• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

TV Tropes

AsheSkyler

Feathered Jester
Many of you here have probably lost countless hours to TV Tropes. I probably just lost some of you with that link. :p

I lost a lot of interest in movies and series in my teens and leaned even more strongly toward books than I already did. Time constrictions lead to cutting of a lot of material to the point that nothing irrelevant was allowed on screen and made most plots blatantly obvious to me. Not much fun to watch. I didn't realize then that I was spying those trope things. (The old word was cliche, methinks. Blasted internet kids and their renaming stuff!) But these days it's fun trying to guess what tropes are used when I watch stuff. Half of it still is eerily instinctive, like knowing a character has been killed when a related character suddenly walks in slow-mo and notices flashing siren lights.

So how about y'all? Do you usually spot a trope a mile away?
Did it kill your interest in fiction? Become a new tool to solve the crime? A bit of a private game? Or are you indifferent to them?

I guess I watch enough movies and shows filled with clichés... but who doesn't anymore? I mean, good luck trying to find something so creative and devoid of any trope. For some reason the ones with only a handful tropes always struck me as most interesting... but that might be a no-brainer to some.

I've spend countless hours on that site, so I'm not going to click it now, lol. However, I actually use that site to discover new movies, tv shows and comics (not much of a reader otherwise) I might check out. I'm not that worried about spoilers for some reason and care more for execution; but then again, it depends on what tropes you look for, for orientation purposes. Being the gore and horror junkie that I am you can probably see where that's going.

Oh god, I love TV Tropes. LOVE. IT. I also recognize tropes when I see them, which, incidentally is how I end up on the site so often. Every time I recogize something, I look to see if it has a name. It almost always does!

I have always been notoriously poor at understanding plots, easily lost even in simple action movies, and completely undone by plot holes. To be honest, I am only recently overcoming a tendency to take the movie at face value, aware that plot holes are a real thing that happens, yet never quite able to connect that knowledge to my experience. Time travel movies! Could they have goofed up the plot? No, clearly I am just stupid.

My favorite example is that I didn't realize what was happening at the end of The Sixth Sense until after it happened and my ex-wife still had to explain it to me.

I haven't spent a lot of time researching specific tropes, but I have visited that site many times. What I've mostly done instead is used my knack for pattern recognition to create my own mnemonic database of tropes—just things that I pick up on. It's going so well in the past few years that I can frequently predict how things will unwind.

Popular big production movies are unfortunately made to sell and are so designed to have a feelgood factor, and this is often at the expense of originality. It wouldn't do for the audience to identify and empathize with the hero, and then have the hero killed off at the end of the movie. Unless it'a a movie like Titanic, of course. I often prefer movies which are true stories, biographies, or perhaps not so mainstream ones. I'm not a huge movie fan, though.

These days I like to go on TV Tropes and look up various things to see what all they had going on. With the gazillions of stories that have been made, it's hard not to have at least one starting with the seven basic plots. One of my last excursions was reading the list for Blues Brothers and George Carlin. Who'd a thunk it that a comedian would have had such a long list? :p

I discovered the site at the end of last year and yes, I do spend a lot of my tie on there, with a lot of tabs open, and the number of them growing more than shrinking.

I like to read stuff about shows and films I've watched recently, though with shows I usually wait until I've seen all the episodes because even though the spoilers are hidden, it's hard to resist the urge to click on them and show them anyway X)

I also like to identify what's being used and what types of characters people are in the shows and films I watch, and then when I read their pages, I'll usually g "I knew it!!" if one I thought of is on there. It's fun X)

TV Tropes!! :screamcat:
So I'm not the only one!
Yes I can indeed spend many hours there. It is a regular feature of my browsing habits. I've always liked finding the connections between different media. I usually browse all the tropes in a favorite media, then find out how they occur in other media I know. I also like to guess which tropes go where and see if I'm right.

I'm a writer and it fascinates me what other creators do. I've always kind of I pulled media apart and analyzed it, TV tropes just gives me 'tools' to do it. I'll point out tropes to my hubby occasionally, which he finds amusing and interesting, but luckily not annoying. I don't do it so much as to ruin things.

Last edited:
Many of you here have probably lost countless hours to TV Tropes. I probably just lost some of you with that link. :p

I lost a lot of interest in movies and series in my teens and leaned even more strongly toward books than I already did. Time constrictions lead to cutting of a lot of material to the point that nothing irrelevant was allowed on screen and made most plots blatantly obvious to me. Not much fun to watch. I didn't realize then that I was spying those trope things. (The old word was cliche, methinks. Blasted internet kids and their renaming stuff!) But these days it's fun trying to guess what tropes are used when I watch stuff. Half of it still is eerily instinctive, like knowing a character has been killed when a related character suddenly walks in slow-mo and notices flashing siren lights.

So how about y'all? Do you usually spot a trope a mile away?
Did it kill your interest in fiction? Become a new tool to solve the crime? A bit of a private game? Or are you indifferent to them?

I don't know what a Trope is but I love to sit there and say 5/1 she gets gets axed by the butler in the end, sometimes I can call person killer and the weapon...then we go back and forth on whether I guessed right through the movie. I'm right allot but not always.:D

I have lost countless hours to TV Tropes.

I go there because I enjoy learning about how fiction works. I guess in a way I like seeing stories being broken down into tropes because , while I may be good with (written) language, but I couldn't formulate plots or develop characters if my life depended on it!

I guess I keep going there and hoping (futilely) that reading TV tropes will inspire me or something.

New Threads

Top Bottom