• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Strange memories

Oz67

I have memories of being alive infinity times before, I wonder if my brain is playing tricks on me, it feels so real.

I guess the feeling of reality is hard to shake if the memories are positive. But given that the vast majority of people who have lived had brutal lives, people claiming past life memories without remembering a hard and brutal existence argues against the reality of those memories.

It's copies of this same life, but infinity times.
Perhaps a very strong case of Déjà Vu? The way Déjà Vu works, or is believed to work, is that Visual information is processed by the occipital lobe before the hippocampus. Sometimes they get out of sync and you can feel like you've lived a similar or the same moment before.

I get sudden onset migraine with aura and one of the weird things I experience is that words don't feel right, like I'm half remembering words that don't exist but I'm sure did. Like I've slipped into an alternate dimension where the words are different. Of course I don't believe that, but the way memory works, it can cause some funky illusions. :)

Perhaps a very strong case of Déjà Vu? The way Déjà Vu works, or is believed to work, is that Visual information is processed by the occipital lobe before the hippocampus. Sometimes they get out of sync and you can feel like you've lived a similar or the same moment before.

I get sudden onset migraine with aura and one of the weird things I experience is that words don't feel right, like I'm half remembering words that don't exist but I'm sure did. Like I've slipped into an alternate dimension where the words are different. Of course I don't believe that, but the way memory works, it can cause some funky illusions. :)

It happens most of the time, it's kind of annoying.

It happens most of the time, it's kind of annoying.
Have you spoken to a doctor about your experiences?

Everyone to some degree, has unique neurology. The way your brain works might just be a bit esoteric. For example, I am dyslexic and I'm told that really it boils down to "faulty" working memory. I can perceive things reversed round for example, like left becomes right and right left. When that happens I can get very confused, like when I was learning to drive I had to be very careful not to get muddled up. It's not like confusing left and right, as far as my brain is concerned, left can literally be right. The world is just backwards for a while.

So our brains can create very convincing experiences. Perhaps the way your brain processes working memory is different, so you feel like you are living a moment again, with very slightly altered details. So maybe there's a delay in short term memory being stored as long term memory. So it feels like something is happening twice.

It may be worth talking to a doctor about it. Be specific about how it feels as some doctors can be lazy minded and start reaching for some sort of mental health diagnosis. There's lots of things that can cause weird experiences, one of them is migraine. They aren't always painful (as I found out a few years ago). So a good place to start might be to ask to talk to a neurologist.

Have you spoken to a doctor about your experiences?

Everyone to some degree, has unique neurology. The way your brain works might just be a bit esoteric. For example, I am dyslexic and I'm told that really it boils down to "faulty" working memory. I can perceive things reversed round for example, like left becomes right and right left. When that happens I can get very confused, like when I was learning to drive I had to be very careful not to get muddled up. It's not like confusing left and right, as far as my brain is concerned, left can literally be right. The world is just backwards for a while.

So our brains can create very convincing experiences. Perhaps the way your brain processes working memory is different, so you feel like you are living a moment again, with very slightly altered details. So maybe there's a delay in short term memory being stored as long term memory. So it feels like something is happening twice.

It may be worth talking to a doctor about it. Be specific about how it feels as some doctors can be lazy minded and start reaching for some sort of mental health diagnosis. There's lots of things that can cause weird experiences, one of them is migraine. They aren't always painful (as I found out a few years ago). So a good place to start might be to ask to talk to a neurologist.

Not yet, I told about it to my parents, but I will talk about it to psychologist and psychiatrist. I should talk to my doctor about it as well.

Thanks! I seem to remember the same copy of my life many times, but some of those memories are too long to tell and can be distorted. My memory seem unique, but strange.

Not yet, I told about it to my parents, but I will talk about it to psychologist and psychiatrist. I should talk to my doctor about it as well.

Thanks! I seem to remember the same copy of my life many times, but some of those memories are too long to tell and can be distorted. My memory seem unique, but strange.
I'm glad that you are talking to people about your experiences. I think it's a good idea to talk to a psychologist and psychiatrist. But while you are talking to either, or both, ask them about having a neurologist talk to you too. Best to cover all possibilities in my opinion.

I have bipolar disorder (I guess I drew a few short straws), I've had some unusual experiences as a result of that. In the early days I found it all quite frightening, but when I understood what was going on and why (when I was diagnosed), it became less frightening.

I'm sure they will figure out what's going on and hopefully find a way to help, particularly if these experiences are causing you any distress or discomfort.

Brains are like super computers and sometimes their "code" can get a bit muddled for all kinds of reasons. You are doing the best possible thing by talking about it :)

I'm glad that you are talking to people about your experiences. I think it's a good idea to talk to a psychologist and psychiatrist. But while you are talking to either, or both, ask them about having a neurologist talk to you too. Best to cover all possibilities in my opinion.

I have bipolar disorder (I guess I drew a few short straws), I've had some unusual experiences as a result of that. In the early days I found it all quite frightening, but when I understood what was going on and why (when I was diagnosed), it became less frightening.

I'm sure they will figure out what's going on and hopefully find a way to help, particularly if these experiences are causing you any distress or discomfort.

Brains are like super computers and sometimes their "code" can get a bit muddled for all kinds of reasons. You are doing the best possible thing by talking about it :)

I can ask them if I can see a neurologist, thanks you!

Great advice from @MildredHubble :)

I have had super weird experiences like this. I don't know if I've ever mentioned them on here.

I often have recurring dreams, that always take place in the exact same environment, and it tricks my brain into thinking that it is a real place that I have actually been, so I sometimes have to confirm with people in my irl life that these places are not real.

