• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weekly Video sharing Thread: theme and variations

autism-and-autotune

A musical mind with recent revelations
Good morning! Here is another small thread in which I will share some of my music.

My most recent video this morning explores counterpoint over an old melody which was a common-practice way of writing 'themes and variations.' Maybe exploring over a theme for variations is a better way to put this? Bach is most famously known to come up with an entire chorale partita over a given melody. Commonly, organists would present such creations into the following: a chorale (on an already-known melody), followed by a fugue, followed by a partita (in which many variations may exist, such as with this partita) and usually the concluding movement would be an elaboration on the chorale itself.

This little quartet, which I may have shared earlier, is similarly an exploration of a melody with different settings. If it could be anything, perhaps a motet for voices? I cannot come up with any words though...

One of the other melodies (called a cantus firmus, if we're being prim and proper) which I've explored is 'Aus tiefer Not', taken from one of the Psalms. It earliest use was in a fugue; later on it would be in another instrumental setting; and finally a little chorale setting.

Thanks for reading and listening! I hope it's been of interest to you all :)

Beautifully done! I love how you give information leading up to the links and pieces. It helps me understand classical music a little bit better, though it still seems a little complex for me, with certain terms and vocabulary. But, the more I see and hear such, and understand the background info, the more I seem to appreciate it. Everything I listened to at those links sounds so professional to me, and again with much feeling. It reminded me of the church days of old when I was there listening to organs. Keep up the great playing and performing!

Beautifully done! I love how you give information leading up to the links and pieces. It helps me understand classical music a little bit better, though it still seems a little complex for me, with certain terms and vocabulary. But, the more I see and hear such, and understand the background info, the more I seem to appreciate it. Everything I listened to at those links sounds so professional to me, and again with much feeling. It reminded me of the church days of old when I was there listening to organs. Keep up the great playing and performing!
Thanks :) I appreciate your kind words a lot! I try to give as much info as I can without being too overloading, but I'm glad it's helpful too.

New Threads

Top Bottom