• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Very Restrictive Interests?

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, my interests vary like that - "Legend of Zelda" games, animals, mermaids, Harry Potter, anime.. While I'm going through an obsession, I'll do a lot of impulsive buying to decorate my entire room with stuff that relates to it, but then once my obsession changes, I get tired of everything I just bought and I'll want to replace it all with stuff that relates to only my new obsession. It sounds really irresponsible (because I guess it is) to be so impulsive, but that's an ASD thing too, isn't it? What a vicious cycle. :( Another reason why I want to just settle on one already. What makes it even more stressful is the fact that the change in interest can be triggered by pretty much anything - the scent of a candle that I associate with an interest, a song, a movie, my location, etc.
I knew that having intense interests was an ASD thing, but I'd never heard of anyone else going through the same phases repeatedly like I do and feeling distressed when the next obsession takes over. But yeah, everything seems hard to explain from my point of view, lol :D
Again, thanks for the replies! :cherryblossom:

Lol this is also a familiar issue, although I started to find ways to keep myself from buying too much, knowing that I may hate this interest in a few months.

I have to say though, I wouldn't like to have to be restricted to one interest. I think I would eventually run out of things to do with it. Plus I love finding a new game series to latch onto.

I have trouble focusing on interests when in love....it takes forever for me to fall out of love.
I get anxious and pace like a cadged Lion... and take massive bites out the evil NT world.

Hi guys,

For as long as I can remember, I've always put extreme restrictions on myself when it comes to interests. It's very strange. For instance, I go through phases of obsessing over each one of my interests, and while I'm obsessing over one thing, I can't allow myself to enjoy any of the other interests. I put pressure on myself to choose a favorite interest to focus on permanently because changing from one obsession to the next is emotionally draining and very stressful for me. I want to just settle on one interest and focus on it forever, but I just can't bring myself to choose one, and I'm simply unable to choose more than one. This is a very hard thing to explain, but is this common in people on the autism spectrum? Could it possibly be linked to OCD? I don't understand it, and it really bothers me.
Thanks in advance to anyone who reads/replies; any help is greatly appreciated.
Your Avatar reminds me of Lindsey Stirling

Some of you know about me collecting dolls. 5 days ago I found a site that have my type of interest. I decided to write an greeting introduction of myself and how I got interested in collecting. Never in my life until I join that site I been welcome by many people and so many people sharing much advice to me in a short period of time. I pretty much spend most of my day on that site every day. It like I found heaven. Joining that site made my obsession even more. Even though much of society is not understanding of an adult male into dolls, I don't care. If I have a choice dolls over people, I would choose dolls any day.
I can understand even as a grown woman I sometimes get misunderstandings,a few years ago I went to a shop to buy a my little pony equestrian girl doll and when I went to buy it the lady who served me noticed I had a my little pony purse and asked me if the doll was for me and I replied yes,she then burst into laughter which made me teary eyed but I agree with you I would rather my dolls over some people at least they bring me joy and there could be a lot worse things that I could be interested in than doll collecting.

I can understand even as a grown woman I sometimes get misunderstandings,a few years ago I went to a shop to buy a my little pony equestrian girl doll and when I went to buy it the lady who served me noticed I had a my little pony purse and asked me if the doll was for me and I replied yes,she then burst into laughter which made me teary eyed but I agree with you I would rather my dolls over some people at least they bring me joy and there could be a lot worse things that I could be interested in than doll collecting.
On MFC, I read someone post of a person returning back to Eastern Europe from Japan that bought some Anime figures. Customs asked the guy a lot of questions. It got me thinking, the same could happen to depending on the custom grad that serves me returning back to Canada should I make it to Japan one day.

She was mean and stupid...a good way to lose a good customer $...none of her business to even ask...and people buy and resell stuff like that all the time on E-bay for a nice profit.
How big is your collection :horseface: Adora? :)

Yeah, my interests vary like that - "Legend of Zelda" games

As someone who has just recently been going through a little bit of a Zelda obsession, I am wondering what your opinion is on which games are the best. I played some of them as a kid but didn't enjoy them very much, I think because I was always so focused on wanting to beat the games I played. I've been systematically playing them again for a few months very leisurely and have been getting pretty into it (I really liked OoT, I loved MM, and I'm currently playing Wind Waker which I'm a little meh on). I guess this isn't the thread to get into too much detail, but I was just curious if your opinions are similar and what other Zelda games you liked in case I decide to play another after WW.

