• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Well that was a big ole waste of time

Astroganga

I have a phobia of speaking on the phone, so making a call to make an appointment to see the GP for an ASD referral was not something I was keen on doing. So I decided to go there in person but that wasn't so simple as my GP isn't that far in distance but is the complete opposite direction of where I usually need to go, also I needed to go alone and not with the kids so again opportunities for that are rare indeed. Just now I finally had the opportunity. The receptionist let me do my whole carefully researched spiel including wanting to see a GP with experience of making such referrals, before telling me they have this new stupid policy where you have to call on a Monday morning now even for non-urgent appointments well in advance. They have a limited number of appointments released every Monday and they are for two weeks later. So now I have to call on Monday, give them the whole spiel again, and there is a risk I will be told 'sorry all the appointments are gone call back next week'. There aren't enough angry faces on here to convey how stressed and hopeless I feel right now.

That's so frustrating! Similar to you I hate speaking on the phone and find it very anxiety producing. But try to think of how accomplished you will feel when you are able to make an appointment for yourself and receive your ASD referral. Try to keep that in mind while you make the phone call :)

That sound pretty frustrating. I hate phone calls too but I can sort of do them. When I call to book an appointment with my GP sometimes they want you to book on the day and other times you can book when ever they have an opening. It's quite annoying when you have a hard time waking up in the morning because of medication.

It took me three years to finaly get somewhere with the GP to finaly get diagnosed due to the fact that a doctor told me he was refering me but never did. I then went to a mental health charity who give me an advocate to help me. I hate speaking on the phone to i would actualy prefer to speak to someone face to face.

I have a phobia of speaking on the phone, so making a call to make an appointment to see the GP for an ASD referral was not something I was keen on doing. So I decided to go there in person but that wasn't so simple as my GP isn't that far in distance but is the complete opposite direction of where I usually need to go, also I needed to go alone and not with the kids so again opportunities for that are rare indeed. Just now I finally had the opportunity. The receptionist let me do my whole carefully researched spiel including wanting to see a GP with experience of making such referrals, before telling me they have this new stupid policy where you have to call on a Monday morning now even for non-urgent appointments well in advance. They have a limited number of appointments released every Monday and they are for two weeks later. So now I have to call on Monday, give them the whole spiel again, and there is a risk I will be told 'sorry all the appointments are gone call back next week'. There aren't enough angry faces on here to convey how stressed and hopeless I feel right now.

You must be from the UK then because the whole phoning in the morning for appointments (doesn't need to be a Monday necessarily) is a UK NHS thing here where I live. I was sure only councilors could refer you to be diagnosed, not a GP, as a GP refers you to the councilor.

You must be from the UK then because the whole phoning in the morning for appointments (doesn't need to be a Monday necessarily) is a UK NHS thing here where I live. I was sure only councilors could refer you to be diagnosed, not a GP, as a GP refers you to the councilor.
Yes I'm from the UK. It depends on the area but in this part of London the GP refers to the Adult autism service who undertake an interim assessment and then decide whether or not to refer you to a formal diagnostic assessment (which they usually do from what I have heard-it is getting the GP to do the initial referral that is the hard part). In this area all referrals for anything need to be done initially through the GP, counsellors etc cannot refer. It was the same in Manchester if I recall correctly.

ETA: in some areas I have been told the GP refers direct to the diagnostic service. In others they refer to a mental health team-this was the problem when I tried to get referred ten years ago, as the team I was referred to thought all my problems were just a symptom of depression and nothing else

It wasn't until my recent diagnosis that I understood my aversion to the phone was social anxiety, linked to AS. Unless it's a business call, I refuse to speak to someone on the phone I haven't met in person, which is (sometimes) a pain for some people.

Even though I've TRAINED people how to answer the phone correctly, if I have to make a call (professional) it takes me several days to psych myself up for it. Once I actually do it, I'm fine. A psychiatrist once had me make a call from his office, because he (for some reason) thought I didn't "know how" to make calls, but I tried to explain that I was a professional (at the time) and knew exactly HOW to make a call, I just didn't want to.

I don't have a fancy phone. I have a $20 flip phone with no Internet access and if people are trying to get in touch, they e-mail me. The only thing worse for me (using the phone) is having to go someplaces I've never been, alone.

Thanks.I used to work as an admin and receptionist, part of which involved receiving calls, but most people contacted by email or came in, in person (it was at an online retailer that also supplied to trade, and the trade customers always came themselves). Also any calls we did get (approx 3 calls a week) weren't an unknown quantity, they would usually be about 'where is my order?' Or once in a blue moon from an old dear who preferred to order over the phone.

Last edited:
Update: I called as soon as they opened but am on hold and.....wait for it.....I am number 23 in the queue. Meanwhile while on hold I am forced to listen to the mind-numbing spiel of a recorded message of the receptionist talking about their services and other NHS services in the area (complete with mispronounced hospital names etc-Saint Lee-oh-nard's anyone?). Gah, won't give up but worry my not great house phone battery will

Another update: I made the appointment, 4th April the receptionist said she was giving the doctor a heads up so she is aware what I am coming in for.thank you all for your support and encouragement.

New Threads

Top Bottom