• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Last Book You Read/Next Book You Want to Read?

I have one, and I never use it. The big reason for me is that while there is no tax (here at least) on physical books, there is on ebooks. This usually means that books that I want are more expensive on the Kindle than if I were to buy a physical copy. That and I don't have to charge a real book :p
Lol
You don't have taxes on books?!? :eek: LUCKY!

It took a while to get used to but reading is fine. The tactile nature is different though as you rightly surmise. I generally only use it when travelling / on holidsy because it's just practical. Either that or for the convenience of being able to get a book immediately if I fancy it...

But fear not! I still prefer the real article as evidenced by my bookcases...
20170512_233422.jpg

It took a while to get used to but reading is fine. The tactile nature is different though as you rightly surmise. I generally only use it when travelling / on holidsy because it's just practical. Either that or for the convenience of being able to get a book immediately if I fancy it...

My Kindle is pretty old now (4th gen I believe) and I have to say that the e-ink is amazing. I couldn't believe how much it actually does look like a real printed page.

Avid reader all my life, and it unusual to find the younger generation actually read books, given technology.

Have just finished 'All is grace' by Brennan Manning. I don't like fiction because it is just misleading. I prefer authors who write about life as it is - all have a story to tell, and all have struggled in one way or another.

I think that with age one tends to forget the facade that is expected by society, and focus on reality.

What's the kindle like? I never got one I wanted one when they were new but I normally get my books used or from the library and being forced to pay full price for a digital copy seems a bit ridiculous. Do they offer good sales or rentals. Not having a twenty pound bag on me would be fab though. The devices are so much cheaper than they used to be. Are they hard to read on? Is it weird not feeling the thickness of the book in your hands, having it change from more pages in one hand to more on the other as you progress through the book?
I have one, and I never use it. The big reason for me is that while there is no tax (here at least) on physical books, there is on ebooks. This usually means that books that I want are more expensive on the Kindle than if I were to buy a physical copy. That and I don't have to charge a real book :p

Either of you can read my book if you want :). No one else does! I have it priced as low as they will let me sell it for. You don't have to have a Kindle to read kindle ebooks, just as long as you download Amazons free reader app. Also, I can apparently "lend" my digital copy to someone for 2 weeks. NTs are like fish who follow a school, and my book has no clout. I just wish someone would read it and be brutally honest. I want to know if I'm wasting my time.

I like reading, it's good to cut-off from the world and unlike movies, music or video games, it can't be heard or watched if you don't want to, it's like going in a magical bubble that only let your imagination be all of your senses.

Even young, I liked reading. In fact, because I hated sleeping, I would hide in the toilet, put on the light and read until very late and if someone came in, I would fake being at the toilet and go to sleep for real.... Sadly, the trick was once discovered and didn't wanted to be yelled at another time^^

The last book I read was Partials, well, not the the first time I read it, the fourth in fact ( as I finally got the third part of the story, have to start it all over again ) but it is a good read.

It's about a world where only aroound 0,01% of the humans survived after a war against super-soldiers and now, no baby can be born because of a virus. The writer have a easy style so it's easy to read and the story gets more addictive as time pass before being so awesome in the end... and it's a saga so can't wait to be done with all the books^^

I'm part way through like...4 books at the moment I think? There's 'Sapiens' by Yuval Noah Harari, 'Night Frost' by RD Wingfield (part of the Detective Frost series, which the TV series 'A Touch of Frost' was based on. Fun fact, the author hated the TV version) and there are another two somewhere, but I think my sister wanted them back so I'll never finish them :rolleyes: (one was 'Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief' and the other I think was called 'Into Thin Air'.)

One of my all time favourite books (outside of the Harry Potter series) is 'Airframe' by Michael Crichton. Partly down to my special interest in planes and plane crashes.
Oh Sapiens! Is it good? I'm planning to read it in about ... 3 books time ;)

I also usually have about 4 books on the go at the same time. I guess it's the fear of not liking what I am reading and then not having a backup lol. This is easier now I have a kindle although there is nothing quite like having a physical book in your hands. I swing between Non Fiction History and Current Affairs books, and non fiction (often Sci Fi). I've been reading simultaneously:

The Periodic Table by Primo Levi
Marble Skin by Slavenka Drakulic
The Taste of a Man by Slavenka Drakulic
Pity the Nation (Lebanon at War) by Robert Fisk
Ark by Stephen Baxter
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

You may like Sam Kean. His books are: disappearing spoon
Violinists thumb
duelling neuro surgeons...

It is! Well...what I've read so far :p I'm about half way through it, but I'm also part way through a few other books too..
Thats a relief... hoped it wasn't too jargony.

I went on a theme binge of late:
The northmens fury. Parker
The silk roads. Frankopan
The witches salem 1692. Schiff
the case against fragrance. Grenville
Originals. Grant
suspicious minds. Gold
psychopath inside. Fallon
ego trick. Baggini
Never split the difference. Voss
quiet. Cain
spinster. Bolick
The confidence gap. Harris

I read The Martian today. I don't get the appeal of it. It was so boring! I like science in books but this was just sooo long and extra "wordy" when it didn't need to be.

Today I finished How the Hippies Saved Physics: Science, counterculture and the quantum revival by David Kaiser and I've just begun The Orkneyinga Saga by Anon.

A couple days ago I finished another cute teen novel, "Going Vintage," by Lindsey Leavitt. The cover totally caught my eye and I love old timey stuff from before my time so I really got into it, it was a good read with some twists at the end I totally didn't expect. :*

Now I'm starting a book called Violent Ends by it looks like multiple authors. It's been very interesting, almost like a bunch a short stories based around a central theme. I started it earlier today and have been attached to it very much.

Avid reader all my life, and it unusual to find the younger generation actually read books, given technology.

Have just finished 'All is grace' by Brennan Manning. I don't like fiction because it is just misleading. I prefer authors who write about life as it is - all have a story to tell, and all have struggled in one way or another.

I think that with age one tends to forget the facade that is expected by society, and focus on reality.

There's a quote somewhere found it :

Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth. Camus

Perhaps not applicable to an autistic outlook!

My view is that fiction is an enclosed system and complete 'reality' and it is possible to tell the truth from inside that system.
Outside , reality is messy and,in a way, it is impossible to separate the single from the whole when trying to find meaning. Ie it's too complicated.
So we invent stories to simplify it.

That may make sense or it may be complete tosh

New Threads

Top Bottom