• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The worst movie about autism I've ever seen.

BrokenBoy

戯言使い(Nonsense User)

So I was forced to watch this garbage at school for the past couple of days. Here's my list of reasons on why the movie is so crappy.

1. Owen's voice is annoying and I frequently mocked the way he sounded while watching.

2. He gets a girlfriend--something that most people on the spectrum can't do--and then it's established that he never slept with her all the time he managed to keep up a relationship with her. Not even once. What a loser.

3. I felt annoyed by this guy's allegiance to The House of Mouse. All you all know, Disney is possibly the most soulless and heartless corporation of our current age. He comes across as so brainwashed when gushes about how much he likes Disney movies. Move on to Ralph Bakshi, kid.

4. It's also messed up that movie plays up the fact that Disney movies are how he tries to understand the world. If I had feelings, I would be horrified by that. We all know that those movies are incredibly unrealistic escapist fluff, so his view of the world is likely very distorted.

So people who are in relationships for reasons other than lust are losers?
I recall it being established that the reason that he didn't lose his virginity is more because he didn't understand sex, not that he wasn't interested.

Are you seriously telling me that his girlfriend couldn't just take off her clothes and tell him to do something?

So people who are in relationships for reasons other than lust are losers?
Exactly. I was able to get into my first relationship, but never was able to move into intimacy. Things were quite different with my spouse when we were friends first and then had intense shared experiences. Sure, lust played a part, but it took a deep appreciation of her for me to want to make my love tangible and break down my anxiety due to inexperience. It was not easy for me to take that step and be vulnerable. So, I can understand how it can happen for an autistic person to have a girlfriend without involving sex.

Finally went to watch this. My daughter quickly outgrew Disney and went to Sims software, where she enjoyed burning down homes. Then Pokémon consumed every waking moment, then she graduated to anime and all that entails like conventions, making your own outfits. Disney couldn't hold her interest, think she quickly saw thru the social brainwash conditioning they run on young females.

Disney movies worked for this young guy. My daughter has some aspects of autism, so l think video games helped and home schooling.

Last edited:
Are you seriously telling me that his girlfriend couldn't just take off her clothes and tell him to do something?

What would that accomplish though? If the guy just doesnt understand it, or simply doesnt care, that aint gonna do anything.

I know if someone did that towards me I'd probably throw a chair at them. Or at least a shoe, chairs are heavy. And then I'd go back to whatever I was doing prior. Because heck with it.

Not that I ever allow anyone to come anywhere near such a position, mind you.

How can he give proper consent to something that he doesn't understand?
It seemed more to me that he just didn't understand how to do sex, not what it is. Regardless, you're still right. Though, I'd still argue he has no excuse for lack of sex knowledge either way given that he was in his twenties at the time of this movie's release. That's still pretty stupid of him.

Today at school we had to answer some questions about the movie as apart of the assignment and one of the questions was "What question would you ask a member of the family in this movie?" or something like that.

I answered "I'd ask Owen what he thinks of my glock."

Actually I think Life Animated seems to be less insulting and infuriating than Sia’s movie Music. I mean when you have a teenaged NT girl being told to act in a way she thinks could be found to be offensive to viewers and those on the spectrum to the point she has an on set crying fit over the part and Autism Speaks themselves declare the movie to be insulting and refuse to acknowledge any artistic attempt to make a movie, you know you have messed up big time. I mean Music has an entire scene doing that horrible and dangerous “crush them with love” technique to calm down the autistic girl and her sister, being the sole caretaker, is extremely selfish and acts like she’s some victim just because she has to take care of her own sister and can’t do what she wants to do and as if she resents being a caretaker until the end of the movie. The entire movie is condescending and insulting.

Last edited:
I can't watch this as it won't play on my tablet, but you made some interesting and good points about it here. Will you fail your test with answers like the Glock one? Sorry if so, you have some interesting and well argued opinions here. I suppose the film is well intended, but it sounds a bit patronising.