She was mean and stupid...a good way to lose a good customer $...none of her business to even ask...and people buy and resell stuff like that all the time on E-bay for a nice profit.
How big is your collection :horseface: Adora? :)
It's pretty big I have some stuff I keep at my in laws garage in boxes but I have some of it displayed in the spare room of my house here is a photo of some of them in my room.
IMG_0968.JPG
IMG_1016.JPG
IMG_1017.JPG
IMG_1109.JPG
IMG_1123.JPG

While I don't put much restriction on myself when it comes to hobbies, I did notice that I had to do so for other things if I want to accomplish something. Like, say, I want to finish a game. I had a tendency to grind until my characters are at max level and then stop without seeing the ending. I had to restrict myself to that one game or I'll never be done with it.

Sometimes, it's the guilt of not finishing something I poured my time into that puts the pressure on me not to let it go to waste. Is it the same with you? Perhaps your mind is trying to remind you to commit to something but you're looking for the next high, so to speak?

When I was depressed, I clung onto any small thing that distracted me and triggered happy chemicals in my brain. If that meant buying something ober my budget, so be it. But then, the guilt hit and I'd feel like a failure at self control. We do have that tendency to feel overly guilty...then become depressed when we don't satisfy our perfectionism.

Wow, exactly! That does make a lot of sense for me. I seem to be pretty prone to depression, due to loneliness and anxiety, so maybe this is a weird coping mechanism? I say "weird" because it causes me more stress for a while. But once I finally accept the next obsession and commit to it, I definitely get a rush of happiness - it's thrilling and the novelty is so refreshing for a while. But yes, I do the same thing with the books I read and the games I play. Harry Potter, for instance - I still haven't finished that series because I can never commit to the obsession long enough.
Thanks so much for your reply; I'd never looked at it from this angle. :D

Lol this is also a familiar issue, although I started to find ways to keep myself from buying too much, knowing that I may hate this interest in a few months.

I have to say though, I wouldn't like to have to be restricted to one interest. I think I would eventually run out of things to do with it. Plus I love finding a new game series to latch onto.

Haha yeah, at the moment I'm in a state of hopelessness regarding this - there's really no point in buying anything related to my interest, since I'm so fickle. I hate it. :( But I guess I want to settle on one interest because it's an aesthetic thing for me. Like, say, if I settled on my Zelda interest, I'd want to drown myself in not only Zelda-related things, but anything that I can somehow associate with Zelda, like LOTR, HP, horses/other animals, medievial-type things... For instance, LOTR is similar to Zelda in that there are elf-like people, the settings are similar, there's magic and fantasy, etc. But Zelda would still be the root of the aesthetic. I hope that makes sense, lol.

Your Avatar reminds me of Lindsey Stirling

Aw, you're right! Lindsey Stirling is amazing :hearteyes:

It's alright, don't let those kinds of people bring you down. Just keep doing what you love, and you'll eventually attract people who are like-minded. MLP is a cute show! There are a ton of adult people who are into it, so don't feel bad.

As someone who has just recently been going through a little bit of a Zelda obsession, I am wondering what your opinion is on which games are the best. I played some of them as a kid but didn't enjoy them very much, I think because I was always so focused on wanting to beat the games I played. I've been systematically playing them again for a few months very leisurely and have been getting pretty into it (I really liked OoT, I loved MM, and I'm currently playing Wind Waker which I'm a little meh on). I guess this isn't the thread to get into too much detail, but I was just curious if your opinions are similar and what other Zelda games you liked in case I decide to play another after WW.

Well, I didn't quite get into Zelda until about 6th grade, which is when I got a Wii. The "LoZ: Twilight Princess" game came with it. It was the second Zelda game I'd ever played, the first being "Zelda II: The Adventure of Link," which I didn't care much for. So, I never got to experience the more classic games like OoT and MM first-hand, but Twilight Princess was (and still is) my favorite game of the games that I own. At the moment I'm watching a playthrough of "LoZ: Breath of the Wild," which definitely ties with TP as my favorite. They're both really beautiful; the stories are compelling. I've completed TP at least 8 times now, haha. And in BoTW, it seems like they're really putting emphasis on how Link is semi-mute, which I think is great.
I own WW for the gamecube, but haven't played it much. A lot of people adore it, but it doesn't quite feel like Zelda to me; it's so different. I would really love to own OoT, as I've watched part of a playthrough of it as well, and I love it, despite the graphics being so outdated. I actually love the fact that it looks like an older game (I love the classic stuff), and it really feels like a Zelda game, unlike WW (just my opinion please don't attack me lol).
I'd also love to own MM and ALBW. I've heard a lot of good things about those. ALBW is another playthrough I've seen; it seems like a great game. Still need to finish that one too.
TL;DR: I would try Twilight Princess, BoTW, and ALBW. Can't say much for the other games for now, but I'm hoping to know more in the future :blush:

Sorry for the super-long post, lol
Oh and nice collection Adora! :D

Twilight Princess was (and still is) my favorite game of the games that I own.

