• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your current obsessions?

I have, perhaps thankfully, maintained a very consistent interest in foreign languages for quite some time now. It's safe to say that my main language of interest, if you will, is Japanese (which I managed to more-or-less self-teach and earned an A* at GCSE). With this in mind, I have undertaken a large number of activities related to Japanese culture (both popular and more traditional) which I thoroughly enjoy.

Hakama, however, remain unnecessarily, murderously difficult to tie properly.

I develop short-term obsessions when I have to learn something. Actually, this happens all the time when I'm going to buy something. For instance, toothpaste. I needed toothpast, and I realized that different products had different active ingredients. So I threw myself into internet research to learn which active ingredients were the most effective. Shortly after procuring the desired information, my obsession ended.

That also happens to me. This is one of the few times I feel like my obsessions can work in my favor.

My obsessions are

storms and lightning, always been fascinated with that, once a storm arises my nose is pressed against a window I need to watch *_*
roller coasters
marble runs

My obsession at this moment is writing a story about autism on another website called Fanfiction. It goes hand in hand with my strange fascination with celebrities, or characters from various areas. Right now it's wrestling, the WWE actually.

I have to update that story once or twice a day, depending on how much I like a chapter. And people love it, I mean they really love it. I have people who have children who are autistic telling me they love how I portray the lead character. Someone even admitted to being an Aspie. A reviewer congratulated me on getting the word about autism out there for others to read. And I'm really happy because I usually get scared of what other people think about my work like this.

It is currently this mahjong game on my iMac. It's so pretty. I am trying to beat my high score but some of these layouts are insanely hard to beat the "tilebot".

I guess drinking 7 venti starbucks tumblers of water a day is also a current obsession of mine. lol

My current obsession is, well, NFL theme music. I like CBS and NBC themes for their pregame shows especially. But nothing beats this:

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently I'm obsessed with comic book movies. I've always been a comic book fan with the films mainly. Ever since the 1st Spider-Man came out in 02 I've been hooked. But I think it's more so recently with the avengers out last year it's been a case of "what next?", with iron man and Thor this year. Then batman last year and the superman this year and how they think justice league will work in a few years. It's perked my attention.

Also I think it's an odd one but I've recently been more interested in talking to people and trying to help them through difficulties and such.

I guess my new obsession is trance. It's here to stay since it has always been in my life (well at least for most of college, which is about 7 years), but today it just seemed so perfectly beautiful for this current transition in my life. No jobs lined up for me yet but I'm enjoying this freedom from the ball and chain that was college. Trance is a beautiful subgenre of EDM that takes your ears on a journey to every exotic/peaceful/serene/heavenly/relaxing place possible. I suddenly have a bigger wishlist on iTunes. :cloud9:

skyrim
fable games
some zelda games
fantasy world stuff
metaphysics
street gangs
hip hop culture
stuff about mental illnesses
stuff that is completely opposite of each other because i am totally unorthodox but i dont care cuz i luv it!
oh yea & my drawings....

Interesting thing, unlike most people with Asperger's, I never really seemed to have any true obsession. I would be as enthusiastic about learning anything as I was about learning everything else. But, I believe I recently discovered what it is.

Stories.

It's an exceptionally broad fascination, and encompasses almost everything, from psychoanalysis to astronomical phenomena, to the emergence of a self functioning economy in a virtual world. Drug addictions, the validity of FTL travel, A.I., copper based blood instead of iron to facilitate healing, cryogenics, music, mathematics, DNA, adaptation of viruses, sentient behaviors and increased classification of life, metaphysics, philosophy, cultural ideology, religion, and bio-chemistry (just to name a few). And though I probably haven't pursued each of these subjects as astutely as a person with a finite area of expertise, I have more practical and theoretical knowledge on all of them than almost anyone (not trying to sound arrogant).

The point is, anything that can possibly influence a story, I have an acute interest in. And since stories can really be about pretty much anything and everything, I pursue knowledge in pretty much every field.

I also like it because I can hold conversations with people on practically every subject. And if I can't, I usually pick it up fairly quickly.

So... Those are my thoughts.

I like sports. I fancy the day I will get to read a trilogy of baseball, football and basketball books, each just based on what positive things wins and championships could teach us.

Spent the whole weekend obsessed with creating gifs from pieces of videos, after testing an app what did that in my smartphone. It's a pity that monday came and I can't spent time with that :unhappy:

Over the past few days I've spent hours upon hours reading and watching stuff about street gangs.

Guess that's the obsession for the week now, lol

First post - (I'll put something up in the Introduce Yourself forum soon....my obsession has been James Bond for years. I don't collect memrobilia, but I have all the DVDs and a number of books. I have a ridiculous knowledge of all things Bond - I know the licence plates of some of the cars; the order and years the films were released and lots of other useless facts and figures!

I say useless - but this encyclopedic knowledge did come in useful once. I entered and won a James Bond related quiz (where I had to answer lots of Bond related trivia questions). The prize was a trip for 2 to Hong Kong! Flights and accomodation in a 5 star hotel!

Justice and truth. Though I feel it can be an emotional philosophical trap in which our measurements might become biased.

Something I did not even realize was an obsession until very recently: feminism. Turns out it is more than a bra-burning social movement, and events over the past couple of years have compelled me to look into it and take it seriously, and it has been very eye-opening.

New Threads

Top Bottom