• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Testing for an ASD...?

Um, sorry, what does "means to an end" mean?
These are terms from philosophy. A "means" is something that is used for the sake of something else.One doesn't desire a means for its own sake, but only for the sake of getting something else. An "end" is the thing that is desired for its own sake. A "means to an end" means something that (the means) that is useful for accomplishing something else (the end).

Last edited:
These are terms from philosophy. A "means" is something that is used for the sake of something else.One doesn't desire a means for its own sake, but only for the sake of getting something else. An "end" is the thing that is desired for its own sake. A "means to an end" means something that (the means) that is useful for accomplishing somethigngelse (the end).
Ahh.. Makes sense. I've never studied philosophy, although I remember it being an option in high school. I chose psychology, instead.

I called a few days ago and inquired about the testing, and they said the Autism test would be two hours long and cost $300. It's the psych-ed that's going to be very expensive... It requires three, two hour appointments. As well as an appointment to discuss all the results. I don't have insurance, so unfortunately none of it will be covered.

Well, I wish you the best. It is too bad it costs so much.

NVLD and AS are not mutually exclusive...I am diagnosed with both, and they can be co-morbid with many other disorders as well (though I'm not the resident psych expert, haha). If I were you, I would see what your college disability before you do anything.

Welcome to the forums!
Wyv is right. I have also been diagnosed with NVLD and Aspergers. Now the thing is if you are girl...a lot of neuropsychs and psychiatrists tend to lean more toward NVLD because they don't know much about females and Autism (but they are learning.) Now if you have insurance I would actually google places that do Autism screening there should be a place in your a read like the local Autism society that can find you a referral to get adult tested. Also Schizoeffective disorder is a disorder all on its own which includes symptoms of hallucinations and or delusions but does not have to have bipolar symptoms it could be just depression. Some poeple do experience both though( sorry I tend to ramble about that kind of thing I have my Masters in Clinical Social work and read the DSM for fun)

Wyv is right. I have also been diagnosed with NVLD and Aspergers. Now the thing is if you are girl...a lot of neuropsychs and psychiatrists tend to lean more toward NVLD because they don't know much about females and Autism (but they are learning.) Now if you have insurance I would actually google places that do Autism screening there should be a place in your a read like the local Autism society that can find you a referral to get adult tested. Also Schizoeffective disorder is a disorder all on its own which includes symptoms of hallucinations and or delusions but does not have to have bipolar symptoms it could be just depression. Some poeple do experience both though( sorry I tend to ramble about that kind of thing I have my Masters in Clinical Social work and read the DSM for fun)
Yes, I am female. I don't have insurance, so I think I will have to suck it up and pay for it. When I looked online, there didn't seem to be any adult autism centres around here, just private psychologists that specialized in it.

Sorry, I didn't mention my Schizoaffective is the Bipolar subtype and not the depression subtype. I was diagnosed with Bipolar before I developed hallucinations and delusions.

Yes, I am female. I don't have insurance, so I think I will have to suck it up and pay for it. When I looked online, there didn't seem to be any adult autism centres around here, just private psychologists that specialized in it.

Sorry, I didn't mention my Schizoaffective is the Bipolar subtype and not the depression subtype. I was diagnosed with Bipolar before I developed hallucinations and delusions.
Oh no I mean if you check with your autism society they can give you psychiatrists that specialize in females. Just make sure that you get someone who actually diagnoses females because when I had my second evaluation he didn't specialize in women and he had trouble with diagnosing me he couldn't decided between AS and PDD NOS (neither of which actually exists anymore due to the new DSM its all ASD now with severity markers)

Oh no I mean if you check with your autism society they can give you psychiatrists that specialize in females. Just make sure that you get someone who actually diagnoses females because when I had my second evaluation he didn't specialize in women and he had trouble with diagnosing me he couldn't decided between AS and PDD NOS (neither of which actually exists anymore due to the new DSM its all ASD now with severity markers)
I know one of my previous psychiatrists specialized in ASDs, but I guess not in females, because she didn't want to "waste her time" doing an assessment. The psychologist I was looking in to specializes in ASDs as well, it doesn't say what gender she specializes in.