I'll probably play TP then! Since I'm not liking WW that much I was thinking maybe I wouldn't risk starting another but it sounds like TP is worth it. I played it like 11 years ago when it came out but only remember snippets. I've never played BoTW or ALBW, though if I ever invest in a switch I'd play BoTW for sure. In fact, part of the reason I started playing them all a few months ago was because it came out and I wanted to play at least some Zelda game. I guess if you dont have a 3DS it might be hard to play MM now (my brother gave me a limited edition gamecube version of it he got a while back) but I'd definitely recommend it if you ever can, though it has some unusual game mechanics.

I'll probably play TP then! Since I'm not liking WW that much I was thinking maybe I wouldn't risk starting another but it sounds like TP is worth it. I played it like 11 years ago when it came out but only remember snippets. I've never played BoTW or ALBW, though if I ever invest in a switch I'd play BoTW for sure. In fact, part of the reason I started playing them all a few months ago was because it came out and I wanted to play at least some Zelda game. I guess if you dont have a 3DS it might be hard to play MM now (my brother gave me a limited edition gamecube version of it he got a while back) but I'd definitely recommend it if you ever can, though it has some unusual game mechanics.

Sounds great! I think you'll really like it. The TP bosses are really fun. You're gonna love Link's "sidekick" in TP, lol :D BoTW is available for Wii U as well, if you're interested. It'd be cheaper than a Switch, and the Wii U graphics look pretty nice IMO. Once I get around to buying another game, I think I'll aim for MM first! I don't have a 3DS but maybe I can find a Gamecube version somewhere.

Am a Global Interest Aspie I unravel the Entire World...Hell to Heaven
That's why a lot of my interests are deep. Not because they sound big and intellectual. I want to understand it all. What makes things as they are. I try to unravel the mysteries of the physical through science and philosophy. The need to know. If some minds weren't 'thinkers', we would still think the world was flat. And would that be so bad? But there always have been those who want to go through the rabbit hole. :confused:

My interests can be pretty intense and change quite often, but I always feel like I failed at them, like I am not quite done or I somehow did them wrong. And I am diagnosed with OCD and not ASD.

A good example would be my interest in anime. I had a casual interest in anime growing up. There were a few shows I liked and I had the general sense that anime was cool and unique from other forms of animation, but I never got deep into it. On the cusp of my 30s I suddenly developed an obsession with anime. This meant not merely consuming what was popular at the time, but plumbing the very roots of the medium, reading books and articles about it's history and even the art history of Japan in general. I went back to the earliest examples of Japanese anime I could find, and created a list of landmark works to watch in chronological order. It was really awesome and gave me a whole new perspective on the form, but I eventually burned out. A lot of the anime I was watching wasn't all that good, or simply not to my tastes, and the volume of it began to feel daunting. I made it up to the early 80s when I started to lose the will to go on, even though that was a really awesome era in my opinion.

I would also go to anime conventions or talk with other fans and feel like a posure, because even tough I had seen Kobu Tori and analyzed the effect of World War II on the progression of the medium is seemed as though I knew nothing. I had never seen the "basics" like Card Captor Sakura or Neon Genesis Evangelion. I wasn't up to date with what was contemporary, or know the names of many of the big directors. It was around that time I started studying Japanese (in order to perhaps some day translate 60s shoujou, which is tragically overlooked) which ironically replaced my anime viewing.

So then I studied Japanese for a good long while, became frustrated with my lack of progress, and pretty much dropped that hobby as well. I feel like I have failed and wish I could maintain my focus long enough to see these things through to their logical conclusion.

I could site other examples, but I often wonder if my interests are the interplay of OCD (I have to do this) with ADHD (bored now!).

never wanting the order to be disrupted

In my humble opinion, the above is typical of both Opia.
With OCD your focus will remain on what happens after (That order has been disrupted) the result of which will be anxiety driven, compulsive behaviours and rituals you will introduce into your routine in an attempt to prevent the same from happening again.

