• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Way of the future, or artificial intelligence as a religion

I misunderstood. I thought that you were responding to Sportster's post [#39]. That not being the case, I must agree with you.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if humans started worshiping artificial or synthetic intelligence. Whatever floats your boat, but don't expect me to worship scrap metal junk.

I believe there's a fiscal motivation behind a lot of organizations establishing their group as a religion, but I may be wrong. If anybody can confirm/infirm, feel free to jump in.

But I agree with you, why are we trying to give machines that aren't yet sentient something that we can't give every human being (and when I say can't... in some countries, it's more a matter of won't)?

I so agree with you. This guy is creating a “church” because he can advance his own personal agenda as a non profit, and get tax benefits from it. “ In an interview with Wired, Levandowski explained that he chose a church to promote his vision of AI—rather than a startup or tech think tank—so that everyday people can get excited about the possibility of a future run by artificial intelligence. He believes that this future is inevitable, and that AI will begin to disrupt every conceivable industry whether we like it or not—so we're better off getting on board now.”

He is a cheap salesman peddling his wares to “everyday people” and he is utilizing some pretty slick marketing tactics. I ask why do humans need to “worship” anything? Why are we seeming hard wired to need to believe in something spiritual? I can understand ancient hunter gatherers doing this, but c’mon, we should be far too intelligent for this sort of thing.

He is in eff ct, not creating a god to worship, but a platform in which people to accept and embrace technology. He is just using some triggering words such as “church” and “religion” to create extreme social media buzz.

New Threads

Top Bottom