• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your current obsessions?

trying to figure out if i have aspergeres or not.

finding the answer/solution to a problem is something that i am commonly odsessed.

I've felt the same about myself for some time now...it's why I spend so much time here. Time well worth spent, too.

trying to figure out if i have aspergeres or not.

finding the answer/solution to a problem is something that i am commonly odsessed.
You have the rest of your life to figure it out. It is not as important to figure out what your personality is called, as it is to understand how it is perceived by others.

Peace wrote

"You have the rest of your life to figure it out."

That is true, and thank you for saying so.

Peace wrote

"It is not as important to figure out what your personality is called, ... as it is to understand how it is perceived by others."

Is aspergers a descriptive term for a type of personality?

I suppose what i'm actually trying to figure out is if how I am is my natural way of being or if how I am is a reaction to circumstances/something that hapened in my childhood.

Peace wrote

"You have the rest of your life to figure it out."

That is true, and thank you for saying so.

Peace wrote

"It is not as important to figure out what your personality is called, ... as it is to understand how it is perceived by others."

Is aspergers a descriptive term for a type of personality?

I suppose what i'm actually trying to figure out is if how I am is my natural way of being or if how I am is a reaction to circumstances/something that hapened in my childhood.
/.
They are the same. All of your experiences make up who you are as a person, good and bad. As we grow older, we learn to use the parts that we desire to achieve certain results.
As far as the description goes, Yes. Normal, Bi Polar, Religious, liberal and so on, are all ways of describing how a person acts. People feel the need to put labels on things, so we get Aspergers. Fine with me, it doesn't change anything. I am awesome just the way I am, and so are you. We will always find people who agree, and those who disagree. Just find people who like you and don't worry about the rest.

My current obsession is this stuff called gimp (boondoggle or craft lace which ever you prefer). You can make so much stuff out of it if you know how to do the stitches! It kinda actually relaxes me in a way because if I had a bad day or I just need to take my mind off things, I try out new stitches and/or make similar stitches that I've done. Or if I'm bored and just need something to do other than being on the computer or my 3DS.

I have an obsession with books. Words excite me in a way nothing else ever has. It's the mysterious scent of paper that pulls me in, the
texture of it between my finger tips, the sound of pages turning...
I could quite happily exist in a world devoid of speech, as long as stories thrived.

My current obsessions (and probably ones that will stick around for a while) are Harry Potter and the rock band Kiss, more specifically Ace Frehley and Peter Criss, the original guitarist and drummer of the group.

My current obsessions (and probably ones that will stick around for a while) are Harry Potter and the rock band Kiss, more specifically Ace Frehley and Peter Criss, the original guitarist and drummer of the group.

Both of those are great :D I'm a Harry Potter fan myself lol

A 19th century "rookery" (what we would today call a "loft apartment building", but they didn't have the strict residence laws they have today, so the conditions were horrible), and by extension, the "Five Points" area it was located in.

It started 30 years ago, when I was becoming increasingly interested in comparative architecture in different cities. This from growing up in NYC, and noticing the differences of Springfield, MA on old buildings. The most obvious being that NYC ues fire escapes, while Springfield uses wooden "back porches" (not just on houses, but old apartment buildings or "tenements" as well, which you don't see in NYC. Chicago does use them, however. My grandmother up there was very hard to get along with, so the whole experience had an effect on me, and the older style physical surroundings just added to my homesickness and became something I fixated on when I grew up).

So I run across this newspaper article on Jacob Riis' How the Other Half Lives about the horrible condition of "tenements" in NYC in the 19th century.
It shows this picture of a building with a wooden porch-like extension (with steps to a second floor entrance), and the architecture didn't look like NYC either. It reminded me a bit more of New England.
So I was just so intrigued, and wondered where that was, if it was still there, why it looked so different, and is that what "tenements" looked like 100 years earlier.

15 years later (halfway between then and now), I run across another article on it, that gave the street (right near where I worked) but not the address, and this sparked off my interest again briefly. The article also showed one other building with a wooden porch, a "rear tenement" on a street I could not even find on the map, and it mentioned "Five Points", the neighborhood right behind where I work, and foundations being uncovered for the new courthouse that was just built there.
A few years later, I was reminded of this when the movie "the Gangs of New York" came out, which takes place in the neighborhood 150 years ago. (Didn't watch it, and now seeing some clips online, it's way too gory for me with all the violence).

