• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Training or Therapy for Those on the Autism Spectrum

I have . . .

• Received training, but not therapy.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't quite know what to do here.
Your reply was polite and gracious. I wanted to let you know I appreciated it but using the words "you're welcome" in my mind, sound far too conceited.
I don't have any alternatives (scripts?)

I also realise by doing what I am now doing (explaining myself) usually confuses others and can make them feel uncomfortable and a simple "you're welcome" could have avoided a situation I've just created :)
(Even though "you're welcome" isn't what I mean at all)

So, in an attempt to soothe my own self inflicted chaos and at the risk of sounding even more odd I will write 'I read what you wrote in your reply, I appreciate your grace and your manners'

(I am laughing at myself over the above and asking myself "what are you doing? Are you nuts?)
And answering myself with 'yes, probably but 'go for it' anyway'
:D

Don't worry, you have not created any sort of awkward situation with me; I am not uncomfortable nor am I confused by your explanation nor do I think you're nuts -- I get it :)

I am also an explainer, although I don't think I am very good at it.

I would not have thought it was conceited if you had gone with "You're welcome", but I can see where you were coming from....it's quite similar to why I didn't just say "You're welcome" to you when I found myself at a loss for words -- it seemed wrong somehow, like it was going in the opposite direction of my actual sentiments.

I think explanations are useful, they minimize miscommunication and misunderstandings about intent and meaning and perspective.....I wish everyone would try to explain more and assume less.

New Threads

Top Bottom