• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Very good brief article about introverts that makes them sound like Aspies.

Well, I am diagnosed with Asperger's and that article is a very good description of me. I was a little surprised that on the introversion-extraversion section of my diagnosis, I was described has being "Very Highly Introverted". I seem to be able to function quite well in the working world, however I have always worked alone. I think that the article shows one part of how it is for a lot of Aspies, but not all Aspies. Some are extroverted. We really are all different in some way.

I don't relate to 2, and 7 I've been told all my life and it's just the truth so I don't feel self conscious. But there's a lot more to me than introversion. I am introverted, but there's more than what's listed. If that makes sense. Very introverted, have been my life.

The big difference I see is that, among friends, those we like, an introvert is naturally gregarious and, instinctively knows how to socialize well, share speaking time, give compliments that are a bit of an exaggeration etc... We don't instinctively know that and, we more often tend to prefer to be quiet and withdrawn even among close friends and/or with family. We are not instinctive socialites where as introverts are, they just prefer socializing in small does and, with those they know well.

We may like and want to socialize but, with out a lot of conscious effort to learn mostly arbitrary rules and guideline, we don't do it very well, despite our desires and best efforts. An Introvert understand non verbal cues, metaphors and such easily where as we struggle with those things.

So yes, our actions and manner of socializing, being tired afterward and such present the same but, it's the reasons for those things that are different.

The big difference I see is that, among friends, those we like, an introvert is naturally gregarious and, instinctively knows how to socialize well, share speaking time, give compliments that are a bit of an exaggeration etc... We don't instinctively know that and, we more often tend to prefer to be quiet and withdrawn even among close friends and/or with family. We are not instinctive socialites where as introverts are, they just prefer socializing in small does and, with those they know well.

We may like and want to socialize but, with out a lot of conscious effort to learn mostly arbitrary rules and guideline, we don't do it very well, despite our desires and best efforts. An Introvert understand non verbal cues, metaphors and such easily where as we struggle with those things.

So yes, our actions and manner of socializing, being tired afterward and such present the same but, it's the reasons for those things that are different.
Thank you! What you say makes perfect sense. We poor Aspies are more impaired than simple introverts.

I follow a few introvert blogs on Facebook and often wonder how many are aspies and don't know it. Aspergers is rarely mentioned in their posts.

100% me. #4 is often quoted as being a characteristic of Aspergers.

Yes, this pretty much describes me, too.

This sounds like introversion though. They aren't impaired, they just find it draining.

This article from the same blog suggests that the brain wiring is different in introverts to what it is in extroverts, namely that introverts rely more on long term, rather than short term memory.
http://introvertdear.com/2015/05/13/the-science-behind-why-introverts-struggle-to-speak/
I think that there is something in this. However, having ASD is a bit more than being being introverted, because we also struggle with other things like reading non-verbal social communication such as facial expressions, and theory of mind.

New Threads

Top Bottom