• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Trouble Sleeping

I was thinking of starting a new thread on sleep trouble but figured I'd comment in this one. If anyone thinks I should just start a new thread let me know.

What I am first wondering is if sleep trouble is known to stem from being on the autism spectrum.

I think I have difficulty ‘switching off’

I like the Theta waves on you tube but have to listen to it for quite a while without distraction.

My brain at 2am may be like ‘ooo should we remember the lyrics and tune from a selection of 80’s songs?

No, go to sleep.

Hey, why don’t we work out how much wallpaper to buy whilst it’s quiet, you go and get the measurements ...

No, go to sleep.

Let’s go over every conversation we’ve had today to check if we missed anything. Develop some useful scripts.

No, go to sleep

The human body is phenomenal, let’s marvel at our inherited immune system

No, go to sleep

You didn’t close that window downstairs

I did

Brush your teeth?

Yep

Are you sure everything is locked?
Ooo that full moon is lovely
I wonder what that star is called.
Are your sure you don’t want to sing a random selection of songs from the 80’s?
60’s?

Sometimes it feels like only a rhino tranquilliser will shut that **** up.
:)

I think I have difficulty ‘switching off’

I like the Theta waves on you tube but have to listen to it for quite a while without distraction.

My brain at 2am may be like ‘ooo should we remember the lyrics and tune from a selection of 80’s songs?

No, go to sleep.

Hey, why don’t we work out how much wallpaper to buy whilst it’s quiet, you go and get the measurements ...

No, go to sleep.

Let’s go over every conversation we’ve had today to check if we missed anything. Develop some useful scripts.

No, go to sleep

The human body is phenomenal, let’s marvel at our inherited immune system

No, go to sleep

You didn’t close that window downstairs

I did

Brush your teeth?

Yep

Are you sure everything is locked?
Ooo that full moon is lovely
I wonder what that star is called.
Are your sure you don’t want to sing a random selection of songs from the 80’s?
60’s?

Sometimes it feels like only a rhino tranquilliser will shut that **** up.
:)

Did you turn the oven off?

A rhino tranquiliser .... with a queue offering to administer....

My problem is going to sleep. Once I am asleep, I sleep good. Like most old men, I get up to use the bathroom 2 or 3 times a night. When I get back in bed, I go right back to sleep. I just can not go to sleep when I first go to bed. I see midnight every night and I go to bed at ten. I can not stop thinking about stuff. Not always important or profound stuff. Just stuff, I just can not shut my mind off. If I take sleeping pills that work, then I am sleepy most of the next day. What to do?

I've always been a very light sleeper. I wake up often, many times don't even feel like I'm sleeping at all. Don't sleep that much. Can't go to sleep until I'm ready to crash, then it hits me like a 40 lb bag and things go scrambled. I'm like someone posted, my brain never shuts off. If I ever do a "drunk posting" on here, that's what happened. I don't drink.

It helps me to sleep with a TV on the lowest volume. Preferably some predictable looped programming. When I'm sleeping even that sounds too loud sometimes but it's better than the thoughts in my brain. One night after doing tweaks to my satellite dish all day, never ending numbers kept flashing through my head all night. Made my head hurt.

Weighted blanket, all I do is just pile my laundry on my blanket and burrow under it.

I avoid eating just about anything the 2nd half of the day. Really messes with my stomach when sleeping if I do.

Also it doesn't really matter when I go to bed, it's when it gets light out is when I actually start to get tired. Since I was a kid I wished there was a 3rd shift engineering job. Well maybe not. Spend the sleepy time working. Spend the vivid night doing what I like, like playing music.

New Threads

Top Bottom