• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thinking About Living As Hermit

The Penguin

Chilly Willy The Penguin
I had this thought about it time to time living as a hermit. I don't connect with most people and feel better connected with nature and animals. I have started doing research and though of adjustments I would need to make for my life. It will take time to reach this goal as their debts I'm paying off though I'm hoping to reach this goal in 10 years. This can be a realistic goal if I manage my money well. I'm impress with myself I'm doing better paying off debts faster while putting money into savings at the same time.

Since it will take time to reach this goal, I should do more camping and hiking trips during the mean time. This year is possible as I had this full time job for more than a year and have my finances in better control. The best part is I'm single and have no kids. I don't need to worry about this effecting someone else life for my life plans.

Doing more thinking on the topic, I work out my goal would to live near Banff National Park. There many other nice national parks near the area. What making me to choose this location as I love mountains, animals, trails and many other beautiful features of the area. I can spend my whole life studying nature capturing interesting things with my camera. This location is also not too far from Calgary which is a major city in the province of Alberta for times I would like to go shopping. It would be rare but it nice to have a good selection stores.

Anyhow I learn this point of my life is to focus on myself since as I'm good finding many things to enjoy myself alone.

For me, first and foremost it's all about money. Then being self-employed.

If you have both, you can pretty much dictate your daily contact- or not with humans. For all intents and purposes I've lived like this since 2007. Though I'm not actually "off the grid" either.

In real life my contact with humanity doesn't usually go beyond a store checker's greeting.

No doubt psychiatrists would consider this to be "toxic". :rolleyes: Talk to the hand! :p

Last edited:
For me, first and foremost it's all about money. Then being self-employed.
It a working progress. I put my business on hold while paying off debts with my full time job. I do have new plans to work back on my business when the timing is right.

I can make a decent income with my current job and able to increase my salary. I do know I don't want to work for someone for the rest of my. During the mean time, I use this job to develop new skills to ensure I can do better in business in the future.

There are many things I'm working on for my life to ensure I can have more options in my life. I'm doing all of these thing to try to ensure I never need to live in poverty again.

There are problems with living in Calgary though, rents are high, it won't really have many of the services you might need Willy. It's not big on services of any kind except as it relates to middle class families, it lacks the affability of some of the eastern provinces. I lived there for a year, and in Edmonton as well. BC's rents are much higher than either of those places too. But of course with Montreal, it's the language issue, its closest parks are jammed with people escaping the city all summer long.

A medium size Ontario town near algonquin park would be a choice that I would take. Having spent a great deal of time at algonquin and canoed through it I could spend a lifetime exploring that park, seeing as it's (corrected it's (7,653)} square miles. But the winter's are cold and snowy, and they experience a lot of extreme weather up there. And really for peace and quiet you have to canoe in, to get away from the well-used car camping areas.

I liked Jasper and found Banff quite beautiful, so I can understand why you would want to live near it. It gets really cold there though, winters can be hard in the rockies. But there are advantages, lots of tourists in summer make the place pretty lively and lots of cafes and shops. And the scenery is pretty breathtaking.

Last edited:
I'm not subscribed to them but there was a channel on youtube of a family that lived in a small house on a nice sized plot of land farming, living off the grid i believe it was. I just remember they wanted to grow most of what they ate and that they lived in a very small house, very simply and efficiently. I think nowadays with some financial investment its possible if you pick a good location. Solar panels, windmills, farming, etc. You'd just need to do a lot of researching and fundraising first.

There are problems with living in Calgary though, rents are high, it won't really have many of the services you might need Willy.
I don't want to live in Calgary. What I meant by services like if I want to go to Best Buy or some other electronic store time to time to buy camera gears and other stuff. Even though I can buy stuff online, when it comes to cameras and some equipment, I like to see it in person and try it out. Other reason being near a major city is employment opportunities though I would prefer to have my own business.

My house would need to way outside the city in a area with a super low population.

A medium size Ontario town near algonquin park would be a choice that I would take
That could be an options and I would be in my home province too. Going to Algonquin Park been one of my to do list since my childhood since I taken geography and learn how big this place is.

It gets really cold there though, winters can be hard in the rockies.
Penguin does adapt to cold weather. It hot weather I can't stand.

lots of tourists in summer
Hmm that one thing to think about. I hate going to most nature places during times lots of tourists. They scare away animals preventing me capturing the shots I want. There can be other places I can go during these periods. Maybe I go to the territories during the summer as not as many people go up there.

My house would need to way outside the city in a area with a super low population.
It is possible, you could find something, that's what I would choose as well.

That could be an options and I would be in my home province too.
Would really like to live near that park, it's one of my favourite places. Although there are lots of other great parks in other provinces. Wish I could hike through them all.

Maybe I go to the territories during the summer as not as many people go up there.
True enough, some of the NWT parks are absolutely beautiful with few people in them.

Pretty impressive real estate...but long ago (1974) when I was in those parts it did seem like a rather exclusive, and expensive place to be.

Lake Louise...and its hotel.