So how would you get over the messages about taking care of your health and any possible unwanted pregnancies to this guy? Or someone who's potentially vulnerable.

@BrokenBoy If you ask him what he thought about your Glock, he might want you to demonstrate
how it works! Who knows.
Just like with not understanding about sex.

Autism can be different in the way we think about things.
I might not have any desire for either, but, I like to understand how things work.
He might actually want a mechanical explanation and a biological one on sex. :p

That is hilarious. ...and a little scary :) But mostly hilarious.
Hey I locked a Sim that I modeled after an Oscar winning actress that I hate so much in a tiny windowless doorless room with no lighting and surrounded by rotting food, no running water or toilet, and I made her call 911 for no reason at all which drained all of her money from fines and I made her get fired from work. I also made her so unlikable that no one even cared enough to check in on her.

I recall it being established that the reason that he didn't lose his virginity is more because he didn't understand sex, not that he wasn't interested.

Watch Dhar Mann's video on autism and i assure you its worse.

My daughter quickly outgrew Disney and went to Sims software, where she enjoyed burning down homes.

That reminds me of this classic "torture the Sims" image from the depths of the internet:

sims01.jpg

All they can do is ponder the clown painting. That is their whole existence. The flames would be a better fate.

The best part though is that this scene ends with the clown coming out of the painting and teleporting around crying (yes, really) and then everything burns down on its own while random neighbors run around peeing themselves. The clown also burns down.

The clown is a secret character in the first game who can come only from the painting. He warps around and tries to cheer up anyone who is sad but always makes it worse. He wont leave unless you call the "Clown Catchers" service to come get him. Also he appears in Sims 4 as well.

The Sims has always been a gloriously weird franchise.

Oh geez just talking about this makes me want to dive back into it... I never did really explore the fourth game. Maybe I'll go start on that, sounds like fun.

That reminds me of this classic "torture the Sims" image from the depths of the internet:

View attachment 80055

All they can do is ponder the clown painting. That is their whole existence. The flames would be a better fate.

The best part though is that this scene ends with the clown coming out of the painting and teleporting around crying (yes, really) and then everything burns down on its own while random neighbors run around peeing themselves. The clown also burns down.

The clown is a secret character in the first game who can come only from the painting. He warps around and tries to cheer up anyone who is sad but always makes it worse. He wont leave unless you call the "Clown Catchers" service to come get him. Also he appears in Sims 4 as well.

The Sims has always been a gloriously weird franchise.

Oh geez just talking about this makes me want to dive back into it... I never did really explore the fourth game. Maybe I'll go start on that, sounds like fun.
I only played the fourth game on the 3DS. It’s not perfect but you can use the 3DS camera to take a photo of any person that you want to turn into a Sim and it works really well.

Hey I locked a Sim that I modeled after an Oscar winning actress that I hate so much in a tiny windowless doorless room with no lighting and surrounded by rotting food, no running water or toilet, and I made her call 911 for no reason at all which drained all of her money from fines and I made her get fired from work. I also made her so unlikable that no one even cared enough to check in on her.

It's possible to do that in a video game? Dear God, why. That's crazy, who makes games like that. I'm not familiar with the game, I played something called Sim City in the 90s but that was different. It looked like this, you just built a city.

sim.png

It's possible to do that in a video game? Dear God, why. That's crazy, who makes games like that. I'm not familiar with the game, I played something called Sim City in the 90s but that was different. It looked like this, you just built a city.

View attachment 80056
Yeah you can actually do that. The Sims lets you do insane things. I know people who make the Sims swim in a pool and take away the ladder so that they can’t escape and eventually get tired of staying afloat and drown.

Pirate it. The game is EA DLC hell. Also I must warn you that the developers are too lazy and incompetent to add features that were in the previous games. Whenever they do this (In a DLC of course.) it is horribad.

New Threads

Top Bottom