• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your controversial opinions regarding the autism spectrum?

It's funny because as much as l have a toxic relationship with my autism, l also may not give it up if a cure suddenly appeared, so that is a unpopular belief, that maybe we wouldn't give up that part of us. Because l hear plenty of people here upset with autism. But l hate the job thing, that has pushed me into crappy jobs because my personality wasn't important in a certain job l had but it was cash under the table, it wasn't unsafe, and l could live in Hawaii alone. So yes, l wouldn't give up my autism today if offered a cure. It's a bad boyfriend, but there are some good qualities.

Last edited:
My unpopular belief? Is that we maybe rounded up and sent to camps. I know this is farfetched, but still, l know that it's hard to manipulate me. It's disturbing that there isn't more research into Autism. I do see more people coming forward and disclosing their Autism. But l worry if we ever go into some serious lockdown because of a global event, are we going to be targeted? Probably not, but it's just an anxiety concern of mine.

It's more of a scare to me. This is a open post where we are allowed to discuss things, even though fears or beliefs maybe irrational. People have been sent to camps for all kinds of things. I also have a fear of our resources drying up such as water. Will certain groups be whisked away based on some elimination system. I need to write a book on this. Lol

It's more of a scare to me. This is a open post where we are allowed to discuss things, even though fears or beliefs maybe irrational. People have been sent to camps for all kinds of things. I also have a fear of our resources drying up such as water. Will certain groups be whisked away based on some elimination system. I need to write a book on this. Lol
Yikes, pretty scary. It would be good fodder for a book. I would read it! (And probably never sleep again… Although I’m already an insomniac so it’s OK, I will read it.)

Hans Asperger discovered us mixed in with other "defectives" and Jews in the death camps, and saved those newly considered useful. Of course, anything can happen in the current chaos.

Not an opinion but just an observation and probably advice. No one has a gun to your head forcing you to note that you are autistic on job applications. As a matter of fact (as much as I resent this fact, don't get me wrong) it's often advantageous not to, sadly.

Last edited:
I mean those who say they have a diagnosis. They do a lot of talking about themselves in forums and videos. And it's like where's the autism? Has the spectrum stretched to the point where autism traits are virtually nonexistent? What's the point in that?
They probably were sitting in a room alone, filming themselves infodumping about their special interest (the autism spectrum). They most likely filmed a zilliion takes, and deleted hours of content, before getting the right one (like taking selfies).

The most controversial opinions I can ever think of is "Han Asperger" and how in the course of the 3rd Reich that he accepted funding grants from the Nazis for his works on autism research. There had been countless speculations that he euthanised a hand full of autistic children during both the war and the regime.
Since more manipulative autistic rights activist are wanting "Asperger's" or "Aspie" to become like profanity, I had this pushed out towards me quite a few times. Overall, most of these activist and toxic advocates wants this term "Asperger's" and "Aspie" to be obsolete and never again be used while explaining autism.

This is absolutely untrue and it is frustrating how many keep repeating this. Hans Asperger was NOT a Nazi nor did he euthanatize children. I have responded to this on a few occasions, but many keep spewing the same BS when there is zero substantiation.

You would think that at least those with Asperger's/ASD Level 1 would know better, but obviously not.

In addition, the term Asperger Syndrome was created by psychiatrist Dr Lorna Wing in the 1980’s, not Dr Hans Asperger himself.

Please educate yourself before repeating untruths.

Even Dr Tony Attwood talked about this in an interview which starts at 12:25.

I thought most with Autism were into facts, details, analysis, and shying away from attention, superficial talk, contacts and distortions? Oh well, I guess Autism is mutating these days, like the profile update posts.

Last edited:
This is absolutely untrue and it is frustrating how many keep repeating this. Hans Asperger was NOT a Nazi nor did he euthanatize children. I have responded to this on a few occasions, but many keep spewing the same BS when there is zero substantiation.

You would think that at least those with Asperger's/ASD Level 1 would know better, but obviously not.

In addition, the term Asperger Syndrome was created by psychiatrist Dr Lorna Wing in the 1980’s, not Dr Hans Asperger himself.

Please educate yourself before repeating untruths.

Even Dr Tony Attwood talked about this in an interview which starts at 12:25.

I honestly don't think it matters either way. It's not like it changes our condition.

I honestly don't think it matters either way. It's not like it changes our condition.

You are absolutely correct in that it will not change our condition, but it absolutely matters.

Unsubstantiated accusations detract from the seminal work that Dr Asperger initiated.

How do you think his family would react if they read some of these slanderous rants?

Autistic people are not exempt from having to give our swamp asses a shower on a somewhat regular basis. No one is. This DiScOuRsE should't even need to happen, in any subculture.

This is like a sign on a McDonald's bathroom door pleading for customers not to shoot up in there.

If you're too depressed and low-energy, that's one thing. Even then, going out to the grocery store in a bathrobe and sweatpants having taken a sponge bath is better than no bath at all. A baby wipe to the pits, crack, and junk, while a crude and imperfect solution, has gotten many a rock and metal musician through a long tour.

Learn to turn it from a sensory chore into a sensory delight. get some decent soap in a scent you love (or no scent at all) and consider investing in a detachable showerhead with a switch for pressure settings. Take all the time you need to get the water temperature at juuuuuuust the hyper-specific Goldilocks spot you like; I know even NTs are quite particular about this very thing.

In the past people have yelled at me for taking too long showers, that's just because I obsessively go over every problem area to ensure it's washed and pleasant smelling. My self-care routine isn't exactly Patrick Bateman's, I obsess over simply attaining adequacy.

When I was little however I kicked and screamed and tried to put off bathtime all week because for some reason my child mind equated the bath with drowning. I thought that just because I looked cleaner than Pigpen from Peanuts, the layer of accumulated grime and ashy elbows I'd grown desensitized to meant I "wasn't dirty". News flash, individual humans are nose-blind to their own stench more often than not. I realized that way too old. And dawn breaks over Marblehead!

Psssssst, somebody tell that to metalheads and the competitive Smash Bros circuit...

Last edited:
Don't bother hyping up your art like you're the next van Gogh when the actual product is some 6-year-old's original Sonic character on an IHOP placemat in RoseArt crayon. Your Master Chief could've been confused for Squidward or the Squidbillies, even. I honestly can't help but wonder whether some of our community's visual... "talents" are not the product of autism, but delusions of grandeur.

You have no idea how agonizing it is to smile and nod while practically being held hostage listening through some NT acquaintence's SoundCloud rap project. You really think I'm just gonna lie through my teeth and tell you what you want to hear when you're trying to present MSPaint furry inflation fetish art like it's Picasso?! Let's be real - who do you think you're fooling? Highlights Magazine?

Last edited:
Not everyone is meant to make it in life, and that includes a lot of people with autism. We shouldn't lie to them and feed them stories about how they just need to open up, find confidence or try harder etc. Life isn't a movie.

We shouldn't lie to them and feed them stories about how they just need to open up, find confidence or try harder etc.
I was diagnosed with a major mental illness in my twenties. The psychiatrist was extremely blunt about my poor prognosis. I wouldn't get an education. I wouldn't hold a job. I wouldn't have a spouse or a family. They hoped to make me comfortable in a managed living situation by carpet bombing me with meds. This left me without hope and extremely suicidal. I nearly managed to off myself a couple of times. My hope for the future was gone.

I was very lucky in that I was an AA member at the time and you'll never meet a more stubborn bunch. They dragged me out of my bed into meetings and pushed me when I wouldn't push myself. They helped me regain hope and to develop a recovery oriented attitude. I started making goals, hitting goals, and moving forward thanks to this.

The scorecard three decades later: Educated, several careers, 22 years of marriage to an awesome lady, have a 21 year old daughter I'm proud of, have accomplishments to show off, etc. It was getting my hope back that made the difference. It helped motivate me to push past the bad days and strive for better ones.

Please don't ever steal someone else's hope. Maybe they won't achieve what you or I can, but they likely have room for improvement and need encouragement and support to get there. Be a nice human and help them help themselves up with a few words of encouragement. You'd be amazed at how far a simple kindness can travel over the years.

My 2 cents.

I was diagnosed with a major mental illness in my twenties. The psychiatrist was extremely blunt about my poor prognosis. I wouldn't get an education. I wouldn't hold a job. I wouldn't have a spouse or a family. They hoped to make me comfortable in a managed living situation by carpet bombing me with meds. This left me without hope and extremely suicidal. I nearly managed to off myself a couple of times. My hope for the future was gone.

I was very lucky in that I was an AA member at the time and you'll never meet a more stubborn bunch. They dragged me out of my bed into meetings and pushed me when I wouldn't push myself. They helped me regain hope and to develop a recovery oriented attitude. I started making goals, hitting goals, and moving forward thanks to this.

The scorecard three decades later: Educated, several careers, 22 years of marriage to an awesome lady, have a 21 year old daughter I'm proud of, have accomplishments to show off, etc. It was getting my hope back that made the difference. It helped motivate me to push past the bad days and strive for better ones.

Please don't ever steal someone else's hope. Maybe they won't achieve what you or I can, but they likely have room for improvement and need encouragement and support to get there. Be a nice human and help them help themselves up with a few words of encouragement. You'd be amazed at how far a simple kindness can travel over the years.

My 2 cents.
Personally i believe in the proverb "don't let perfect be the enemy of good", but what i don't believe in is stories and stereotypes. I am not going to give a person false hope by telling them stories of underdogs making it in the world by finding confidence and believing in themselves.

New Threads

Top Bottom