• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weather Phobia

Riley

I'm terrified of bad weather. Not only tornadoes; Pretty much rain, 'strong' winds, thunder, lightning, and gray clouds. It all started last year, on December 23rd. You'll understand better if you lived in the South U.S. during that time. We'd gone a LONG while without any actual bad storms, so I was no longer used to them.

Plus, it was right before Christmas Eve. And we had to go to our storm shelter TWICE that night. Combine with a memory of brief homelessness after a fire and you've got yourself one terrified preteen/teen.

I was never really scared of storms when I was a young child. If anything, I LOVED rain. Guessed to myself this phase was due to 'missing out.'

Also:
  • If it's storming outside, I'm terrified of doing ANYTHING: Sleeping, bathing, going to the bathroom, etc,. That first one's the more major worry: Being asleep and getting killed by a tornado all because I didn't hear the siren. Mom reassures me she'd wake me up or that the siren itself would wake me up.
  • I used to have this habit of packing a bag of things on a stormy day just in case. As of late, I've been lax. And that scares me.
  • Can thunderstorms and lightning happen in winter WITHOUT there being a storm warning?

Poor you and especially since you live in a land that is rife for that kind of thing!

I do get you though, because it was around the 1980's, in England ( where I come from) and I was 18 and working in London and was asked to go to another shop, just around the corner, to deliver a package and so, off I went, and it HIT me the force of the wind! I had no idea how bad it was and I nearly lost my life that day! And from that point, an intense fear of strong winds and yes, I do not like it either, when it is very cloudy; feels horribly frightening.

I used to be terrified of thunder and lightening, until one day, I realised that thunder doesn't hurt and in truth, one would be dead before they realised the lightening had struck and from then, I stopped being so scared. I still do not relish it, but can get on with things; whereas before, I would cower and whimper and my husband would have to come home from work!

I am afraid that yes, winter is not excluded and one can even have constant flashes without the thunder! One night I experienced this and was rigid with fear and didn't help when a "kind" person said that was even worse than thunder and lightening!

Get back into the habit of packing an emergency bag.

What you are fearful of if you had a bath or shower or something is suddenly it happens and you are stuck, which causes you to not wish to get clean, JUST IN CASE.

But I am pretty sure you do have warnings out there, don't you?

I'm terrified of bad weather. Not only tornadoes; Pretty much rain, 'strong' winds, thunder, lightning, and gray clouds. It all started last year, on December 23rd. You'll understand better if you lived in the South U.S. during that time. We'd gone a LONG while without any actual bad storms, so I was no longer used to them.

Plus, it was right before Christmas Eve. And we had to go to our storm shelter TWICE that night. Combine with a memory of brief homelessness after a fire and you've got yourself one terrified preteen/teen.

I was never really scared of storms when I was a young child. If anything, I LOVED rain. Guessed to myself this phase was due to 'missing out.'

Also:
  • If it's storming outside, I'm terrified of doing ANYTHING: Sleeping, bathing, going to the bathroom, etc,. That first one's the more major worry: Being asleep and getting killed by a tornado all because I didn't hear the siren. Mom reassures me she'd wake me up or that the siren itself would wake me up.
  • I used to have this habit of packing a bag of things on a stormy day just in case. As of late, I've been lax. And that scares me.
  • Can thunderstorms and lightning happen in winter WITHOUT there being a storm warning?

It sure is a good idea to have a bad packed. Good on you! :) It should be easy to get another together. I think everyone should have one. Come to think of it, I don't but I may go ahead and start one.

I used to have all sorts of supplies in my car because I had to live in two different places. It is a good place to have them in your car or a family member car because it's there. Then, run to car.....and split!!

I know how you feel; I used to love storms and rain, then about a year ago a massive storm came over my house and nearly tore the roof off. Now I'm terrified of storms. Seriously, the entire roof of our house started to lift up and hail and rain started coming into the house. The weird thing is, we aren't even supposed to get storms where we live, but it was the worst storm anyone in my family had ever seen.

Thunderstorms are less likely in the winter but are still possible. Increased moisture and warmer days are what cause afternoon showers in the summer. I spent most of my life in NC and have seen some pretty powerful storms.

Perhaps you should research thunderstorms. Learning about them may help you overcome your fears. We are usually more afraid of things we don't understand.

Thunderstorms are less likely in the winter but are still possible. Increased moisture and warmer days are what cause afternoon showers in the summer. I spent most of my life in NC and have seen some pretty powerful storms.

Perhaps you should research thunderstorms. Learning about them may help you overcome your fears. We are usually more afraid of things we don't understand.

Yeah...I'm what you'd call a hypochondriac. Only it doesn't JUST apply to diseases.

New Threads

Top Bottom