramps decided that wasn't going to continue. I become very afraid of that dog and I think he sensed it, and he would just stand there and growl at me... He never bit me thank goodness. He would snap at me, but that was all.
It Sounds like cabin fever,my dog was the same after I'd been confined to the house.

New Threads

Top Bottom