So just this past winter, something led me to do an internet search on it, and while the photo was not apart of Riis' book (he had many other photos besides the ones in the book), I find the photo, and it has the actual address which was located right at the back entrance of my old job! (I had passed right over it going out to look for it one lunch hour back then!) Wow!

So that sparked off this latest interest, and seeking to find out exactly what it was, I research Five Points, learn about "the Old Brewery" at the center of it (and the movie) and then run across old fire insurance maps, which show a distillery at the address I was interested in, and the distillery was adjacent to the real life Old Brewery (and likely once apart of it).
So it wasn't a real tenement after all, just an industrial building converted into one.

So I began chronicling the changes I saw in the fire insurance maps, up to the building being replaced by a regular tenement (which itself was cleared shortly after for the Civic Center where I used to work), and started a blog entry on this, which then I had to break into several comments, and even spin off a couple of new articles.
Porches, Points and Poverty: How Other Halves Lived | "ERIPEDIA"

I even had to sign up for the NY Historical Society library to gain access to three maps that weren't online, in order to complete the chronology.

It seems like something silly to have spent so much energy on, but it is something that was basically "grandfathered" into my mind, since it goes back 30 years, and would come to the surface every now and then.
In the course of all of this, I even discover a back porch on a rather familiar building still there!

It was like a fun "distraction" in a somewhat tough period, both financially (which seems like a great injustice for several reasons), and just being in midlife and looking back over everything and where I am now.

Before, most of my time was going into Typology (as I've discussed here a bit). But right now, I'm trying to use the Jungian concepts to understand my life better, as well as trying to develop better ways of explaining the type concepts.
So this was just something else that I found very "interesting". Interesting to see how different the area is, and even to see the "survivors" from the period.
And if it's true that the distillery was once apart of the Old Brewery, then that has some historical significance (being that the brewery is given a lot of significance) since there don't seem to be any real pictures of the brewery, but Riis did take this photo of [what was once] the distillery.

My current obsessions are:
American fire trucks, I want to be an (American) firefighter/paramedic
Helping people
Cars and trucks
and computers and other related tech.

I'm still obsessed with books. I have so many right now, that I have no more shelf space, 63 of them are piled upon the sofa.
(I also collect bookmarks) :)

I'm still obsessed with books. I have so many right now, that I have no more shelf space, 63 of them are piled upon the sofa.
(I also collect bookmarks) :)
I always use the oddest things as bookmarks, haha, like old gas station receipts or bits of paper I tore out of a moleskine notebook that have writing on them.

Right now it's gender issues, the 4 classical elements, nature photographs, and actors Devon Bostick and Jay Baruchel

quadraphonic sound, in terms of quadraphonic recordings and the quadraphonic equipment to play them on. digitizing my collection of quadraphonic recordings onto universal discs to be played on any DVD machine. converting stereo recordings to surround sound using my collection of signal processing hardware and software.

I was obsessed with shoes as a kid and would always look at peoples feet before their face, i would look under my families shoes to check wear and tear. I also had a weird little game i played where i would make someone say a certain word like "question mark" for example, i would have to carefully orcastrate the conversation until they said the word, then i could relax. Also I could never stand to stand on cracks in the pavement and would sometimes go onto the road to avoid them.

I always wondered how strange it would be to bump into your identical twin who you didn't know existed. I once saw somebody who looked very similar to myself, to the extreme that I nearly asked when their birthday was. That was kind of strange.
That has happened to me when i was just 16, i went with my collage to see a play in a theater then many of my classmates were asking me what i was doing sat by the stage, as we were all on the top seating area, A girl next to me pointed out this boy, but as it was a distance i couldn't see him properly in the face but he had the same hairstyle as me and the same coulor hair and same tan leather jacket and jeans. I thought it was just a coincidence. Later i passed this boy on the stairway and I was astonished he had same eyes mouth nose everything , I was shocked and he was looking at me too , our eyes locked together but he seemed afraid and disappeared into the crowd , i tried to look for him, but he didn't return to his seat in the theater either.... It was something very strange i have always remembered, Perhaps doppelgängers do exist after all Lol!

New Threads

Top Bottom