Lake_Louise_zpsqycbipjs.jpg

Lake_Louise_Hotel_zps64ppqwln.jpg

Yeah you are right, I'm not great with numbers, it is 7,653 sq miles. Told you I was dyslectic, didn't I? Amazing, I've been all over PEI, from one end to the other, didn't realize the park was bigger than the island. But, you can't get fried clams up at the park, or the ocean, crispy soft inside chewy fried clams, from a clam stand, in a cardboard carton. Just thinking about them makes me hungry;)

Last edited:
Yeah you are right, I'm not great with numbers, it is 7,653 sq miles. Told you I was dyslectic, didn't I? Amazing, I've been all over PEI, from one end to the other, didn't realize the park was bigger than the island. But, you can't get fried clams up at the park, or the ocean, crispy soft inside chewy fried clams. Just thinking about them makes me hungry;)

Fried clams. Old, pleasant memories of Howard Johnsons.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm. :)

I'm not subscribed to them but there was a channel on youtube of a family that lived in a small house on a nice sized plot of land farming, living off the grid i believe it was.
I had watch something related to this.

Solar panels, windmills, farming, etc. You'd just need to do a lot of researching and fundraising first.
I already own 4 solar panels that I use for camping. Though I do keep expanding my knowledge. I learned when using with a battery bank, using DC devices make the batteries last longer. I had made this adjustment with my equipment and learn the battery does indeed last much longer. As for living off the gird, I did learn a gas generator is still needed during days the solar panels can't generate much energy and when the battery gets low.

I decided my goal should be the following.
  1. Pay off debts
  2. Buy a van that I can use when I'm ready to move. This van also be useful for camping trips.
  3. Have a good amount of savings
  4. Workout how to make a income at the new location before moving.
  5. Move

A few weeks ago I got a bonus from work. I also learned if I generate more billable time this year, not just I will get a higher bonus next year, I can get a higher salary too. This is a good thing as this will help me reach my goal living as a hermit in isolation a lot faster.

With the bonus I did paid off two credit cards, and put a far amount of money into savings. Basically I put $100 away in savings every month. Despite there a few times I need to withdraw, I try my best to replace it as soon as I can. So this bonus got me back where my saving target should be saving $100/month since I started this full time job plus put in a little more money into saving than I normally do.

I very happy the way things are going, I can make things a reality. When I reach that point, I have an endless list of things I want to do to keep myself entertain for several years. I mean this is very important since i'm focusing a life with very few people. The few people that are on my list I will stay in touch with time to time.

I had someone a few days ago said I been a lot happier lately. This is because I made changes in my life and aiming to make my hermit life reality. I like the fact I'm find many things to enjoy on my own and don't need to depend on people to enjoy these things. The high key things I'm doing is things I wish I was able to do during my childhood. With my better income, I can do many of these things. One downside of this it attracts children. I don't really want children around me. I want to be alone in peace.

Please temper your expectations. People are almost impossible to get away from and peace isn't location dependent. I applaud you for making a plan and establishing goals. Based on your posts, I am confident you will find your solitude. Keep us up to date as to your progress no matter if it is positive or negative. It's important that we experience the reality of you dream. Thank you for sharing.

Please temper your expectations. People are almost impossible to get away from and peace isn't location dependent. I applaud you for making a plan and establishing goals. Based on your posts, I am confident you will find your solitude. Keep us up to date as to your progress no matter if it is positive or negative. It's important that we experience the reality of you dream. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks. I'm learning some of the things I'm into better off doing alone. My business advisory recommend me to join a hiking group as she knows I'm into that. I figure it would't work for me as my focus to connect with nature, take lots of photos and videos. There times I can stay in one area for hours while most people, they need to move on to another site. Being around people would prevent me capturing my good videos and pictures that I like to capture.

Me thinking more about this topic helped me learn more about myself. After graduating from college 2004, I moved to two different cities. From 2004 to 2009 I lived in Toronto. From 2009 to currently I am living in Nova Scotia. Both cities when I moved there I kept to myself.

Eventually I found groups of my special interest that I enjoyed in Toronto that I attended on a regular bases. The reason leaving Toronto is I was at a point not doing financially well and needed support from my father in Nova Scotia.

As some of you know, the worst experience of my live have been in Nova Scotia. Even during my childhood when my father had me move there for 3 years was bad experiences for me. I did tried attending groups but found it was not the same as Toronto. Furthermore, some of these groups was short lived due to lack of interest in Nova Scotia. I never witness so much discrimination in my life until living in Nova Scotia.

Anyhow, until I work out the funds for me to leave this province, I will continue to live as a hermit as I learned for the 8 years living in Nova Scotia haven't been a very accepting place for me compare to me living in Toronto I can find endless people treat me well. Mind you, I know many people from Nova Scotia had bad experience in Toronto due to the difficult culture. However, for me, I was born in Toronto and I enjoy how the culture is there.

Wherever I decided to relocate, I might continue to live as a hermit there as well.

One thing Nova Scotia did help teach me is learning why I had trouble connecting with people when I use to live in my home province. Part of it is me not fitting into the norm, and unwilling to be part of the norm as this does not interest me. So, should I do ever connect with someone in the future, I have my own expectations on a person I'm willing to accept. However, I'm not depending on a life of people. I'm focusing on a life mainly about myself as many people I interacted with both online and offline proven to be not dependable. I don't expect people to do things for me, but I do expect people to be honest with me which is a difficult thing to find.

The good news is, I done very well working on my life as a hermit. Most people I spoken to couldn't handle it as they are too dependable on people. I'm excited me growing my dolls and figure collection as I know I can always depend on them. I'm working on new things to buy.

Some of you know I recently bought an RC Car that I really enjoy. So I'm doing very well finding things to enjoy on my own as I have no time finding someone that might be into my interests and me willing to accept their characters as I'm having much higher expectations who I allow into my life.

New Threads

Top Bottom