• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

visual differences in child with autism

shaunaq68

Hi, my son was diagnosed with autism at the age of 2 and is now 12 years old. He is considered level 2 in the DSMV 5 and is absolutely the best thing that has ever happened to me. I love him dearly and he is limited verbally but has made huge progress through the years. I began homeschooling him this year and decided to give him a visual test for color blindness and he failed all but one of the questions. The questions involved colored pictures of dots with numbers inside that needed to be identified by seeing the different shades of colors. My question is how do i know if it is the shades of colors he can't see or if he can't see them due to the nature of the test and if it's actually patterns he is struggling with identifying? Has anyone else experienced this? There is such minimal information on any visual impairment and autism... so I don't know where else to go. Any input would b greatly appreciated :) thank you, shauna

Welcome :)

Hmm, that's a tough one. I don't know if colour-blindness is necessarily common for people on the spectrum, as I haven't read much about it, but I could be wrong. I know there are a few individuals who do have problems with their vision, but it's not commonly discussed otherwise.

There is one post I remember reading at one stage; perhaps it's a starting point:
Visual Impairment and Autism | AspiesCentral.com

I'm sorry I wasn't much help in answering that more specifically, but hopefully you'll find more answers from others. Here are just a few links that I like to provide to parents of children with AS, just in case:

Parenting Section: Parenting & Autism Discussions | AspiesCentral.com

Recommended resources page:
Resources | AspiesCentral.com

New Threads

Top Bottom