• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Aspiescentral monthly poll; April 2014

How are you diagnosed (in regards to autism)?

• 1. I’m self-diagnosed with any and all disorders I have

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • 2. I’m self-diagnosed, but officially diagnosed with other disorders

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 3. I’m officially diagnosed and that’s all there is to it. I don’t suspect any other disorders

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • 4. I’m officially diagnosed but I suspect there is more. I might be pursue further diagnosis

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • 5. I’m officially diagnosed with ASD and other disorders

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 6. I'm not diagnosed at all, I don't suspect I am. I'm visiting this forum for friends or family

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Oni

V.I.P Member
Self-diagnosis

This month’s poll is pretty straightforward, and perhaps I could do a headcount based on what members put in their user profile on this forum. But I’ve decided it could’ve been expanded a bit more.

The April 2014 AC poll question is;

How are you diagnosed (in regards to autism)?

Like last time, there will be a few options to select. They seem straightforward and I hope they're not ambiguous to anyone. If so, let me know through a private message so I can clear it up.

1. I’m self-diagnosed with any and all disorders I have

2. I’m self-diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder, but officially diagnosed with other disorders (ADD, ADHD or Bipolar for example)

3. I’m officially diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder and that’s all there is to it. I don’t suspect more than just an autism spectrum disorder

4. I’m officially diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder but I suspect there is more. I might be planning future screenings to see what other things I might have going on.

5. I’m officially diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder by a psychologist as well as other disorders (ADD, ADHD or Bipolar for example)

6. I'm not diagnosed at all, I don't suspect I am. I'm visiting this forum for friends or family

Because there is a limit to the characters to use in the poll answers, some have been shortened and might not exactly match the list above in their wording. They are in the same order though (for some added clarity, I added numbers to the voting options) and thus match with that

For more information about AC monthly polls; The Aspiescentral monthly Poll | AspiesCentral.com

Edit; Replying to the post does not count towards the votes recorded. It's all good if you want to reply to this post, but please, do check a box as well if you're so inclined to contribute to this monthly poll

Last edited:
I was officially dxed back in early summer 2013. The only reason I do not have other disorders is that, by good planning & sheer dumb luck, my life is organized in such a manner as to mitigate many of the 'interacting with the world & other people' issues that affect others. If, for instance, I was forced to go work in a retail store or as a waitress, I'd be a raving lunatic in 3 days flat!

Throughout my life, others have frequently weighed in with terms that they feel are descriptive of me, but the terminology used is not really medical, for all its anatomical content. Therefore, I doubt these valuable opinions could really be considered diagnoses.

Answer number 2 for me. I was officially diagnosed with dyslexia and word retrieval issues (whatever that means) in elementary school. But I'm still working on getting an official ASD diagnosis.

In addition to being diagnosed with AS and a Nonverbal Learning Disorder, I'm old, bald, and ugly, so there.:p

I was officially diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome in March of 2013. I suspect I may have some other kind of disorder I know nothing about, but I guess that is just my own personality. :p

As of now, I am officially diagnosed with AS.

As with last months poll (and perhaps I should've put it in the opening post when I posted it; I added it just now), your personal story won't be counted towards the total votes (and isn't as relevant. It's about the rather abstract data provided in the poll). It's fine everyone wants to tell their story here, though that data is something we/I can't really work with. Some might comment here and don't vote, some vote and don't comment, and some might comment and vote both. It makes counting votes nigh impossible.

So I'd urge anyone, who posted in this thread and hasn't voted yet, to at least cast a vote (if they are willing to participate). As already pointed out; I can't start counting votes from the posts in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom