• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Undateables came back again last night (in the UK)

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Above.

Not available in North America or Canada, it will be available on catch up if you have it.

I recorded the show as I went to bed early.

Although I did see the guy with Tourette's, he kept calling woman "cougars", and swearing a lot! Totally inappropriate IMO but I know he can't help it.

Although I did see the guy with Tourette's, he kept calling woman "cougars", and swearing a lot! Totally inappropriate IMO but I know he can't help it.

If you know he can't help it, why say you think it's inappropriate?

I have Tourette's, and I can't help my tics, inappropriate or not. It's like saying "the fact that some people on the spectrum can't make eye contact and have meltdowns is rude and inappropriate, but I know they can't help it."

Thanks for letting us know.

This TV programme however doesn't exactly do much for the confidence of people with Tourette's, autism or other conditions when they see people featured on this TV programme being classed as "undateable" entirely because of these conditions. People with all these conditions are dateable, a lot comes down to confidence.

I have Tourette's, and I can't help my tics, inappropriate or not. It's like saying "the fact that some people on the spectrum can't make eye contact and have meltdowns is rude and inappropriate, but I know they can't help it."
In @Rich Allen's defence, occasionally when people write something, a particular way of wording they didn't notice at the time can be interpreted in a negative or even in an offensive manner, I know he meant no offence however (it's happened to me on a few occasions in the past, usually when I least expected it). I will now write what I believe he meant (@Rich Allen please correct me if I'm wrong): If a person started calling women "cougars", swearing a lot and the person could help it and therefore did it deliberately this behaviour would be seen as inappropriate by the vast majority of people, it is acceptable behaviour in this case however since he knows the person has Tourette's syndrome and therefore can't help it.

Unfortunately some people who either don't understand or don't want to understand still see people who have certain tics associated to Tourette's as inappropriate and similarly some people who don't understand autism will see not making eye contact as rude and meltdowns as inappropriate. Members of this community including yourself and @Rich Allen however know that this is totally wrong as we know better, but it sadly doesn't stop many others seeing it that way and unfortunately that's why many people with Tourette's and autism are still often prejudiced against in modern society, even though things have improved somewhat in recent years with better education and awareness there's still a long way to go in my opinion. If this wasn't the case then why is a person with Tourette's syndrome appearing on a TV programme called "The Undateables" in the first place? If they were treated equally and fairly there wouldn't be any issue with dating and similarly I've seen a person who is autistic on the TV programme. In a way the whole TV programme is prejudiced against people with Tourette's and autism by even suggesting that they're undateable because of the condition, especially with only Tourette's syndrome because people with autism can have communication issues and other challenges that aren't prejudice related (not that they can't be overcome however, they often are). If people had absolutely no prejudice against people with Tourette's they'd have exactly the same chances with dating as anyone else, they wouldn't even particularly lack confidence since they'd know that they'd be totally accepted by everyone no matter what tics they have (that would be a perfect world).

Last edited:
Ah, The Undateables. I’ve come across the series recently and so far, it’s been entertaining. I especially liked the one about the girl with narcolepsy and cataplexy — she handles it with humor (granted, she can’t laugh too hard or she’ll faint!). It’s nice to see her supported by her friends and family.

I agree, the show name isn’t the best. On the plus side, it’s also garnering the right kind of attention. Tom Morgan, who has Tourette’s and Asperger’s is now a model and spokesperson. And Luke, also with Tourette’s also seems to have gained some fans. Reminder, world: different IS attractive. :)

Personally, I just get warm feelings when the participants find their match.

Read my post, I didn't say anything about the tics, I was referring to his bad words and the fact he called women "Cougars".

Do you see?

Read my post, I didn't say anything about the tics, I was referring to his bad words and the fact he called women "Cougars".

Do you see?

Did you think that possibly his "bad words" were tics?

EDIT: I watched the episode. His use of swear words and calling women cougars were both tics. So your post makes no sense.

Last edited:
I especially liked the one about the girl with narcolepsy and cataplexy — she handles it with humor (granted, she can’t laugh too hard or she’ll faint!).
I was surprised to see her on the show considering she was a student at Loughborough University. Call me old-fashioned, but isn't that supposed to be really male-dominated? Unless she has something against dating engineers. Her loss!

Apparently, they are putting episodes on YouTube that people from the US (and Canada probably) can see if we really want.

New Threads

Top Bottom