• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The frustrations of liking older music...

UsernameTaken

I'm a massive fan of Rave music from around 1988 to 1997; these days, such raves do not exist, and going to a rave would be impossible to me anyway due to how socially awkward I am. To me, this is extremely frustrating. I'll never be able to feel the pounding bass drum or dance like a crazy person while off my face - raves in the UK are dead due to really dumb laws preventing people from having free parties.

So anyway there's this culture I relate to strongly and it's dead and gone. Sometimes I even consider stopping listening to such music altogether due to how incredibly upset it makes me I'll never be able to experience it.

Anybody else love a culture that is dead?

I've always liked some things about the ancient Greeks. :p But I know that's not what you meant. I like lots of older music, but I don't associate it with a particular culture.

I'm a massive fan of Rave music from around 1988 to 1997; these days, such raves do not exist, and going to a rave would be impossible to me anyway due to how socially awkward I am.

So anyway there's this culture I relate to strongly and it's dead and gone. Sometimes I even consider stopping listening to such music altogether due to how incredibly upset it makes me I'll never be able to experience it.

But... if you're socially awkward and think you're not able to experience it (going to raves) anyway, I don't see any point to get upset over it.

That being said; I sometimes miss pre-internet society. I miss going to the library and borrowing cd's and games there. Physically browsing the videostore. Not having everything spoiled on day one. Finding new products in stores and have no clue what it's about. I also miss pre-cellphone society, where there is no "social contract" to be available 24/7.

And I surely miss how society was a bit more "slow" back then. I don't mind waiting for actual letters for 2 weeks.

I could stop using the internet, but in this day and age, you're putting yourself behind a lot. It's becoming a mandatory thing (heck; nowadays I even have to log in for social services, you can't just not use the internet for that even).

Aside from that, there's probably a few subcultures I would've enjoyed being part of just for the heck of seeing what's going on. That's cultural evolution though. I don't know if any "older" styles of music hold up to other styles now. I don't know if Punk (the late 70's/early 80's) phenomena would still flourish now. Laws made such a lifestyle more difficult I think. And look at another example for the x-amount of heavy metal shows where crowdsurfing is a big part. Over here it's not allowed anymore since the past 10 years or so. Besides; what was edgy back then might not be as significant in todays "zeitgeist". For all it's worth the Sex pistols anti-government antics (and it's followers) could be on a terrorism index right now.

I love classical music from the 19th century. When I listen to contemporary music it often triggers emotions I would rather not feel so I never listen to it.

I am a big fan of pre-Internet music - that includes anything from Nirvana to Elvis.

When the Internet first started, I recall downloading illegally just for Britney, Westlife and the likes. Then, there's YouTube, and I began to listen to the Beatles.

Then my mother wanted to play some classical music for her grandson (my nephew), so... I began to listen to classical music.

Why the music seems to be better when it's older? Maybe it's nostalgia? :p

I'm a massive fan of Rave music from around 1988 to 1997; these days, such raves do not exist, and going to a rave would be impossible to me anyway due to how socially awkward I am. To me, this is extremely frustrating. I'll never be able to feel the pounding bass drum or dance like a crazy person while off my face - raves in the UK are dead due to really dumb laws preventing people from having free parties.

Anybody else love a culture that is dead?
YES!!!!!!! grind house cinema,film noir,german expressionism.

also i just like a lot of stuff thats out of the ordinary.

My tastes in music range from ancient to modern so, a lot of what I like is hard to find, but a lot is out there on the net too.

I do associate different music with different cultures to a degree, but for me, hearing or playing that music is like taking a trip to visit that culture. It's more a time and country thing than something like a rave or mosh pit or something. Both of which I've experienced and, neither of which is all that great.

My favorite genre of music is the "dance club" type of music from the 90s up till the early 00s. (Most of the songs on the "Night At the Roxbury" soundtrack are a perfect example of what I'm talking about). I just really enjoy music with a simple melody and a repetitive beat. Good bass helps a lot too. (Hip-hop is another favorite genre of mine for those same reasons.)

There was a brief period in the early 2010s when mainstream pop music began to incorporate some of the aspects of the "dance club" music, and I was really happy about that, because it gave me something new to enjoy that was still stylistically similar to what I've always loved. Unfortunately, that was just a fad - and one that lasted a bit too short for my liking.

Most of the music created nowadays seems to be melancholy, indie sounding stuff (which is the exact opposite of what I enjoy). Even today's so-called "dance club" music seems slow as molasses compared to how it was even just 5 years ago. :/

New Threads

Top Bottom