• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your current obsessions?

I am trying to get better at lockpicking. It is also called locksport.
Grommit,

I have mild obcession with locks/lockpicking, by any chance are you a member of lockpicking101.com? Lots of aspie pickers there as well as professional locksmiths

My Mainstrong interest is door closers! Yes them things at the top of the door that pull it closed after you open them. The interest has stayed with me since I was 12 years old and 31 now and still do not find them boring, when I go anywhere new to me, I cannot resist but to look up(or down if its got a floor closer) to see what brand/series and style of closer is installed. This knowledge of mine has even impressed the professionals to the point where I can't go 2 weeks without a door repair guy asking for help or advice with a closer install or repair. I feel it's a win/win with that. I like answering the closer questions and makes the person happy in the end as well

Before you ask, yes it lead to a collection of 11 closers (last ones I bought on Saturday the 12th of March) a LCN 1461 made in Nov 2000 and Sargent 1251 made in June 1995

Thats another aspie thing of mine. When I get another closer, I look at the date code. And seems that date code oddly falls on a holiday! lol

730fe914ddeea7f40a5441e098a73250.jpg

I am pretty sure I am a member of lockpicking101.com, I joined some discussion group but I cannot now remember for certain what the name was.

I understand about your interest in door closers and I am happy for you. There is joy in what interests you. Also, I have had similar experiences where my aspie obsession knowledge has been valuable to professionals. It is a very good feeling though it happens so rarely. I am interested in knowing how closers work but I cannot learn right now, my mind is full. Keep learning more, it seems there will always be more you can know about door closers and so many more to see for the first time. Thank you for telling me about your interest. :)

Last edited:
An ongong interest is weather and skies.
Apparently I cannot post the image, so here is the link. It is from the spaceweatherdotcom gallery.
From back here it looked like weather and skis. :) (glasses don't focus on the screen) Thought you were watching for skiing weather.

Getting back in shape.
I could run once, but my last run was for an hour in March 2012. Now, due to some foot and leg problems, I can't run. Don't know if I ever will again.
I haven't cared about health or diet since that time, but about a month ago I finally got myself to start eating healthy, cutting back on portions, and exercising. I started going back to the little gym I go to. They got a new stationary bike, and an elliptical that I've been using. Those have been working out well in the place of running. The funny thing about those machines is they have built in programs, but nobody that goes there knows how to use them except for me because I took the time to find and study the manuals on line, and get a heart monitor that syncs with the machines to work the programs.
I'm down 7 pounds in a month. Down 35 would be my ultimate goal. 25 is probably a realistic goal.:)

Still sticking to it. Down 11 all week. Seem to have hit a wall. Haven't lost an ounce all week, but worked out and ate healthy low cal everyday.

My Mainstrong interest is door closers! Yes them things at the top of the door that pull it closed after you open them. The interest has stayed with me since I was 12 years old and 31 now and still do not find them boring said:

I kind of have a passing interest in door closers also. The building I work in was built in the 30's. The date is stamped in the end of the door closers. I've been there for 32 years and I've always been impressed that they are still going strong.

I kind of have a passing interest in door closers also. The building I work in was built in the 30's. The date is stamped in the end of the door closers. I've been there for 32 years and I've always been impressed that they are still going strong.
Cool, have any pics of the closers? What is your job in the building? Private message me if you want,

30's... sounds like you have norton or LCN or Corbin or russwin "potbelly" style there, if there is any closer with problems please let me know, i am an expert in them and i enjoy helping people with their questions abour them.

The quality sure is not the same as today's closers, back then it was designed to last, now the brand wants you to buy a whole new one and not take apart your broken one now if you want that there are places around the country that rebuild them and send you your closer back and not a cheap look alike

Got another closer yesterday at a different flea market for 10 dollars

78232e5177f5923a057e335ad1288754.jpg

Hear from you soon!

How do door closers work? Based on the movement and sounds I've tried to imagine what's inside but I can't.
Most of them they are rack and pinion inside with a spring on one side of the rack (piston) that pushes the piston to one side of the closer.

