• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your current obsessions?

I find I'm happiest when I have an obsession of some kind.

They give us motivation to get up early morning, right? hahah

I started reading The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith, so it brought me back some old obsessions like European History and geographic maps. Besides that, I feel like I'm interested in Economy for the first time.

I always have some obsession, something I need to keep researching and thinking about. Sometimes the obsession lasts a day, sometimes years. My main obsessions revolve around music and history in some way. Lately I have been obsessed with reading up on the creation of the US Constitution and in particular James Madison's contributions to it.

Smart textiles. So to say, tehcnical sportswear and such. I live at environment with pretty rough weather and because it's not handy to have too many clothes it's worth a time trying to find out what's versatile enough to get purchased. I would spend a) days and weeks studying details on those b) huge amounts of money for those with greatest attributes.

I get obsessed with cities. Currently, those cities are Paris, London, and Lviv, Ukraine - the area my father's family is from.

Cities are awesome, especially those with a rich history such as those you have mentioned in your post Flinty. I would so love to go to Rome or Athens someday!

It's mu "usual" ones now (the ones that's always there... more or less... usually more):
* knowledge (I read everything I can get my hands on, just 'cause I want to know as much as possible. No idea why I want that. Doesn't mean I actually get it, but I know a lot of facts and can a lot of fictional stuff too, since I like to read both. I wish I had it easier to get the stuff's "deeper meanings".)
* drawing and visual beauty (Don't think I need to explain that, but I drew before I could speak actually and I love visual stuff, but especially things I find beautiful, but sometimes things I find grotesque too.)
* tunnels and holes (This is embarrasing, but I can spend hours looking att different types of tunnels and holes, like the underground. And I would never admit this in any other place then here.)
* prismas (sp?), kaleidoscopes etc. (Well, theese are just pleasing to look at and very spellbinding.)

And now I feel like this --->:redface:

I've added palm trees very recently. Sketching them and finding out more than I knew before. Apparently the coco-de-mer is only found on two islands in the Indian Ocean, and produces the biggest seed on Earth (as much as 36 pounds.) This palm tree thing could be a problem, as I cannot bear hot weather. Maybe if I sailed on a very cold ship to the tropics, I could come out and examine the trees after dark.

Antiques, anything antique. Animated movies, Games, Soundtracks, Instrumental Piano music, and Psychedelic drugs.

William Blake, the artist and prophet. I have been collecting all things Blake for over two years and still going strong.

Most of my obsessions stick with me for a long time, sometimes for my entire life (so far). I guess the main one would be sheep. I am totally and completely engrossed in all aspects of the ovine species, and could spend hours talking about a minute detail. I am fascinated at all levels- everything from wool characteristics of different breeds to the history of a certain breed to the genetics of color and pattern inheritance in Nordic short-tailed breeds or fecundity or disease susceptability. The pathology of disease, aspects of management, methods of shearing, everything. Absolutely everything. I also find them incredibly calming and charming and just absolutely wonderful to be around and think about. I totally love working with and reading about them and will talk to anybody with a pulse about them, even though I know most people could care less.

I also love science, especially biology and biochemistry. The biology interest has always been there, but this past semester I have become incredibly interested in biochemistry and moleular biology. I especially love anything to do with nucleic acids, gene expression, and epigenetics, and I love learning about ribozymes (mostly only the small self-cleaving ones though). I love DNA but I think RNA is my favorite molecule. I'm also greatly intrigued by scientists and scientific discoveries, and learning about such people as Mendel, Hershey and Chase, etc. Mendelian genetics is also a love of mine and I find cellular biology and virology deeply interesting as well. I am interested in embryology for sheep but have not had much luck finding information in that.

Currently I love national anthems. I have no musical ability but I love listening to and learning them. I am especially into the New Zealand national anthem and I like to play it over and over again, which completely annoys everybody, but gives me comfort.

I find Latin really interesting and cool. This has been put on the back burner for a bit but I'm pulling it out again.

There are others but these are the main ones.