I have a recurring dream sometimes about going to a resort in the woods in the mountains, it was never clear exactly where it was but I had a pretty good sense that it was Vermont. The dreams went into such vivid detail that I was truly convinced that it was a real place that I had been to more than once irl.
But when I asked my mom if such a place did exist, and described it in detail, she said we had never been to a place like that!
The only thing I can think of that might explain it is that my brain was making fantasy dreams out of real places that I actually have been. These places are dissimilar enough to the one in the dream that I know they weren't the same place, but I think my brain was drawing some details from these places (I have indeed been to a mountain resort in Vermont, but it was Smuggler's Notch, which is distinctly different from the place in the dreams. And that was during the winter, these dreams always take place during the summer.)

Another recurring dream I have is about a town that, to my knowledge, is not a real town that exists anywhere in the world.
These dreams also take place during the summer for some reason, and there is always a carnival going on in the town that has a ferris wheel and one of those tall tower rides that are visible from a considerable distance away. I don't think I ever actually visit the carnival in the dreams, but I always see them out the car window when traveling to this "town."
The place I do visit when I go to this town (I always go with a friend) is a nightclub that is on the basement level of what may be a country club. The interior is mostly silver and has a lot of neon lights, and the bar is made of glass. Which is probably a vague and common description of a lot of nightclubs, but this one doesn't look like any that I have actually been to.

The third recurring imaginary dream place is a condo complex, which really just looks like a hotel on the inside, but it is clearly made out to be a place that people reside permanently. This one always takes place around Christmas time because the complex is always decorated for Christmas.
This one, I think, has a more straightforward explanation because the interior of the homes there is constructed a lot like my grandparents' house, and the dining and lounging areas look a lot like the hotel that I used to go to for Easter dinner every year, just a different color (this place has white walls, that place had a dark wood aesthetic, but the furniture and the trim are very similar.)
The weird thing about the dreams about this condo complex is that I'm never there visiting a specific person, I'm just kind of wandering around exploring. Which wouldn't be out of character for me, except I would never do that in a place of residence, I would do it in a public place like a resort.

These dreams always disturb me though, because I'm so convinced in the back of my mind that these places must exist somewhere. I would be insanely creeped out if they did exist and I was seeing them in my dreams when I had never even heard of them in real life.
Makes me wonder if I have genuinely had past lives, or if there is a symbolic reason I am seeing these places in my dreams (assuming that they are in fact real places that exist in the world somewhere.)

Has anyone else ever experienced something like this? I'm afraid to talk about it with people I know irl because I don't think they will understand. It's super weird and it creeps me out.

Great advice from @MildredHubble :)

I have had super weird experiences like this. I don't know if I've ever mentioned them on here.

I often have recurring dreams, that always take place in the exact same environment, and it tricks my brain into thinking that it is a real place that I have actually been, so I sometimes have to confirm with people in my irl life that these places are not real.

I have a recurring dream sometimes about going to a resort in the woods in the mountains, it was never clear exactly where it was but I had a pretty good sense that it was Vermont. The dreams went into such vivid detail that I was truly convinced that it was a real place that I had been to more than once irl.
But when I asked my mom if such a place did exist, and described it in detail, she said we had never been to a place like that!
The only thing I can think of that might explain it is that my brain was making fantasy dreams out of real places that I actually have been. These places are dissimilar enough to the one in the dream that I know they weren't the same place, but I think my brain was drawing some details from these places (I have indeed been to a mountain resort in Vermont, but it was Smuggler's Notch, which is distinctly different from the place in the dreams. And that was during the winter, these dreams always take place during the summer.)

Another recurring dream I have is about a town that, to my knowledge, is not a real town that exists anywhere in the world.
These dreams also take place during the summer for some reason, and there is always a carnival going on in the town that has a ferris wheel and one of those tall tower rides that are visible from a considerable distance away. I don't think I ever actually visit the carnival in the dreams, but I always see them out the car window when traveling to this "town."
The place I do visit when I go to this town (I always go with a friend) is a nightclub that is on the basement level of what may be a country club. The interior is mostly silver and has a lot of neon lights, and the bar is made of glass. Which is probably a vague and common description of a lot of nightclubs, but this one doesn't look like any that I have actually been to.

The third recurring imaginary dream place is a condo complex, which really just looks like a hotel on the inside, but it is clearly made out to be a place that people reside permanently. This one always takes place around Christmas time because the complex is always decorated for Christmas.
This one, I think, has a more straightforward explanation because the interior of the homes there is constructed a lot like my grandparents' house, and the dining and lounging areas look a lot like the hotel that I used to go to for Easter dinner every year, just a different color (this place has white walls, that place had a dark wood aesthetic, but the furniture and the trim are very similar.)
The weird thing about the dreams about this condo complex is that I'm never there visiting a specific person, I'm just kind of wandering around exploring. Which wouldn't be out of character for me, except I would never do that in a place of residence, I would do it in a public place like a resort.

These dreams always disturb me though, because I'm so convinced in the back of my mind that these places must exist somewhere. I would be insanely creeped out if they did exist and I was seeing them in my dreams when I had never even heard of them in real life.
Makes me wonder if I have genuinely had past lives, or if there is a symbolic reason I am seeing these places in my dreams (assuming that they are in fact real places that exist in the world somewhere.)

Has anyone else ever experienced something like this? I'm afraid to talk about it with people I know irl because I don't think they will understand. It's super weird and it creeps me out.
I had dreams like that as well, except in my dreams I was at a concert and I knew the person's name and the lyrics she sang when I woke up, felt so real I was convinced she must exist, that dream affected me emotionally in a pleasant way that I started to google to find the singer and i found some singer with a song with similar lyrics. The song wasn't that good as in the dream and experience, but it was interesting I found someone similar

Does it have anything to do with my special interest in music? I don't know, maybe

New Threads

Top Bottom