Basically when you open door you compress the spring by rotating the pinion and that pushes the piston to other side of closer. When you let door close, the spring pushes the piston the other way causing the door to close,

while the door is closing, there is oil being forced through a series of passageways creating the dampening effect and valve screws that are adjustable to adjust to make it faster or slower.

I hope this explains it of hope a closer works, there are also different types of closers, some work similar to the piston and shaft of a lawnmower engine or like a syringe.

Many times you can find cut a ways on eBay or find promo videos on YouTube made by ASSA ABLOY that can show graphically how it works.

Thank you. I think that is an excellent description and I think I understand now. I didn't know about the oil and passages used for dampening. It helps me finally understand the purpose of the screw. If it was me, I think I would be tempted to take the closer apart and see if I could improve it. I do that with other machines, polishing and smoothing parts, helping things mate, hoping for a smoother more reliable operation. I have had some success. It is very nice.

I suppose i am considered lucky as my primary obsession is with psychology of which I am studying professionally. I cant seem to stop thinking about how people's mind function and how theories of psychology can be related to daily functions. Psych has been my primary obsession for most of my life however i did have a brief obsession with snakes, their bodies and the way they moved fascinated me! At one point I knew the names of every snake in accepted existence in latin haha but that was a long time ago...

I suppose i am considered lucky as my primary obsession is with psychology of which I am studying professionally. I cant seem to stop thinking about how people's mind function and how theories of psychology can be related to daily functions. Psych has been my primary obsession for most of my life however i did have a brief obsession with snakes, their bodies and the way they moved fascinated me! At one point I knew the names of every snake in accepted existence in latin haha but that was a long time ago...

Being aspie can be fun. I don't think NTs will ever know.

Thank you. I think that is an excellent description and I think I understand now. I didn't know about the oil and passages used for dampening. It helps me finally understand the purpose of the screw. If it was me, I think I would be tempted to take the closer apart and see if I could improve it. I do that with other machines, polishing and smoothing parts, helping things mate, hoping for a smoother more reliable operation. I have had some success. It is very nice.
I know a few closer rebuilders who may be aspies who do just that. One guy who asked for my help with a simple adjustment did once lead to him getting wondering how they work and asked for help to take apart the LCN 4040XP series which in 2011 made it easier to repair when they started to use a 3/4 inch nut on the "short end"of the closer

As time passes and get into it they become easy and you start to wonder why there is not many others who can figure them out.

Being aspie can be fun. I don't think NTs will ever know.
That's true but is does have its downsides that would be nice if NT people had a better understanding of these struggles. I think with a disorder like aspergers that has very few proven effective treatments it is important to see the upsides of our brains working differently to NT people.

That sounds like basic gunsmithing.

The Swiss People's Party is one of my current obsessions. If you notice, I have part of the SVP's logo as my avatar.

(I'm a UKIP supporter, so it kind of makes sense, given that the policies of the two parties are nearly identical.)

That sounds like basic gunsmithing.

Yes, that is what I was talking about, my gunsmithing. I once took a 1911.45ACP with five stoppages in 100 rounds to zero after my work. I was very proud of that. My feedramps look like mirrors and I have also polished breach faces though they are harder to reach and I am not sure they add much to reliability. I have polished magazine lips and followers, sears, though not to make them slip. Other parts as well. If I could I would work on guns most of the time. I worry people misunderstand my interest in them. To me they are machines and I like machines. Some are beautifully made. I guess it is an obsession because I have just gone on about it. No money now so no guns. Always wanted to work on a bolt action rifle.

Ever hear of the term "lock stock and barrel"?

Locksmiths also used to work on guns in 1800's and early 1900s
I did not know that. I am trying to learn lockpicking though I am doing poorly at it. I would love to learn all about locks and do locksmithing. It seems like it would be a very good fit for me. I am trying.

Funny thought - we could work together on doors :)

New Threads

Top Bottom