I know one of my previous psychiatrists specialized in ASDs, but I guess not in females, because she didn't want to "waste her time" doing an assessment. The psychologist I was looking in to specializes in ASDs as well, it doesn't say what gender she specializes in.
Well I would just ask if they diagnose females its not a have to...but I would recommend it. Like I said. The guy that did my reevaluation was unsure which to put on my diagnosis so have NVLD, Aspergers/PDD NOS with the caveat that he works more with boys than girls. Also some diagnosticians believe that NVLD is splitting hairs over diagnostic critera. Most NVLD kids could be diagnosed iwth AS and vice verse too. I did a lot of research on it and from the research I have found that a lot of the research community believes that NVLD is part of the ASD spectrum.

When I seriously suspected I has AS I wanted to be tested because my personality demands concrete answers. I didn't want to do anything that might influence how I was perceived at work so I felt I had to have a private evaluation with no insurance involved. I had taken a few online tests and they all indicated I was on the spectrum. My adult son had a former college roommate who became a psychologist and I asked my son to ask his friend the cost of an exam and diagnosis. The answer was that such professional testing would be quite expensive. However, the psychologist friend also told my son that online tests were quite accurate. I decided to trust the online tests and have never spent any money on a diagnosis.

Well I would just ask if they diagnose females its not a have to...but I would recommend it. Like I said. The guy that did my reevaluation was unsure which to put on my diagnosis so have NVLD, Aspergers/PDD NOS with the caveat that he works more with boys than girls. Also some diagnosticians believe that NVLD is splitting hairs over diagnostic critera. Most NVLD kids could be diagnosed iwth AS and vice verse too. I did a lot of research on it and from the research I have found that a lot of the research community believes that NVLD is part of the ASD spectrum.
I will ask :) I've read that there are a lot of people that believe NVLD is on the spectrum as well.

I will ask :) I've read that there are a lot of people that believe NVLD is on the spectrum as well.
Yes there is a lot of Quibbling over it. It seems that a lot of girls tend to be diagnosed with NVLD compared to their male counterparts who are diagnosed with Autism. Now I was diagnosed with both. I think that it depends on our math skills a lot of times I have noticed that those with poor math skills are often given NVLD and not Autism. Anyway. Good luck with getting a diagnosis it does tend to help.

When I seriously suspected I has AS I wanted to be tested because my personality demands concrete answers. I didn't want to do anything that might influence how I was perceived at work so I felt I had to have a private evaluation with no insurance involved. I had taken a few online tests and they all indicated I was on the spectrum. My adult son had a former college roommate who became a psychologist and I asked my son to ask his friend the cost of an exam and diagnosis. The answer was that such professional testing would be quite expensive. However, the psychologist friend also told my son that online tests were quite accurate. I decided to trust the online tests and have never spent any money on a diagnosis.
I've tried the RAADS-R online and got 187.0. I also tried the Aspie quiz and got....
Your Aspie score: 149 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 51 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
I just need the official, formal diagnosis to get services in school.

Yes there is a lot of Quibbling over it. It seems that a lot of girls tend to be diagnosed with NVLD compared to their male counterparts who are diagnosed with Autism. Now I was diagnosed with both. I think that it depends on our math skills a lot of times I have noticed that those with poor math skills are often given NVLD and not Autism. Anyway. Good luck with getting a diagnosis it does tend to help.
Thank you... Yes, I am very, very poor at math. Actually, that is a lie. I get mixed results. When I try to do mental math, I can't do it. That's what got me on the psych-ed testing. When I took college level math in grade 9 and 10, the minimum requirement for my college program, I got 100% on tests and a 90% on my overall grade. I just had to have the concepts explained to me in ways I could understand, and be allowed to use a calculator.

New Threads

Top Bottom