Computers since the age of 10, nothing much else, I will spend every minute of every day I can on a PC now. I am however extremely obsessed by noise, especially noisy neighbours, but I'm always on edge listening for sounds. I cannot cope with music playing from other people, I wish it didn't upset me as I know it cannot physically hurt me and I wish I could be helped with coping strategies as it makes me feel like hell even worrying that I might hear someone playing music soon, I obsess for instance in case a neighbour buys a new music system or if they have visitors, if they move out it really worries me. It's horrible, it's like a fear inside me that I cannot control.

Computers since the age of 10, nothing much else, I will spend every minute of every day I can on a PC now. I am however extremely obsessed by noise, especially noisy neighbours, but I'm always on edge listening for sounds. I cannot cope with music playing from other people, I wish it didn't upset me as I know it cannot physically hurt me and I wish I could be helped with coping strategies as it makes me feel like hell even worrying that I might hear someone playing music soon, I obsess for instance in case a neighbour buys a new music system or if they have visitors, if they move out it really worries me. It's horrible, it's like a fear inside me that I cannot control.

The computers thing I can definitely relate to...I'm obsessed with them, too. And, they've gotten me in quite a bit of trouble for one reason and another. :)

As for the noise thing, I can sorta relate...extensive loud noises bug me a lot, especially when I'm trying to sleep...or write, or anything else that requires a lot of focus and concentration. :) It's not a fear in my case, more like an annoyance. Good luck!! :D

I was in to computers for a little while. The noise thing... I'm right there with you. Esspecially when I'm trying to go to sleep. Noisy neighbors, barking dogs, noisy ceiling fan. Even the cooling fan in my ps3. It's one of the main reasons I stopped playing Xbox. There just to ****ing loud! I started meditating about a year ago, and that has helped me to tune things out and not bother me as much. I'll be honest, it still is difficult. I also sleep with earplugs sometimes, well most of the time. Loud people are the worse though.

I've been fascinated by many things in my life, but I've come to realize that my previous interests are interconnected into different categories, which seem to me to be my obsessions / long-term interests.

(1) Health

a) Postures at the toilet, in sitting down, etc.
b) Walking Barefoot
c) Alternative medicine--Japanese Reiki, Homeopathic Medicine, Flower Therapy, Alexander Therapy
d) The Vegetarian Diet / The Vegan Diet
e) Food Chemistry and Biology

(2) Knowledge

a) Philosophical Concepts--Epistemology, Ontology, "Being and Becoming" (Process Philosophy)
b) Contemporary problems
c) Third-Wave Feminism
d) Pollution to environment
e) Events leading up to 9/11 / the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars
f) Ancient Greek History, Plays, and Philosophy

(3) Anime

(4) Independent Films, Video Games, and Art

(5) Alternatives to mainstream plastic--The newest of my obsessions

(6) "The private life" / life of the manufacturer--The newest of my obsessions

a) What is public and what is private?
b) Making my own furniture and other products for myself (Want to do at some point)
c) Sustaining a garden (Want to do at some point)
d) Hannah Arendt's Viva Contemplata and Viva Activa (Active Life and Contemplative Life)
e) Odysseus

Last edited:
Sooo while I have some small obsessions that come and fade but never leave like reading, anime, manga, collecting Rocks and teddies. My most main obsession and the big one is BJD's. Now I love my dolls they are expensive I have been into collecting all types of dolls. Started off with American girl dolls, and now have moved to Resin dolls called Ball Jointed Dolls or BJD for short. I am getting a new doll she is coming. I just have to be patient and not want to reach into my computer and pull her out of it. But yah.

That's funny how I didn't know a lot about computers before get in college, and they just became my strongest obsession since then (I mean, the programming part), specially everything related to smartphones. They just fascinate me.

I've got two new obsessions now. My history related obsession is World War I, particularly the Christmas Truce. I was reading up on it and I find it fascinating that such an awful bloody war was stopped temporarily by the soldiers in the trenches themselves to exchange gifts and pleasantries on a holiday. Still really shocks me, there were letters written by the soldiers that I was reading, nice to have a first hand account of the event.

My music obsession is now learning to play drums in the traditional style. I've been playing matched grip my whole life and I thought maybe I ought to try learning to play a different way. Its hard work but I think it will be rewarding in the end.

New Threads

Top Bottom