• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The overlapping symptoms between Autism Spectrum Disorder and Schizotypal Personality Disorder

Oz67

I did an online test for Schizotypal Personality Disorder to see how much overlapping my symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder are, I meet some diagnostic criteria for Schizotypal Personality Disorder. There is so mach overlap.

I probably meet some diagnostic criteria for nearly every mental health condition. Turns out, I'm just nuts.

Everybody probably has some type of dysfunction when you look at our parents, our environment. Don't be so quick to write yourself off. I definitely suffer from general anxiety disorder since l can have a backup plan for everything.

Last edited:
I'm sure if you were to actively pursue diagnosis - you could end up with a huge collection. But would that make you feel better or worse in yourself? Empowered or helpless?

Ed

There is a pretty significant superficial overlap, it is true. There are also, however, some pretty noticeable differences, including developmental ones.

There is a pretty significant superficial overlap, it is true. There are also, however, some pretty noticeable differences, including developmental ones.

It's kind of confusing, although Schizotypal Personality Disorder can be traced back to adolescence or young adulthood, it can be traced back to childhood as well, although it's uncommon.

Id love knowing one thing-- is the autistic mind even that well known? How much of research on ASD brains is research on people suffering from trauma of some kind?

We don't really get a chance to know what we are actually like, except in what would have to be the exceedingly rare case of autistic people who aren't dealing with trauma.

I was diagnosed Schizotypal and Asperger's at the same time too.
I'd rather know than not know.
It doesn't make me feel helpless. Just more understanding of self.

We can't live our life as labels. We just have to expand our thinking, to see outside of our internal view of ourself.

New Threads

Top Bottom