You're sensitivity to your surroundings may be a result of your anxiety? (Fear response heightening all the senses in a maladaptive survival technique - unless you actually are in a life or death situation)
(I'm not a qualified health professional so there's every chance I could be mistaken)

I have a singular, intense focus on that which interests me at the time. I don't feel able to commit to anything else if I'm focusing on this particular interest. Be it sleep, meals, family, appointments. Those can feel like irritating distractions. The same can be said for other interests. I really struggle to commit to two things at once and can end up extremely frustrated if I try.

In my humble opinion, the above is typical of both Opia.
With OCD your focus will remain on what happens after (That order has been disrupted) the result of which will be anxiety driven, compulsive behaviours and rituals you will introduce into your routine in an attempt to prevent the same from happening again.

You're sensitivity to your surroundings may be a result of your anxiety? (Fear response heightening all the senses in a maladaptive survival technique - unless you actually are in a life or death situation)
(I'm not a qualified health professional so there's every chance I could be mistaken)

I have a singular, intense focus on that which interests me at the time. I don't feel able to commit to anything else if I'm focusing on this particular interest. Be it sleep, meals, family, appointments. Those can feel like irritating distractions. The same can be said for other interests. I really struggle to commit to two things at once and can end up extremely frustrated if I try.

Yeah, people with anxiety or an ASD commonly get sensory overload, but that's not exactly what I meant by me being overly sensitive to my surroundings (although I do get sensory overload almost every day). I only meant that I pay too much attention to my surroundings, which can sometimes trigger a change in my obsession, which is problematic for me, unfortunately. I see beauty in so many things that it's hard to choose a favorite thing. It's kinda like I have too much love to give, lol.
Anyway, I'm sorry you have to deal with that :( I'm in a similar boat, but I think my problem is rooted in my depression, so I'm going to try to keep my depression and anxiety levels lower by natural means like a proper diet and exercise. Maybe that'd help for you too? I've found that running works wonders for anxiety, so maybe it'd help keep our heads clearer.

Yeah, people with anxiety or an ASD commonly get sensory overload,
is ASD Anxiety sensory disorder or what?

I get fairly severe anxiety attacks on certain things... mostly new things...they light me up like a Christmas tree but I do try to do new things anyways in small bits.
Yes overload is bad on new things...I can on rare occasions go almost deaf...in overload.
I think my HF rating is deceptive...?:confused:
That is the problem with measuring autism stuff a person can look normal and have one hidden LF trait that goes
un-noticed...it is all very tricky to sort properly.

I don't seem to have OCD un-less it is hating incorrect stuff in life???:confused:
NT Blarney Stone social propaganda stuff makes me foam at the mouth.
I absolutely can't stand someone BS-ing me to my face no matter how powerful or Famous they are...?:confused:
I won't have it period...!:confused:

One of my brothers has OCD BAD!....he attacks me over it tries to make me do his OCD interests.
He is a very good musician tho because of it...I wish he would just stick to his music...he would be so much happier.

Sorry! I wrote too much again!:(

It's pretty big I have some stuff I keep at my in laws garage in boxes but I have some of it displayed in the spare room of my house here is a photo of some of them in my room.View attachment 35217View attachment 35218View attachment 35219View attachment 35220View attachment 35221
My aspie princess I just lost would love to have your Beauty and the Beast doll Adora...she loves collecting Disney stuff.
Sigh!:( I would send her some to win her back, but I have no address!
This year is turning into a horror, what will go wrong next?:confused:
I am seriously overdue for some good luck!:fourleaf::rabbitface:??:confused:

ASD stands for "autism spectrum disorder." Yeah, labeling people can be very tricky when spectrums come in to play. Sorry about your brother :( Maybe you should tell him that you think he'd be happier if he stuck to his music?

Hang in there, Mael. If you look for positive things in life, you'll find them. :blush:

ASD stands for "autism spectrum disorder." Yeah, labeling people can be very tricky when spectrums come in to play. Sorry about your brother :( Maybe you should tell him that you think he'd be happier if he stuck to his music?

Hang in there, Mael. If you look for positive things in life, you'll find them. :blush:
Thank you I am okay I guess?
Just lost allot of dreams in the last month...
I miss my aspie lady friend...
losing people I care about is hard, it takes awhile for my mind to let them go.
I do the best I can I try to be warm and understanding... there really isn't really anything I can do if someone isn't ready for love...except get a broken heart.

I get distracted by new things too...when I do focus on a interest I am usually quite good at it. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom