• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The idea behind instructions

Avoidance towards a specific task asked or anger.
Such as washing up etc

Are you asking about yourself or children?
Being pedantic and/or seeing other interpretations can be an aspie trait. What you think is clear instructions they might not.
Executive function is typically impaired. They might not know how to do some things NTs take for natural. On the other hand, if they think its obvious, they could find instructions patronising.
Nagging aspie kids can be counterproductive. Setting a timeframe and reward can help.
On the other hand, we might not need copious instructions for computers or other tech items. Having said that some of us will read manuals cover to cover.

Last edited:
I don't think that's an across the board trait if I understand your question correctly. I'm often a self-starter, but that might have more to do with my OCD than AS. I notice things that annoy me and I have to take care of them. There are some specific tasks that I avoid like the plague though. Opening and sorting mail is one of them. I have piles of it stacked up. :rolleyes:

I myself am not a real good self starter unless it pertains to my special interest. And I will research it a whole bunch online before attempting it if its something I have never done. I need lists as I have very poor short term memory. Lists provide order and like many autistics, I crave order and routine. Change from routine ramps up my anxiety and increases the chance of a meltdown. But its something that can be managed and learned to somewhat control as well. Mike

New Threads

Top Bottom