• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Viruses/Anti Virus Software?

kasmanaft08

V.I.P Member
I need help. o_O

What's a good anti-virus software I can just download online? That is, better yet, free (or very cheap) if possible?

What do you currently use? Do you like it? Have you had any good/bad experiences with viruses or the anti-V software?

I have McAfee but I'm not that happy with it.

It blocked all my internet servers today for no apparent reason. It was a ***** to allow them through the Firewalls again.
I'm not sure why it did that. Weird...

Last edited:
I got a really nasty virus infection on my laptop earlier this summer that required me to leave it at the repair shop for about two weeks (Thankfully, I had my little netbook that runs Ubuntu Linux to use as a backup during that time). I had been using the free AVG antivirus, which seemed to work pretty well until it didn't. :skeptical: The repair show recommended Panda antivirus, and it seems to be doing its job so far.

ANTIVIRUS - Download - CLOUD - SOFTWARE 2012 - Buy - Protection - News - PANDA SECURITY

This is another program that they recommended; you can get if for free but there's a paid version that's a little better:

Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download

One thing I stopped doing due to paranoia over viruses/malware is downloading torrents (which I didn't do a great deal in the first place, mainly just to get the occasional bit of rare/weird music). I also installed several security extentions for Firefox (I think one of the big recommended ones is NoScript).

Last edited:
I was gonna recommend Nod32 but you have to pay for it; thought it was free.

I've been hearing about Cloud Antivirus, which ICM mentioned, lots over the past couple years. It looks promising. I'd probably go with it. :D

Here's a review of it.

As you can see, it gets a score of 5 out of 5 on everything and an overall score of five stars.

Region%20%282%29_9.png

Last edited:
I had AVG (the free version) for a few years I believe, never had any issues. Now we've got Norton for free from our cable company. McAfee sucks...I mean maybe they've improved but still. We've got some nasty virus with it... not sure how many years ago.

I'm giving the free version of Avast! a try. If it still doesn't work, I'll opt for the Panda one.
Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Avast is really good. Just a tip: never pay for antivirus. NEVER. lol

Most of the features in a paid version will not help protect you any further than a free version. They all have the same virus definitions. Also with Avast there is a feature called "boottime scan", which is worth running if you think you are infected. It will restart your PC and scan it before the critical system files load.

Also, malwarebytes (free version) is good to have and run monthly. The free version doesn't automatically protect you, so you have to manually run it.

AVG used to be really good for a free version, but it's more heavily targeted now as a result of its popularity. It's much more easily disabled by infections than avast.

Currently I'm using Kaspersky Pure (internet security suite) and Malwarebytes which I would recommend. If you are going for a free antivirus, remember that they only offer limited protection with many features (sometimes real-time guards) disabled. Also, free antivirus programs don't always include things like firewalls, which are essential. I would definitely avoid McAfee and Norton as both are crap.

Currently I'm using Kaspersky Pure (internet security suite) and Malwarebytes which I would recommend. If you are going for a free antivirus, remember that they only offer limited protection with many features (sometimes real-time guards) disabled. Also, free antivirus programs don't always include things like firewalls, which are essential. I would definitely avoid McAfee and Norton as both are crap.

Why is Norton bad? I'm a little concerned now after hearing this :) 1st I got it with the computer purchase for... 6 months or something... didn't really have any issues. Now we've got it from our cable company... what is the issue with it?

Why is Norton bad? I'm a little concerned now after hearing this :) 1st I got it with the computer purchase for... 6 months or something... didn't really have any issues. Now we've got it from our cable company... what is the issue with it?

Back in the day Norton was notorious for being sluggish and slowing down computers. I'm not sure what it's like now though but I hear it has improved. I wouldn't worry about it, I'm just saying that it wouldn't be my first choice.

You don't need a firewall with your antivirus. Windows has a stateful packet inspection firewall built in by default on everything from Windows XP to Windows 7, and on Server 2003 +. Also, most people now days have a router which also includes a stateful packet firewall with the added protection of being a NAT (which means they can't exploit the tcp/ip stack in use by your computer directly since the router is handling the routing of traffic.)

Most free antivirus programs do have real-time guards, many of the "paid" for features include things like outlook mail scanning, or website filters. It's not providing limited protection, simply one where you don't need the vast majority of what they do provide. More features doesn't equate to better security.

Also, firewalls really aren't "essential". At best they will prevent things such as worms from infecting your computer, which rely on vulnerabilities in the software you run that has open ports on your system. The everyday virus that most people get infected with will not be prevented from a firewall.

I don't mean to pick on you, but I'm a security guy. :p

You don't need a firewall with your antivirus. Windows has a stateful packet inspection firewall built in by default on everything from Windows XP to Windows 7, and on Server 2003 +.

You don't need it with your antivirus but I was just pointing out that some antivirus programs have them built-in. I doubt anyone would rely on a basic Windows firewall to protect them. :lol2:

Most free antivirus programs do have real-time guards, many of the "paid" for features include things like outlook mail scanning, or website filters. It's not providing limited protection, simply one where you don't need the vast majority of what they do provide. More features doesn't equate to better security.

Some free antivirus programs only offer limited protection though. In some cases a free version will only protect against basic viruses whereas a premium version will also detect rootkits, spyware and adware regardless of whether both versions have the same definitions or not. However, it all depends on what program you are using as they are all different. There are probably free versions that will cover everything too, it just depends.

Also, firewalls really aren't "essential". At best they will prevent things such as worms from infecting your computer, which rely on vulnerabilities in the software you run that has open ports on your system. The everyday virus that most people get infected with will not be prevented from a firewall.

True, they won't help much for stopping viruses, but to help protect your PC from attacks then they are essential.

You don't need it with your antivirus but I was just pointing out that some antivirus programs have them built-in. I doubt anyone would rely on a basic Windows firewall to protect them. :lol2:

The idea that firewalls have a different level of effectiveness is a myth. They all do the same basic thing, in the same basic way. They are all the same unless you have a cisco PIX router that costs thousands of dollars. Any firewall you can purchase as software will not be any better than a "windows" firewall. It's not a matter of relying on them. They all serve the same function and any attack against a firewall will be the same against all of them... Firewalls merely prevent network traffic from reaching your local computer. It's very simple and there exists virtually no attacks against them. Hence why I stated it's a "stateful packet inspection firewall". Every single firewall you purchase will be that...

Some free antivirus programs only offer limited protection though. In some cases a free version will only protect against basic viruses whereas a premium version will also detect rootkits, spyware and adware regardless of whether both versions have the same definitions or not. However, it all depends on what program you are using as they are all different. There are probably free versions that will cover everything too, it just depends.

Basic versions of antivirus do in-fact detect rootkits, spyware, adware, and all the others. Do you know how antivirus software detects them? It relies on commonly used hashes of various types of code that resembles common viruses and trojans, etc. Besides that, they have unique definitions and hashes for each new worm, rootkit, or anything else that gets released. If a rootkit can be detected by ANY antivirus or program, it will be in every antivirus definition database because it's public.

This idea that companies "save" better methods for detecting "rootkits" is a myth...

True, they won't help much for stopping viruses, but to help protect your PC from attacks then they are essential.

They are not essential to protecting your computer from attacks. Far from it. They were primarily made popular during the early days of buffer over flow exploitation..Which is essentially the ability to overwrite memory stacks to execute assembly code which lets a hacker take over your computer. Every single modern operating system, including Windows, Linux, BSD, macosx, and others, has various methods such as randomized stack locations, non-executible stacks, and so on. Firewalls serve almost no function in terms of security now. They are the least important aspect in any security system.

The only time a firewall will prevent an attack is if you have a vulnerable piece of software running, which has an open port on your local computer, which is highly unlikely.

OK, well I'll keep all of that in mind. Thanks for the info and I guess I've been reading too much antivirus-related marketing propaganda :D

I use the free version of AVIRA. it does have a single pop-up each time you use the computer, asking you to upgrade to the pay version, but it is very effective. I was using Avast, but it really seemed to slow my computer down. I have opened multiple virus laden things and it always quarantines them. Windows defender and the firewall built into windows work well also, so between those three you should be covered. Any anti-vir should be updating daily and doing a daily system scan, which should be able to be done in the background with no noticeable decrease in performance.

Out of all the other ones that has been mentioned, I would also go with Avast since it is the most effective one imo, I don't really like Avira though due to the fact that it really slows down your system especially if you have a system with low specs.

The one I've been using and I'm surprised its actually affective coming from Microsoft. Microsoft Security Essentials and it is free.

As I've used AVG free, anytime I've had to take the laptop into the shop with any problems, they (of course) do the usual 'arguments' about free software! The consensus here certainly seems to be rather the opposite, about that part, at least. How about for netbooks, though? Asking because my parents have one, for taking on hols & their free Norton year is about to end. I'd be thinking that, surely, the antivirus software on a netbook needs to do the same as on a laptop or PC but then why do they have specific versions for them?

Kaspersky is a very good anti-virus software to use. You can get online or in any store that sells computer related items( eg. best buy, staples, office max, office depot, to name a couple stores).

New Threads

Top Bottom