• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thank you and good night

Nonny

I don’t have such an inflated sense of my own importance that I think any of you would care much about this, but it just seems like the polite thing for me to do. I had spent some time reading the threads and often wanted to join the conversations with questions or to share my perspective (to learn and teach as I’ve seen some of you put it, which I love).

So I joined, and I’ve posted just a few times. But I found that it kind of stressed me out. Someone would respond, and I would want to write back, and I’d spend time mentally composing a thoughtful reply and try to find time to write and post it. But I think I might have a compulsive disorder, and I spend much more time than is really reasonable composing.

Then I worried that there was some standard for how long it should take to reply and that I was being rude by taking too long.

And then I realized that I probably just shouldn’t put myself in this position (by posting), because it was causing me anxiety. Or I should at least consider what it will cost me to post and be judicious about it. If I’ve insulted anyone by failing to reply in a discussion thread, I am sorry.

I think this community is really great. Thank you for making me feel welcome, but I’m probably better off mostly being a wallflower for now.

I don’t have such an inflated sense of my own importance that I think any of you would care much about this, but it just seems like the polite thing for me to do. I had spent some time reading the threads and often wanted to join the conversations with questions or to share my perspective (to learn and teach as I’ve seen some of you put it, which I love). So I joined, and I’ve posted just a few times. But I found that it kind of stressed me out. Someone would respond, and I would want to write back, and I’d spend time mentally composing a thoughtful reply and try to find time to write and post it. But I think I might have a compulsive disorder, and I spend much more time than is really reasonable composing. Then I worried that there was some standard for how long it should take to reply and that I was being rude by taking too long. And then I realized that I probably just shouldn’t put myself in this position (by posting), because it was causing me anxiety. Or I should at least consider what it will cost me to post and be judicious about it. If I’ve insulted anyone by failing to reply in a discussion thread, I am sorry. I think this community is really great. Thank you for making me feel welcome, but I’m probably better off mostly being a wallflower for now.
Hi, Nonny.
By all means, engage at your own choosing.
I find that my desire to converse varies quite a bit. As a result, I go into "wallflower" mode also.
I find that while composition is somewhat laborious, if I give it my attention, I'm able to keep fairly current in a conversation.
I do find the same annoyance in myself, and my need to choose my words very carefully.

So, yeah, do what you do.

I have to admit that a random comment is much less stressful than starting a thread, then monitoring the posts in order to respond, if necessary.

Stick around, and I'm sure that at some point we'll be "wallflowering", or, what I like to call "lurker 101'ing" at some point, together.

Hi Nonny. I agree with Sidd totally. We all kind of respond in our own ways and sometimes not at all. It's not rude. Sometimes I get busy and don't read new threads and will get behind - if I have the energy I'll catch up, if not, I won't. Sometimes I don't really know what to say. Then sometimes I can get pretty talkative. I don't remember anything you've said as being insulting. Take as much time as you need, but don't not respond in fear of what any of us might think. We all don't even always agree with each other and that's okay, too. Your comments are more than welcome and I look forward to seeing more. :)

Sometimes I just read posts, but, I still find interesting points of view and a learning experience.
A lot depends on the subject matter, and it is easier to post than create a thread.
I get stuck at times trying to get the words to sound right, so it can take some time to compose
a post and others seem to come naturally.
A lot of times it depends on the mood I'm in.
If tired and depressed it is more difficult.

Time is another thing with me.
I have a certain time each day I go on-line. It's part of my routine.
I'm one of those who have a strict routine as many Aspie's do, that I don't like disruptions,
but that is impossible realistically.

My energy and interest and ability to pay attention fluctuates. I don't think that there is a rule here about responding right away or eben about having to post at all.

Thank you all. You’re very kind, which is one thing I like and admire in this group, and understanding, which is another. Thank you for trying to make me feel like there’s no pressure. I do appreciate it. I’ll try to take it to heart.

There is no time limit to respond to a thread, and no obligation. Not all threads interest me or are relevant to me, and I don't always have something to say or add. If I have something to say, I usually will, but often I need time to think about it and come back later. It take a lot of time and energy to compose replies, so you won't find me on here in the evening after work, mainly in the morning when I'm still fresh. If someone quotes me, I usually try to respond in some way - I reply, or if I have nothing to add I give karma.

New Threads

Top Bottom