• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your obsessions?

Yes, I've heard it said that he has it, but I don't know if he has an official diagnosis. Gary Numan has it, and is very open about it.

Again, with Gary Numan, if you listen to Cars it seems to be about finding comfort and safety when you are in complete isolation. It might sound odd but I would love Morrissey to have Aspergers. I could relate to his early stuff so much.

I also have the 80's music obsession and laughed when I saw that you listen to stuff you didn't like in the 80's. I do the same and probably for the same reasons.

I love 70's and 80's music. I think that those decades were the greatest decades for music.

My favourite song ever was produced in the 80's. :D

Again, with Gary Numan, if you listen to Cars it seems to be about finding comfort and safety when you are in complete isolation. It might sound odd but I would love Morrissey to have Aspergers. I could relate to his early stuff so much.
Yes, I can relate to this too, that's pretty much how I feel when I'm driving in my car. In my own bubble of private space :) Morrissey? I don't know, I can't say I've listened to a lot of his stuff.

I have various interests, but generally try to understand the history of whatever topic I am into. Last year my main interest was retro anime which I was watching in chronological order. I did a lot of online research and read a couple of books relating to the subject. Unfortunately I don't have enough time to binge watch all of that anime any more, and the computer with my watch list on it crashed. I really should finish what I started, but that is not a strong point for me.

I am also a musician and love Visual Kei, a Japanese form of glam rock. Funny enough, it was the music that lead me to the anime, whereas for most people it is the other way around. For a long time I have wanted to start a project in the vein of groups like Malice Mizer and Exist Trace, but it was very difficult to find people who shared my tastes. I finally met a singer at an anime convention and proposed that we start an Anime and J-rock cover band. I tried very hard to make it work but was unable to find dedicated musicians. In fact, I wasn't even able to get the whole band in the same room at once. Following this failure I feel kind of lost as this was the one goal in my life that gave me purpose.

Currently I am reading a lot of non-fiction relating to evolutionary biology and cosmology. I also enjoy role playing manuals and have starts designing a new role playing system with my ex boyfriend. He is the only person with whom I can discuss game mechanics for hours, so it was only natural that our ideas should one ay coalesce into something tangible.

70's and 80's music was great. It was like every other song in the charts sounded different. Which song is you fav?

I agree! Sometimes, I wish I was born in the 80's because I love the music so much!

And that funk guitar! I can't get enough of the 80's funk guitar! :D

This is my favourite song:

Huey Lewis and The News are my favourite band.

I agree! Sometimes, I wish I was born in the 80's because I love the music so much!

And that funk guitar! I can't get enough of the 80's funk guitar! :D

This is my favourite song:

Huey Lewis and The News are my favourite band.

Ah, Huey Lewis - Great! I had Fore and Sports on cassette. :)

I grew up in the 70s and 80s too, and I had a Rubick's Cube obsession at one point. I listen to some 80s music too, such as The Police, Talking Heads, Talk Talk, Marillion, Simple Minds, that sort of thing. I'm embarrassed to admit that I also listened to Duran Duran (not the 'done thing' for a prog rock fan) :blush:

I still love Duran Duran and am actually listening to them at this very moment, "The Reflex".

My special interests are The Kinks, The 60s, vintage TV sets, The Olympics both summer and winter and the Internet.

Oh, you're so lucky!

What's your favourite song?
(non-prog 80s:) These are the ones I remember listening to a lot:
Simple Minds - Don't You (forget about me).
Paul Young - Ku Ku Karama
Ultravox - Vienna
Nena - Satellitenstadt
Karat - Albatros

I also listened to a lot of prog or classic rock, not necessarily from the 80s - Roxy Music, Rush, Pink Floyd, The Who, Marillion, The Cure, Peter Gabriel, Paul Young, Meatloaf, Fleetwood Mac, Karat, City and other German bands, Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, The Police.

My obession is comparing military vehicles; I like going to tank museums and playing creative strategy games like Warhammer 40K and Men of War. I like all the technical detail of it. I feel that I would have been an engineer if I didn't do media.

I have lots of obsessions, but my main obsession is machines. Any size or any kind. I love machines. Show me a big, complex machine and I can entertain myself for hours looking it over. One of my favorites is the machine in my avatar. This machine has a fence around it, so I couldn't get as close as I would have liked too.

Always maps...but lately one in particular. The boundaries of Hungary circa 1941. Germany was quite generous to Hungary- largely at Romania's expense.

800px-Hungary_map_1920_-_1941.png

Last edited:
Politics and the Bible for me, although I am trying hard to do away with politics because it tends to make me angry when I see what's happening to my once great country.

I have lots of obsessions, but my main obsession is machines. Any size or any kind. I love machines. Show me a big, complex machine and I can entertain myself for hours looking it over. One of my favorites is the machine in my avatar. This machine has a fence around it, so I couldn't get as close as I would have liked too.

May I ask what that machine does?

Politics and the Bible for me, although I am trying hard to do away with politics because it tends to make me angry when I see what's happening to my once great country.

I can sympathize with that. I used to be much more involved in LGBT rights. When I heard about some of the horrible persecution some people came up against I would take it very personally. It got to the point where I had to back away from the subject for my own mental health.

Apparently David Byrne out of Talking heads has Aspergers and if you listen to some of his stuff you can kind of see it. The lyrics to Psycho killer in particular.
I'd not heard that, but I've seen him perform live and his gangly, almost-awkward (but definitely way cool) movements kind of suggest it, I guess. Not to mention he has been curating music for a long time...he has his own playlist on Songza that has well over a thousand songs, and I quite dig it!

My own obsession? Music, in a way...I love hi-fi, which would of course be pointless if I didn't love music. I have a tube-powered amplifier that my friend gave me in exchange for some work I'm doing for him. I collect all kinds of music of all sorts of different genres, so I *always* have something to put on for whatever mood I might be in.

May I ask what that machine does?

That machine is at the Idaho Nuclear Engineering Laboratory. It was built in the mid fifties. Believe it or not, that is a nuclear powered jet engine. The military wanted to build a aircraft that could stay in the air weeks at a time. Like a nuclear submarine stays underwater. This machine worked, but then they realized it was to big, heavy and dangerous for a aircraft. The project was scraped and it has sat right where it is for sixty years. Just another example of your tax dollars at work.

Yes, I can relate to this too, that's pretty much how I feel when I'm driving in my car. In my own bubble of private space :) Morrissey? I don't know, I can't say I've listened to a lot of his stuff.

In which case you have autonomy over your own private space.

New Threads

Top Bottom