• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

top 10 reasons to be proud of your autism

My husband & I are both exceptions too, then. So are, probably 80% of the high-techies in silicon valley. There are many more of us out there than meets the eye. THere are Aspie engineers by the cart load & labs & research firms all over the world flooded with our people. The thing is that we're seldom in fields that garner media attention or fame.

I am a poet. Maybe I will become world famous before I die, and then again maybe I won't. But my poems won't care. They won't change one letter whether I am "successful" or not.

3. People with Autism Rarely Judge Others
I'm not sure I understand this, but from my point of view that is impossible. As people don't possess the ability to read thoughts, everyone has to make presumptions about people. People with autism may be less likely to make premature judgements about people as they have a long history of misunderstandings though.

I take this to mean that we do not judge a Neurotypical's choices, decisions or life circumstances. We do not care if they are gay/lesbian, religious or atheist, well dressed or wearing holey jeans, driving nice cars or beaters, coming from "well-respected" families or out of trailer camps. We accept people for who they are as we try to get to know them. We do not judge them for their superficialities. Sure we make mistakes because we are not good at figuring out what people are thinking or intending but that is not judgement it is an error-prone interaction between human types with two different brain topographies.

The solution for the autistic to successful social integration is to enter with the absolute expectation and foreknowledge we will be misunderstood. But we can arm ourselves with the fortitude to accept this social confusion as inevitable. It is more than OK; it is our destiny. Just as we know we will be misunderstood by the NT, so also we know, full well, we shall fail to glean and understand the inscrutable inner workings of the NT brains.

We must discard any pretense or expectation of quick, easy, social fluidity between NT and aspie. These social interactions will, by definition, be difficult and unpredictable. Neurotypicals will think what they will and what they initially think is irrelevant because it will be wrong. They are just as bewildered by our actions as we are by theirs. This need not be disturbing; their failures should be viewed as amusing. After all, these are their mistakes, not ours, and we should be unapologetic.

We must accept that social strains and misunderstanding will occur but we need not accept responsibility for the obstacles and complications; the failures are mutual. We must learn to enter social circles expecting chaos but reject the idea that the awkwardness belongs solely to us. Engaging NTs with equanimity is powerful and promotes self-respect and confidence. With patience, acceptance and time, mutual social understanding and communication between NT and aspie is desirable, achievable and rewarding.

Here's my favorite reason; to me, it's the reason from which all other reasons emerge:

Because if you have to choose between being proud of yourself, and not being proud of yourself -- I've found that "proud of yourself" is the better way to go.

Plain and simple -- you're just plain better off if you love yourself, spectrum or not. Life is hard, yes, and many people have a harder time of it than others because of the who they are and where they came from. But like the serenity prayer says, give me the strength to accept what I can't change, the courage to change what I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. I'm not going to change and become an NT, that's for sure! But I know that accepting who I am makes me far less likely to blame other people for making me feel different.

With patience, acceptance and time, mutual social understanding and communication between NT and aspie is desirable, achievable and rewarding.

In the short time I've understood myself to be an Aspie, I've found that embracing my Aspie qualities has made me far better-equipped to deal with the people I work and interact with every day. They have their challenges and difficulties just like I do. I'm much better able to put on my NT hat and smile and say hello and do that meaningless "how are you?/good, and you?" exchange they seem to enjoy.

Okay, I've got one that's a bit more in the original spirit of the thread...

Re: people with autism are not tied to social expectations...

Because I am more "immune" to things that hold NTs back like fear of judgment or reprisal, at work I have been able to say the hard things that other people don't have the guts to say. Like sending an email to call out the anonymous employee who had been smearing boogers on the walls of the men's room. A bunch of people thanked me for that one!

Most people don't want to stand out like that. I don't care. I just don't want to see other people's snot.

Unfortunately this isn't me. I have wondered about this a lot lately. I have many autistic traits, but not the one I wish I had. I have huge blank spots in my memory from my childhood. I barely remember any of it. Very strange.

I'm the opposite. My memory is great when it comes to my childhood. High school years, however...forget it. I can't remember a lot of it.

I'm well- known in Bardstown for my accomplishments in golf. Golf is my obsession! I have a list of championship titles as long as Crystal Gayle's hair. The focus that Aspergers grants me is a gift, compared to also having FAS, & being legally blind with nystagmus as well. I'm Aspie Proud!

New Threads

Top Bottom